Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hilton Park Northbound is online. Don’t know about Southbound
60773879-F1E5-41B5-A536-45CA48AE7708.jpeg

Hilton Park Northbound is online. Don’t know about Southbound
I believe Southbound is being commissioned soon but not quite there yet. People have been speaking to the site engineers and originally (say a month ago) it sounded like Southbound was scheduled to be first, so it must be imminent.

On Northbound note 10 stalls are available, there are 12 stalls at the site but I've heard 1a and 1b are bagged up. Originally there was some hope the site would be live on Friday (19th June), there seems to have been a 1-2 day delay in commissioning so I'm going to speculate that 1a and 1b were being troubleshooted but couldn't be brought online from the start.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JupiterMan and CMc1
Anybody work out where that shipment of 16 V3s to Norfolk that arrived in April is going to end up? I’ve seen Leeds mention for a few... Fort William us probably a fair shout.

Lots of other potential sites have appeared recently, I can’t keep up. Need a running list...

Anybody work out where that shipment of 16 V3s to Norfolk that arrived in April is going to end up? I’ve seen Leeds mention for a few... Fort William us probably a fair shout.

Lots of other potential sites have appeared recently, I can’t keep up. Need a running list...
I'm somewhat apprehensive that Leeds and Fort Williams will be V3 only with no facility for charging a Tesla without CCS (I have a pre-facelift MS). At least there's an upgrade route to be able to use them but cars like mine would see no speed advantage, it would just be a belt and braces outlay of a few hundred pounds to be able to access the whole Supercharger network. It will be interesting to see what transpires, I guess in North America it's not an issue as all cars can use V2 and V3 as they have the same charging plug.

Supercharge.info lists all the sites that have concrete evidence (included in planning applications or construction started), beyond that the only site I've come across that's more than a rumour is a hotel in Builth Wells but they presumably have the hurdle of post-Covid recovery even if they can get a suitable power supply. So the newest potential sites are the four service centres: Aberdeen, Nottingham, Leeds (nearly complete) and Edinburgh, plus there's the two at Hilton Park S, Fort William, and plans for a new Moto near Rugby (now being built I think) include Superchargers.

@cezdoc i agree with older MS and MX(?) being left out but I can see Tesla continuing to roll out V3 CCS across Europe, diluting the compatibility for older cars. They’ve just upgraded newer MS and MX to 225kW charge speeds using V3, widening the gap between between early adopters and us ‘newbies’ even further.

just like when M3 first came to UK, compatibility was low. Obviously this has since changed to 100% for all cars, but I can see this going the opposite way, Tesla pushing CCS upgrades for older cars and forcing their hand with more V3s being rolled out.

Hopefully the likes of Leeds and Fort William will still have 2-4 V2 stalls, as I don’t think we’re at that point of making locations 100% V3 for a while, but I definitely see Tesla pushing for this since there are options available to make them compatible, albeit at customer’s expense.

Also a lot of the older cars have unlimited free supercharging, so it’s another way of limiting this use, unless folks pay for a charge port upgrade or adapter.

@cezdoc i agree with older MS and MX(?) being left out but I can see Tesla continuing to roll out V3 CCS across Europe, diluting the compatibility for older cars. They’ve just upgraded newer MS and MX to 225kW charge speeds using V3, widening the gap between between early adopters and us ‘newbies’ even further.

just like when M3 first came to UK, compatibility was low. Obviously this has since changed to 100% for all cars, but I can see this going the opposite way, Tesla pushing CCS upgrades for older cars and forcing their hand with more V3s being rolled out.

Hopefully the likes of Leeds and Fort William will still have 2-4 V2 stalls, as I don’t think we’re at that point of making locations 100% V3 for a while, but I definitely see Tesla pushing for this since there are options available to make them compatible, albeit at customer’s expense.

Also a lot of the older cars have unlimited free supercharging, so it’s another way of limiting this use, unless folks pay for a charge port upgrade or adapter.
I imagine Electrical infrastructure will dictate it to some degree. They may look to put them wherever the existing infrastructure will already support them initially OR if they have to outlay to upgrade look to put more together since upgrading say 2 sites for 8 each would be cheaper than upgrading 8 sites for 2 each. And it they are upgrading sites you imagine they would start with those in the london area where their customers are concentrated and space is often limited so increasing throughput is desirable since additional stalls cannot be added. Its notable that the only V3 site so far is right next to a tube line where they could "easily" tap into the existing grid.

I'm somewhat apprehensive that Leeds and Fort Williams will be V3 only with no facility for charging a Tesla without CCS (I have a pre-facelift MS). At least there's an upgrade route to be able to use them but cars like mine would see no speed advantage, it would just be a belt and braces outlay of a few hundred pounds to be able to access the whole Supercharger network. It will be interesting to see what transpires, I guess in North America it's not an issue as all cars can use V2 and V3 as they have the same charging plug.

Supercharge.info lists all the sites that have concrete evidence (included in planning applications or construction started), beyond that the only site I've come across that's more than a rumour is a hotel in Builth Wells but they presumably have the hurdle of post-Covid recovery even if they can get a suitable power supply. So the newest potential sites are the four service centres: Aberdeen, Nottingham, Leeds (nearly complete) and Edinburgh, plus there's the two at Hilton Park S, Fort William, and plans for a new Moto near Rugby (now being built I think) include Superchargers.

I guess for completeness I should have mentioned Colchester as it appears to have all groundworks complete. I forgot about it initially as it was over a year ago when the equipment was delivered to the site. Edging more into rumour I think there is also hope that the new service centre in Crawley will have Superchargers, and some of the Scottish owners think that Inverness will be getting some as part of a car park (re)development. Obtaining/installing a suitable electrical power supply does seem to be an important consideration in the Highlands and Wales.

I used the Norton (Winchester) supercharger today.
It was the hottest day of the year so far and it was showing 32C when I was there.
There is a sign there from the hotel that unfortuneatly the hotel and its toilets remain closed at present.
The point is, and it's difficult to put this politely, if you must pee chaps, please walk a little further away than the bush directly in front of you.
ITS STINKING!

Looks like dual cables on all of them that I could see, which would mean V2.

The ones in the photo with dual cables are the two existing stalls temporarily out of use; all the ducts from the new cabinet bases go the other way towards stalls that haven't been fitted yet.

Note also 4 ducts to each cabinet base.
Does look very much like V3.