Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SpeakEV mention that Tesla Facebook group say that Leeds SC will be 250kW V3. I’m not on FB to verify

59E09068-E302-4B35-B328-975BAEA90227.jpeg
3195711C-D2E5-404C-897A-2C577BA2C3AD.jpeg

FYI @MarcoRP

• Informative
Reactions: arg and cezdoc
SpeakEV mention that Tesla Facebook group say that Leeds SC will be 250kW V3. I’m not on FB to verify

FYI @MarcoRP
Yes a FB group member has been down a couple of times and says "Confirmed as 8 bays and it is a V3 site". They posted a couple of photos with lots of cables and groundworks ongoing but I couldn't make out any details of the charger cabinet foundations, I think your second picture @CMc1 may be more informative in that respect. If it's V3 only it would mean an adapter for Model S & X & older cars without the CCS conversion would not be able to use the superchargers.

Reactions: CMc1
I think your second picture @CMc1 may be more informative in that respect.

I'm not convinced - that concrete pad looks like the base for the DNO cabinet (green squashy building) rather than the superchargers themselves which are probably closer to the camera and out of shot.

But not conclusive one way or the other.

If it's V3 only it would mean an adapter for Model S & X & older cars without the CCS conversion would not be able to use the superchargers.

I think those of us with older cars are going to have to get used to that, it's just a matter of when. I think the CCS conversion will become a must-have before long, though at present there's hardly anywhere I'd use it.

Reactions: cezdoc
Are new Model S / X CCS?

Until then, there will have to be support. Bit like when model 3 turned up in June and one stall out of the 8 was converted to CCS. Sod’s Law it was also the only one being used by a S/X and rest were free.

Are new Model S / X CCS?

AFAIK, new S/X have the CCS 'upgrade' from new and are shipped with the adapter, which can be used at V3 superchargers.

Why V3 superchargers don't have dual cables isn't entirely clear. The dual cable stalls for V2 have the switching between the two connectors in the stall, and it's reasonable to imagine that it isn't rated for the full 600A(?) of V3. Even if it isn't feasible to produce an upgraded version, you would think that you could have some of the existing dual stalls on a V3 install and just limit those stalls to a lower current rather than installing entirely separate V2 units for the older cars.

Maybe the install at Park Royal was just expediency with what hardware was available at the time, and we will see dual-cable stalls on V3 when they roll out in quantity.

But I still predict that non-CCS stalls will gradually disappear - older cars having to use the adapter is a poor user experience for them, but the dual cable stalls are a poor user experience for new cars (confusion because the "wrong" cable still fits, and the issue of the 2nd cable falling out of the holster potentially scratching paintwork). And before long CCS cars will vastly outnumber older ones.

Reactions: Roy W.
AFAIK the Type2 plug on dual cable stalls won't fit a CCS car, there's a triangle in the centre pin which stops it fitting.

Ah, I hadn't spotted that they had taken away the triangle on the Model3 chargeport. In the Type2 spec that triangle is supposed to represent Mode1 (charging with a dumb power cable rather than an EVSE), so it was never clear why Model S had it in the first place, and the original supercharger cables didn't have it. It does look like Tesla have taken advantage of this historical anomaly to improve the supercharger experience.

The wrong cable problem was a real issue when there were still a mix of old and dual-cable stalls around, but those are all gone now.

So the situation now comes down to "looks like the wrong connector will fit", rather than "wrong connector will fit", which I admit is rather less of a problem.

Reactions: Roy W.
Agreed, especially since the 'wrong' supercharger cable looks the same as the mobile connector and Type2 cable the car came with and the same as any wall connector an owner will have at home.

A one-time penny-drop realisation though for each owner hopefully, helped by more service centres having on-site superchargers so they can familiarise themselves with it on collection day.

Bays fenced off at Heathrow T5. Not sure if for supercharger related activity or something else.

It’s now also 14 bays not 16 as two are fenced off.
I tried to look on Slough Council planning for any evidence but it was quite possibly the worst planning site I’ve used, and couldn’t narrow to the postcode or area without having 300+ results.

I tried to look on Slough Council planning for any evidence but it was quite possibly the worst planning site I’ve used, and couldn’t narrow to the postcode or area without having 300+ results.

awful planning site - I agree.

Putting the search field in quotation marks (i.e. "SL3 0FF") seems to do the job in narrowing the searches.

From this the only planning application I can see at this site is work on trees from 2014!