Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Model 3 has had its first long run today, from home near Derby to Tenby in Pembrokeshire, so about 260 miles.

I charged up to 100% last night, giving 310 miles range, and so we’d got some charge to use while on holiday we stopped for a 30 minute charge at Sarn Superchargers.

At Sarn four out of the eight stalls are CCS enabled, and there were three Model S using the chargers while we were there.

When we arrived at Sarn with 131 miles left we started off at 111kW, and even at 80% charge we was still getting 50kW. Overall a much better charging experience than I’ve ever had with either the Leaf or Kona, and so quick and easy!

9B0E43DA-63CE-4296-B27C-6BABE26E8478.png

We had a leisurely journey, with the charging stop and two other comfort/refreshment breaks, and the whole journey took about six hours, with most of the motorway driving at 70-75. I’d say I used Autopilot for 90%+ of the journey.

All we need now is for the Tenby weather to be nice ;)

Reactions: Compton
I'm sure I read that mainland Europe was 150kW but UK was 130kW somewhere!

It will depend on the supply voltage. Larger sites with their own transformer for the superchargers are more likely to achieve 150kW. Any just relying on an existing 230V supply won't be able to do so, closer to 130kW depending on the exact voltage - probably all of the old 2-stall sites fall into this category.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and m3gt2
You can check them on the in-car map, the majority of the service area superchargers are at 150 now, but the inner-city and ones located at hotels and similar are mostly at 130.

I have to admit I was very pleased that my pre-Raven car was able to take full advantage of the 150 limit, no complaints from me at all.

The superchargers are on the northbound side, adjacent to the hotel. So if traveling northbound you can use them without any issue.

At the time the site was built, the use of the access road was officially signposted as the route to access the hotel when travelling southbound, and supercharger users were encouraged to make use of this - exit the motorway into the southbound service area, cut through the access road to the northbound side to charge, and cut back again to resume traveling southbound.

Unfortunately, due to local people using this as a short-cut to join the motorway from local roads, the authorities put pressure on the site operators to close this loophole and they installed bollards, so now you can only officially access the supercharger when traveling northbound; if the bollards happen to be out of order or the operators get lazy you might be able to sneak across but it's no longer an official route so you would be on sticky ground if caught.

However, if you live in Preston why would you want to use this supercharger southbound (having just left home)?. The northbound side is available to you in the event you are heading for home and look like you can't quite make it, though it's a bit close to be useful even for that.
Thanks for that very informative. It's mostly if I want to head to my family in Nottingham and have forgot to put it to full charge that day. But I think I'd be more inclined to be using it heading north and back as you say. However by then I'd be at home with my new 7kw charger and be fully recharged for the following week by morning.

It will depend on the supply voltage. Larger sites with their own transformer for the superchargers are more likely to achieve 150kW. Any just relying on an existing 230V supply won't be able to do so, closer to 130kW depending on the exact voltage - probably all of the old 2-stall sites fall into this category.

I've charged twice at the 150kw Northampton supercharger and twice at (130kw) Gordano since the upgrade. At both I seem to top out at c.130kw and not for long. So while it seems a bit quicker it's pretty marginal for me so far. I'm not sure I'm seeing much real world change.

• Helpful
Reactions: m3gt2 and Roy W.
I've charged twice at the 150kw Northampton supercharger and twice at (130kw) Gordano since the upgrade. At both I seem to top out at c.130kw and not for long. So while it seems a bit quicker it's pretty marginal for me so far. I'm not sure I'm seeing much real world change.

Depends on your SoC when you arrive, lower you are the higher you'll see and for longer.

I was around 20% when I saw 143kW for example.

As I holiday in Anglesey, I am wondering when there’s going to be a Supercharger in North Wales. There has been a forthcoming Supercharger scheduled for Rhyl for some time but even this is a long way from many areas of Wales and I would love to drive my shiny new Model 3 past Snowdon!

Anyone got any updates on the Eurocentral Superchargers outside Glasgow??

I believe they started work back in March but haven't seen any updates for a while......
The discussion I've seen suggests that these are essentially complete but have been held up - the most likely cause is something to do with getting them wired into the grid (for example, a power/network upgrade may be needed to cope with the power required).

The discussion I've seen suggests that these are essentially complete but have been held up - the most likely cause is something to do with getting them wired into the grid (for example, a power/network upgrade may be needed to cope with the power required).

cheers - might take a potter past it on 23rd after I pick up my SR+ from Edinburgh - it's on my way home anyway.

What’s the general consensus about the availability of CCS superchargers? I read Tesla have delivered over 2000 model 3s in the UK since August. But some sites still only have a small number of stalls converted. Interested in anyone’s thoughts or even better experience please.

What’s the general consensus about the availability of CCS superchargers? I read Tesla have delivered over 2000 model 3s in the UK since August. But some sites still only have a small number of stalls converted. Interested in anyone’s thoughts or even better experience please.

There are currently only 9 out of 50 where they have more than 2 stalls and only 2 have been converted to CCS, the rest have more than 2 stalls converted where there are more than 2 stalls.

The spreadsheet may not be up to date but here it is
Tracker CCS on Superchargers