Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The worst aspect of the DNO "Green Recovery" document is its limited ambition. If we are seriously intent on the sale of fossil fuel vehicles by 2030 and the removal of gas fired boilers in favour of heat pumps at a similar time, these proposals do not scratch the surface...we should be talking about billions not millions.
The whole system of DNOs needs replaced. We are trying to patch a system which should be replaced by 3 phase, all substations need replaced to allow discharge by dwellings of excess locally generated power and to cope with the additional loads that Home charging of a couple of vehicles per dwelling and an air source heat pump will require. By far the cheapest power generation is via domestic solar and I for one could triple my existing solar generation if I was allowed to do so and I was allowed to export and/or store much more.

The worst aspect of the DNO "Green Recovery" document is its limited ambition. If we are seriously intent on the sale of fossil fuel vehicles by 2030 and the removal of gas fired boilers in favour of heat pumps at a similar time, these proposals do not scratch the surface...we should be talking about billions not millions.
The whole system of DNOs needs replaced. We are trying to patch a system which should be replaced by 3 phase, all substations need replaced to allow discharge by dwellings of excess locally generated power and to cope with the additional loads that Home charging of a couple of vehicles per dwelling and an air source heat pump will require. By far the cheapest power generation is via domestic solar and I for one could triple my existing solar generation if I was allowed to do so and I was allowed to export and/or store much more.
These “green recovery” projects are funded by OFGEM which is in turn funded by DUOS (direct use of system) charges which fall upon bill payers.

You vastly underestimate the costs involved with overlaying cables, upgrading transformers (primary and distribution), upgrading services etc etc. There’s not enough money in the country let alone in OFGEMs coffers to do what you suggest.

The only sane option is to be smarter with the network we have, load manage, smart charge and upgrade where absolutely necessary.

FYI most mains cables are 3 phase it’s just that your service cable is single phase.

The biggest issue with PV generation is voltage rise, when your panels are generating power in the middle of the day the domestic load is almost non existent so the system voltage rises beyond the allowable statutory limits which would kick your inverter out (understandably pissing you off). For this reason PV volt rise is limited by limiting the amount of PV on each substation. There’s no easy way around this, even having your own substation (ridiculous) pushes the problem further up the voltage chain and then you run into harmonic issues.

Closing point - it’s all been looked at by people smarter than you and I and for many years, there’s no easy fix.

You vastly underestimate the costs involved with overlaying cables, upgrading transformers (primary and distribution), upgrading services etc etc. There’s not enough money in the country let alone in OFGEMs coffers to do what you suggest.
But isn't this exactly the reason Tesla developed the Megapack? Every site should have one to reduce load on the grid and allow charging at cheap times. It's not as if there's a shortage of space at most sites.

Heathrow Hotel has both ... took my mate there after he collected his Y and told him he had to charge at the stalls "with only one cable" ... plenty of Newbies ?charging, more slowly and paired, at the V2s ...
A number of sites have both where V3 was added to V2 but there has never been a case of Tesla upgrading V2 bays to V3. Welcome Break seem to be reluctant to allow Tesla more than current bay numbers so the suggestion that they might be upgraded to increase throughput I think is highly unlikely,

But isn't this exactly the reason Tesla developed the Megapack? Every site should have one to reduce load on the grid and allow charging at cheap times. It's not as if there's a shortage of space at most sites.
MegaPacks are massively expensive. I’ve had conversations with the SuC team about exactly this and the answer is always the same; the sheer cost of adding a Megapack damages the return on investment calculation which then makes a site unlikely to be viable.
We may see an improvement to this when the HV upgrades are no longer billed to Tesla (or other network operator) and are paid centrally. This will mean that a site’s cost will be dramatically reduced (by many hundreds of thousands). My bet is that this will mean that the RoI calculation becomes much better, and then including Megapacks becomes viable for some sites. It might even be possible that MegaPacks could be used widely and serve a dual purpose by also providing timeshifting and grid support for electricity price reduction and another source of revenue respectively.

My comments were more in response to the idea of giving everyone 3 phase supplies and upgrading substations to accommodate generation.

Battery storage could help but the AC/DC conversion throws up plenty of harmonics which can affect the network and de-rate it. As it acts in parallel with the “grid” and not in island mode it also contributes to fault levels and voltage rise which all have to be considered.

Again, this is all being looked at by people paid a lot more than me.

Update on Abington Services
Called this afternoon for a quick splash and dash.
The Applegreen chargers are still not commissioned. There is a further expansion to the left of the Tesla SC area that I could not work out, but has more conduit coming up from concrete ground structures
A4FA8818-EE7C-47E4-9090-E4068BA7FA89.jpeg
B2F6A771-381D-45DE-AD74-75A64BA45AC9.jpeg

These “green recovery” projects are funded by OFGEM which is in turn funded by DUOS (direct use of system) charges which fall upon bill payers.

The only sane option is to be smarter with the network we have, load manage, smart charge and upgrade where absolutely necessary.

