Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I go to a supermarket website, it can give me a rough idea of when it is likely to be busy. Any idea if there's similar for public charge sites?
The in car nav has a bar graph for each supercharger. no idea how accurate it is.

20230101_145512.jpg

I've reset this thread's wiki post for 2023 and moved the 2022 site openings tables to a separate post.
Although site/stall growth wasn't exponential a few records were set in the UK and Ireland (annual summary stats are included in the archive post).
FWIW I've also added a review of Tesla's "coming soon" markers over the year (~30% of those listed at the start of 2022 came to fruition, increasing to ~34% of those listed after the first 2022 update in February with a 2022 target opening date).

how does this compare to US, Europe and China markets..? is it similar, or is UK now due a big supercharger install push relative to those other markets?
U.K. is the most challenging market for SuC rollout for Tesla as we have some unique challenges with new HV power deployment. These are slowly being changed and improved but for the time-being it means we likely have a more strained network than most other markets, but also makes it pretty amazing that the U.K. SuC Team have got >100 sites and >1,000 stalls. Compare that to Ionity’s progress and it really shows how successful the team have been!

This has probably already been cited but this document shows the DNO investment in “green recovery” projects across the UK. The pages for “MSA” show where big connection provisions have been made to motorway services.

Frankley will be getting nearly 12 MVa split between north and south bound and split between Tesla and third party chargers. Roughly 9 gen 3 chargers will be installed both sides.

This has probably already been cited but this document shows the DNO investment in “green recovery” projects across the UK. The pages for “MSA” show where big connection provisions have been made to motorway services.

Frankley will be getting nearly 12 MVa split between north and south bound and split between Tesla and third party chargers. Roughly 9 gen 3 chargers will be installed both sides.

Thanks for sharing this. Approval also seems to have been given for upgrade to the network to enable further ultra fast charging provision at South Mimms.

Sadly this may well not mean more Superchargers as Welcome Break will prioritise their AppleGreen network.
I dont see this as a bad thing as they will also be available to all Tesla users - see my comment on Abington Services above. Having banks of chargers in the same way that we have seen with Tesla SC's is the way to go. As long as they are maintained, they will enable the transition to EV's.

I dont see this as a bad thing as they will also be available to all Tesla users - see my comment on Abington Services above. Having banks of chargers in the same way that we have seen with Tesla SC's is the way to go. As long as they are maintained, they will enable the transition to EV's.

I think in the long term you're absolutely right. In the near term though, the problem with quite a few EVs is the low charge rate they can achieve. If you're waiting in a queue and there's lots of slow charging cars, that's not a good situation.

I travel via the M7/M74 route into Scotland and back quite often - does anyone know when the AppleGreen Abington chargers are expected to go online? Also, the document above about expansion of the national grid - lots of brilliant news in there as far as I'm concerned. Given the document is from 2021, is there any updated information on how the proposals have progressed anywhere?

could still see an upgrade from V2 to V3, much needed at crowded South Mimms, or even V4 perhaps?
The problem is that an upgrade still requires more HV power and that is in short supply (South Mimms is the UK’s only Powerpack-supported Supercharger site to try and get around the power limitation), and when upgrades to it happen Welcome Break will likely use the extra capacity themselves. Also, as far as I’m aware there have been no instances of Tesla swapping out V2 bays for V3 anywhere in Europe as the RoI just isn’t there.