Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For example:

View attachment 448362

Red = Active
Green = Active - added in last 2 years (not colour coded for whether the site was "grey" last time, or not).

Grey = "Coming soon". NOT on the map 2 years ago.
Pink = Grey 2 years ago, still "coming soon" grey.

Blue = Grey last time, disappeared since. Some (such as Ipswich (grey last time), and Colchester (under construction) are "somewhere near each other" and presumably reasonable to consider as replacements for each other ... but definitely not if your plan had a requirement for it to be at Original Position).

Really useful info thanks. A bit depressing that only 6 new sites seem to have been added in the lase 2 years. It is still a massive plus for me though compared to hunting rapids in my i3 as I used to have to do!

Reactions: CMc1
A bit depressing that only 6 new sites seem to have been added in the lase 2 years

I agree ... but just wanted to be realistic that all the Grey Pins may / may not result in actual Superchargers. Not sure all this is Tesla's fault though ... they have had some spectacular failures on some sites - all stalls fully rolled out 24 months, or more, ago but still waiting for a "fat cable" to be installed or in another instance held to ransom by a greedy landowner over wayleave. Hard to tell who they might be in negotiation with, or red-tape, that is taking ages ...

But flip side I struggle to believe that Tesla have unlimited cash for Supercharger rollout ... although they do seem to have way more cash available than my bank is inclined to lend me!! ... so my expectations are trimmed by that.

MorayEVGuy, I thought Charge Scotland had good coverage (and it's free) but obviously that's not the case.We are planning a month trip around the whole of Scotland but will need to look close now at charging as we don't want to left out in the open!

My comment was about the lack of Supercharges north of the Border, the Chargeplace Scotland coverage is fairly good. I use ZapMap to check on chargers, most are free but some areas do charge a set fee for fast chargers (50kw CCS).

Superchargers are in Perth, Dundee and Aviemore and also there are Tesla destination chargers dotted around as well.

Supposedly there are plans for Superchargers in Inverness and Fort William but I don't see that happening any time soon.

In the meantime enjoy your trip around Scotland, I'm sure you'll get on fine, might need a little extra planning but that's all part of the fun of being an EV owner :D

Reactions: Roy W.
For Tesla destination chargers, do you have to use the facilities? Eg; hotel booking or can we just turn up?

They are normally only for the use of customers, which is fair enough as they pay for the electricity. Tesla only supply the units.

They aren’t supposed to make a charge for using the chargers, but it has been known for the odd one or two to try.

Wherever I use them I make sure I thank them for providing the facility.

My comment was about the lack of Supercharges north of the Border, the Chargeplace Scotland coverage is fairly good. I use ZapMap to check on chargers, most are free but some areas do charge a set fee for fast chargers (50kw CCS).

Superchargers are in Perth, Dundee and Aviemore and also there are Tesla destination chargers dotted around as well.

Superchargers also at Gretna, Abington and Edinburgh. Lots of other chargers around but not with the kind of reliability of Tesla's own SC.

Reactions: MorayEVGuy
Good question! In theory and usually...no.
There is a ramp which is controlled by the Ramada hotel...on behalf of Highways England. They only admit hotel guests and their workers...by order.

However, I was there on Saturday and the ramp was lowered. 30 mins later, when I exited....still flat.

Unreliable but sometimes....
I visited this Supercharger this evening approaching from Northbound carriageway ... but wanting to return Southbound. Barrier was down which made this possible, saving about 20 minutes. It is possible to access chargers from Southbound carriageway. However, this is only possible due to mechanical failure of the barriers installed by Highways England. Engineers have been on-site but have failed to fix the barrier so far. They will be trying again soon so unlikely that this access will be a long-term possibility.

• Informative
Reactions: IanMcL and cezdoc
Good question! In theory and usually...no.
There is a ramp which is controlled by the Ramada hotel...on behalf of Highways England. They only admit hotel guests and their workers...by order.

However, I was there on Saturday and the ramp was lowered. 30 mins later, when I exited....still flat.

Unreliable but sometimes....
So all you can do is get rt in from the south? And how easy is thst considering its a service area with the chargers

I visited this Supercharger this evening approaching from Northbound carriageway ... but wanting to return Southbound. Barrier was down which made this possible, saving about 20 minutes. It is possible to access chargers from Southbound carriageway. However, this is only possible due to mechanical failure of the barriers installed by Highways England. Engineers have been on-site but have failed to fix the barrier so far. They will be trying again soon so unlikely that this access will be a long-term possibility.
So if I'm going south I can't get in? Or if I'm going North I can't get in? I'm ittle confused now. I love in Preston I don't want to have to go down to Wigan and bakc up again if I need the kind of charge I'm after here.

So if I'm going south I can't get in? Or if I'm going North I can't get in? I'm ittle confused now. I love in Preston I don't want to have to go down to Wigan and bakc up again if I need the kind of charge I'm after here.

The superchargers are on the northbound side, adjacent to the hotel. So if traveling northbound you can use them without any issue.

At the time the site was built, the use of the access road was officially signposted as the route to access the hotel when travelling southbound, and supercharger users were encouraged to make use of this - exit the motorway into the southbound service area, cut through the access road to the northbound side to charge, and cut back again to resume traveling southbound.

Unfortunately, due to local people using this as a short-cut to join the motorway from local roads, the authorities put pressure on the site operators to close this loophole and they installed bollards, so now you can only officially access the supercharger when traveling northbound; if the bollards happen to be out of order or the operators get lazy you might be able to sneak across but it's no longer an official route so you would be on sticky ground if caught.

However, if you live in Preston why would you want to use this supercharger southbound (having just left home)?. The northbound side is available to you in the event you are heading for home and look like you can't quite make it, though it's a bit close to be useful even for that.