FYI most mains cables are 3 phase it’s just that your service cable is single phase.

The biggest issue with PV generation is voltage rise, when your panels are generating power in the middle of the day the domestic load is almost non existent so the system voltage rises beyond the allowable statutory limits which would kick your inverter out (understandably pissing you off). For this reason PV volt rise is limited by limiting the amount of PV on each substation. There’s no easy way around this, even having your own substation (ridiculous) pushes the problem further up the voltage chain and then you run into harmonic issues.

Closing point - it’s all been looked at by people smarter than you and I and for many years, there’s no easy fix.
I do not underestimate the costs but maybe we should start with a clean piece of paper and design and install an electric system which is fit for purpose from scratch. We are tinkering with a system that I doubt will ever be able to cope with a 21st century system lifestyle. They are already wasting billions on the wrong type of nuclear power stations, fueling biomass with unsustainable wood, building too many wind farms without establishing a home grown industry. Their plans to switch to no new fossil fuel vehicles will destroy the UK car industry and we are currently experiencing the difficulties posed by ramping up electric sales without a proper charging infrastructure.
They are already wasting billions on upgrading the gas system to take hydrogen - this is a total waste of money as it will never happen.
I would hope it has already been looked at by people smarter than you and I and for many years, However if there is no easy fix they should move to a fix easy or not. This is essential.
That is a major issue in this country, people are great at looking at things and then never taking a decision! We have spent over 25 years dillydallying about nuclear. We have spent 40 years with an NHS problem which cannot be fixed but needs redesigned. Our political system cannot deal with any solution which is longterm.

Carmarthen update: it appears this will be another of the about-to-launch Tesla paid 3-phase AC charging sites (in addition to Celtic Manor, Guildford and Dorking) as it seems like additional bays will have wall connectors.
I expect payment to be the same method as Superchargers (automatically for Teslas, and via the app for other makes).

Having your own Powerwall and EV on the line would certainly minimise this. Happy for my inverter to shut off if voltage goes high. That is where it should be managed rather than limiting local PV capacity. Adding storage to the substations to provide load would help.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Carmarthen update: it appears this will be another of the about-to-launch Tesla paid 3-phase AC charging sites (in addition to Celtic Manor, Guildford and Dorking) as it seems like additional bays will have wall connectors.
I expect payment to be the same method as Superchargers (automatically for Teslas, and via the app for other makes).
The Celtic Manor is currently on free vend for there 18 AC chargers. They are single phase 7kw.

I’ve asked a senior member of staff if the charging is going to be free for the foreseeable. As far as he knows it is and he’s submitted a request to use the free charging offering in his marketing materials.

However you do have to pay for parking after 3 hours. (Free 30% charge isn’t to be knocked)

Parking fees are currently:
0-3 Hours Free
3-5 Hours £3.00
5-8 Hours £4.00
8-12 Hours £8.50
12-24 Hours £13.00
Overnight Resident £8.50 (charge per night up to 24 hours)

I live locally and walking around the golf courses of a weekend with the family is a lovely way to spend your time. So it’s a win win for me.

Not sure how long the free charging will last. I know these chargers are capable of billing. I don’t think Tesla released the functionality globally yet. Or at least in the UK.
Also there’s nothing near the chargers that looks posed to have a sign attached explaining how you’d start a charge for none Tesla owners.

Maybe it’s part of the Supercharger install deal.
We’ll give you the land, Tesla install 18 AC chargers and cover the £££.
Who knows?
I’m up the resort a couple of times a week. I’ll report back when I see or hear more.

The Celtic Manor is currently on free vend for there 18 AC chargers. They are single phase 7kw.

I’ve asked a senior member of staff if the charging is going to be free for the foreseeable. As far as he knows it is and he’s submitted a request to use the free charging offering in his marketing materials.

However you do have to pay for parking after 3 hours. (Free 30% charge isn’t to be knocked)

Parking fees are currently:
0-3 Hours Free
3-5 Hours £3.00
5-8 Hours £4.00
8-12 Hours £8.50
12-24 Hours £13.00
Overnight Resident £8.50 (charge per night up to 24 hours)

I live locally and walking around the golf courses of a weekend with the family is a lovely way to spend your time. So it’s a win win for me.

Not sure how long the free charging will last. I know these chargers are capable of billing. I don’t think Tesla released the functionality globally yet. Or at least in the UK.
Also there’s nothing near the chargers that looks posed to have a sign attached explaining how you’d start a charge for none Tesla owners.

Maybe it’s part of the Supercharger install deal.
We’ll give you the land, Tesla install 18 AC chargers and cover the £££.
Who knows?
I’m up the resort a couple of times a week. I’ll report back when I see or hear more.
It will be interesting to see what happens as these four sites would likely see significant advantage being taking (Guildford and Dorking have no parking charges), and with wholesale prices being so high it would be a surprising time for anyone to introduce free charging.
Guildford and Dorking are likely to open soon so I‘m looking forward to seeing what happens!