Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any detail on the Berwick supercharger eta? Anything more specific than 2020?
There's a tip-off (courtesy of the Scottish FB Owner's group) that equipment that looks like the sort of cabling used at Superchargers has been delivered here, midway between Alnwick and Berwick:

PurdyLocation.png

I was hoping to have a look myself as I was recently on a family trip, returning up the A1(M) to NE Scotland. The fact that, despite my eagerness to investigate a promising lead, we opted to cross from Scotch Corner over to Cumbria and Gretna illustrates the importance of the "Berwick" location for long journeys (plus the need for an upgraded/relocated Edinburgh Supercharger). We had two route options with more-or-less the same journey + charging time (on paper). Option A involved a 1 hour fill up at Washington, a 2h40 stretch to Edinburgh, and the likelihood of a wait or slow, pair-shared, charge at the airport Supercharger. Option B had Gretna, Abington and Eurocentral or Perth along the way, giving more choice for when to stop, better service facilities, and more even journey breaks (in the end we had a longer stop at Gretna which allowed us to break for lunch and get all the way to Dundee in one hop). Also, no-one else travelling with me was excited by the possibility of seeing a pallet or two of cables next to the A1.

If you're passing by and like spotting cables and diggers, or even the holy grail of new red, white and silver tombstones, I'd recommend a visit & be interested to know what's happening at Purdy Lodge!

There's a recently-added pin on the TOGUK map at Kettering which refers to a planning application at Barton Hall Hotel for 8 V2 Superchargers, and 2 destination chargers, granted on 13-Dec-19 (some of the group are very good at unearthing EV rapid charger planning applications!). The TOGUK map has a "building now" pin but the site has been visited in the last couple of weeks and there's no construction work underway.

For reference the TOGUK map is here:
TOGUK Supercharger Map - Google My Maps

The planning docs are here:
Application KET/2019/0757 | Kettering Borough Council

The GPS location is approx. (52.386600, -0.696800).

KetteringPlan.png

KetteringLocation.png

KetteringGmapLocation.png

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Good to see, but I do wish they’d stop putting them in Hotels.

I bet there’s another one or two out there.

Any updates on Pease Pottage? That should near completed unless stalled.
I have to disagree re: Hotels. If you want safe access and reasonable facilities 24/7, and there's no motorway service area available, they can do a good job. Up my way, there aren't any motorway service areas, or motorways for that matter. In fact my better half insists on Dundee over Perth as for some reason she finds the Broxden park and ride portacabin, with blue lights in the toilets to dissuade drug users, a poor second choice to the log fire and coffee with shortbread on offer at The Landmark :). No doubt there will be better trunk road service areas near Kettering but if Tesla can't secure a location there the hotel will be a nice fall-back. Apart from location I think the key is having parking that doesn't regularly get ICEd, and with a supportive host that can normally be achieved.

As I understand it, Pease Pottage planning was approved in August but I don't know if any of the recent Moto planning applications have seen any activity on the ground. There was some trenching done in the correct area at Pease Pottage but that appears to have been unrelated to Superchargers - and it took place before the planning was granted.

• Helpful
I have to disagree re: Hotels. If you want safe access and reasonable facilities 24/7, and there's no motorway service area available, they can do a good job. Up my way, there aren't any motorway service areas, or motorways for that matter. In fact my better half insists on Dundee over Perth as for some reason she finds the Broxden park and ride portacabin, with blue lights in the toilets to dissuade drug users, a poor second choice to the log fire and coffee with shortbread on offer at The Landmark :). No doubt there will be better trunk road service areas near Kettering but if Tesla can't secure a location there the hotel will be a nice fall-back. Apart from location I think the key is having parking that doesn't regularly get ICEd, and with a supportive host that can normally be achieved.

C'mon for Broxden its got to be MacD's

My personal favourite is a macchiato at Dakota: Eurocentral.

Reactions: cezdoc
There was some trenching done in the correct area at Pease Pottage but that appears to have been unrelated to Superchargers - and it took place before the planning was granted.

That's correct - supercharger.info entry is incorrect, no construction work had started at Pease Pottage. Am passing again in a couple of days and will check out latest in case anything has changed.

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647 and CMc1
Anyone heard any news of superchargers in the baron NE of England (York, Northallerton,Middlesbrough etc). Maybe on the A168/A19 route?
If Tesla have anything planned, they haven't hinted at it with a "Coming Soon" pin.

The TOGUK map, however, has a couple of pins in the general area (plus one near Hull) related to potential Gridserve sites (their first site is at Braintree, due to open next month, and includes some Supercharger bays). The TOGUK pin at Hartlepool has a "planning" icon but AFAIK, and according to their website, Gridserve have only made applications at Uckfield and Norwich so far.

I had a read through this article about their York solar farm:
https://www.gridserve.com/post/gridserve-complete-game-changing-hybrid-solar-farm
which mentions at the end "Adjacent to the site GRIDSERVE plans to build one of the first of a network of over 100 Electric Forecourts®...". This site is located adjacent to the A19 at Boscar Grange at approx (54.146000, -1.238000).

GridserveYorkLocation.png

• Helpful
Desperately hoping Brighton’s long awaited super charger appears soon. We have a green mp and a significant green representation in our council yet we have only 1 fast charger covering the whole of the city of Brighton and Hove. And even that one doesn’t work properly!

All emails to council and mp have been ignored.

Does anyone have any thoughts who would be the best person to email in Tesla to get an update? It will save me the hell of using the often iced 3kw lamppost chargers that the council feel are so great

Anyone heard any news of superchargers in the baron NE of England (York, Northallerton,Middlesbrough etc). Maybe on the A168/A19 route?
No Tesla chargers there at the moment but the ones at Scotch Corner are not too far away. We stayed just outside Thirsk a few weeks ago and there is a Polar rapid on the main car park at the back of the town and another at the BP station (or maybe Shell?) just outside town. You pay more but you can get a charge without too much hassle

Desperately hoping Brighton’s long awaited super charger appears soon. We have a green mp and a significant green representation in our council yet we have only 1 fast charger covering the whole of the city of Brighton and Hove. And even that one doesn’t work properly!

All emails to council and mp have been ignored.

Does anyone have any thoughts who would be the best person to email in Tesla to get an update? It will save me the hell of using the often iced 3kw lamppost chargers that the council feel are so great

Is that extreme greens that only believe in walking and cycling? all cars BAD :-( They need to get with the programme ! Send them up to Dundee for some lessons on EV infrastructure,

• Disagree
Reactions: adsheff