Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And Cornwall. Because when folk go to to the extremities of our little island they're often going for a week's holiday.

Roll on expansion of smaller sites too. Is there a programme to ramp up both site size and new sites following introduction of the Model 3? It would be nice to know there was.

Roll on expansion of smaller sites too. Is there a programme to ramp up both site size and new sites following introduction of the Model 3? It would be nice to know there was.

Well, in recent times we've seen Oxford expansion, Grantham expansion, Reading duplication (presumably in lieu of expansion), Westfield expansion, probably more I've forgotten.

Not much in the way of a Wales expansion!. When the Westfield upgrade is complete it will have three times as many superchargers as the whole of Wales.

Well, I was concentrating on capacity expansion rather than geographic expansion - because the post I was responding to was concerned about the impact of Model 3. Arrival of large numbers of Model 3 doesn't make any difference to the need for geographic coverage (they have broadly the same range as corresponding Model S variants), but does threaten overcrowding with a rapid increase in demand.

However, to the extent that it is in fact deliberate policy (rather than just driven by site availability etc), I believe Tesla are right to prioritise capacity expansion over geographical expansion. A Supercharger that doesn't exist is something you can plan for - take a different route, allow time for slower charging, or in extremis not buy a Tesla in the first place because you know the coverage isn't there. Conversely, overcrowding due to lack of capacity isn't something you can plan for, and in effect the Supercharger just becomes highly unreliable. That's especially unsatisfactory if you bought the car "knowing" that there was Supercharger coverage in a given area, and then it effectively disappears due to overcrowding.

So while we all want to see better geographic coverage, capacity expansion so we don't lose what we already have is more important.

Just to try the adapter out I tried mine at a supercharger once. It worked.
I tried using CCS adapter on 2016 facelift at Tebay, 132kW.

Got the best rate I’ve had on type 2 here out of Scotch Corner, Abington Tebay and Gretna- looks like I can get 150kW on CCS or type 2.
BF449939-0C55-4CD1-826D-D86370C3EA13.jpeg

Reactions: CMc1 and Roy W.
Well, I was concentrating on capacity expansion rather than geographic expansion - because the post I was responding to was concerned about the impact of Model 3. Arrival of large numbers of Model 3 doesn't make any difference to the need for geographic coverage (they have broadly the same range as corresponding Model S variants), but does threaten overcrowding with a rapid increase in demand.

However, to the extent that it is in fact deliberate policy (rather than just driven by site availability etc), I believe Tesla are right to prioritise capacity expansion over geographical expansion. A Supercharger that doesn't exist is something you can plan for - take a different route, allow time for slower charging, or in extremis not buy a Tesla in the first place because you know the coverage isn't there. Conversely, overcrowding due to lack of capacity isn't something you can plan for, and in effect the Supercharger just becomes highly unreliable. That's especially unsatisfactory if you bought the car "knowing" that there was Supercharger coverage in a given area, and then it effectively disappears due to overcrowding.

So while we all want to see better geographic coverage, capacity expansion so we don't lose what we already have is more important.
Depends whether the purpose of the supercharger network is to allow people to go places or to charge will doing their shopping. I thought it was primarily supposed to be the former?
The only way to plan for the only rapid chargers in most of North Wales being Ecotricity is to not go.