Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing I would like is a Woodall Northbound, or somewhere around Sheffield. I know there's something going on at Meadowhall, but I don't really like going off into shopping centres etc when on a long journey.
I agree with both those comments but disagree that the North is adequately served. The two chargers at Scotch Corner and Washington are either overused or in Washington's case off track. If your destinations are Teeside or Sunderland or Carlisle using A66 the choice is non existent after Scotch Corner. If on the M6 there is nothing in Cumbria if your destination is Barrow, Workington, Whitehaven, Keswick or Carlisle. Tebay is on the Southbound and often queued up because it is serving both lanes. It is always a risk if going to Scotland that you will queue at Gretna. If your alternative route is to Newcastle there is nothing between Tebay and Newcastle.
It is shocking that there are no Superchargers in County Durham or Cumbria. Their populations deserve better and it affects the tourist trade.

There are various news stories online this week showing that V4 SuperChargers are being installed in Europe now, most notably at Harderwijk in the Netherlands where there is video evidence. I wonder where and when we see the first ones in the UK and Ireland?
Thanks. Had a a quick search and found a link...intriguing.

• Informative
Reactions: GRiLLA
Winchester services north (along the M3) just had a planning application for 24 EV charging spots approved. Looking at planning details, there are 12 gridserve and 12 Tesla chargers listed in drawings.
Screenshot_20230305-005205.png

I'm hoping they are easy enough to retrofit to existing "open to all" sites in the UK and are a prerequisite to any other new site openings.
I wouldn’t think they are “retrofit” unless they completely refurb and refit an existing SuC site including all new v4 cabinets and possibly new cabling.

These appear to be more than just a new tombstone design with a longer cable. There’s a chance these may even be multi-voltage. Now that would be a big turning point for Tesla. Hopefully we get some spec’s soon.

As to new site openings, if history is anything to go by, they will continue to rollout v3 for a while yet. Much as they did with v2 based sites.

Reactions: m3gt2
I wouldn’t think they are “retrofit” unless they completely refurb and refit an existing SuC site including all new v4 cabinets and possibly new cabling.

These appear to be more than just a new tombstone design with a longer cable. There’s a chance these may even be multi-voltage. Now that would be a big turning point for Tesla. Hopefully we get some spec’s soon.

As to new site openings, if history is anything to go by, they will continue to rollout v3 for a while yet. Much as they did with v2 based sites.
I think you may be correct and did I dream it or have they already said that cybertruck will be higher voltage?

Winchester services north (along the M3) just had a planning application for 24 EV charging spots approved. Looking at planning details, there are 12 gridserve and 12 Tesla chargers listed in drawings.
View attachment 913882

Thats great but they need something on the M3 Southbound, hopefully being Fleet when it opens up soon.
Good news: the plan drawing in @Ozboz7 ‘s post looks like the southbound service area so hopefully both Fleet and Winchester services will eventually have superchargers for southbound travellers.

Judging from the spy pictures seen in The Netherlands the V4/V3+? use the same cabinets or at least the specs seem to match and instead are just new tombstones.

• Informative
Reactions: Sean.
Judging from the spy pictures seen in The Netherlands the V4/V3+? use the same cabinets or at least the specs seem to match and instead are just new tombstones.

specification plate says 500v 250kw which is the same as a V3. I thought V4 was supposed to be 1000V so is this just a bigger tombstone to allow for a longer cable? which would me more like V3L than +.

• Informative
Reactions: Overworked
Good news: the plan drawing in @Ozboz7 ‘s post looks like the southbound service area so hopefully both Fleet and Winchester services will eventually have superchargers for southbound travellers.
Thanks for picking that up! It looks like there is also a northbound Winchester m3 services too. So both directions Winchester services on M3 should have 12 superchargers each (soon™)
Screenshot_20230306-105045~2.png

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc
Thanks for picking that up! It looks like there is also a northbound Winchester m3 services too. So both directions Winchester services on M3 should have 12 superchargers each (soon™)View attachment 914444
Great stuff!
For reference the planning applications are on the Winchester City Council website:
Northbound Reference: 22/02683/FUL
Southbound Reference: 22/02730/FUL
Looks like the applications were granted in February. Perversely, Tesla added "coming soon" markers for both in August last year but removed them from their map at the start of this year.

I thought V4 was supposed to be 1000V so is this just a bigger tombstone
Has any Tesla source actually described this as V4?

Sites like Elektrek are keen to shout out "V(n+1)" when they see so much as a change in the fixing hardware, but Tesla has used V1/V2/V3 to apply to cabinet generations and has not referred to the different stall designs (of which there have been at least 7 I can think of off-hand) with version numbers.

I agree with both those comments but disagree that the North is adequately served. The two chargers at Scotch Corner and Washington are either overused or in Washington's case off track. If your destinations are Teeside or Sunderland or Carlisle using A66 the choice is non existent after Scotch Corner. If on the M6 there is nothing in Cumbria if your destination is Barrow, Workington, Whitehaven, Keswick or Carlisle. Tebay is on the Southbound and often queued up because it is serving both lanes. It is always a risk if going to Scotland that you will queue at Gretna. If your alternative route is to Newcastle there is nothing between Tebay and Newcastle.
It is shocking that there are no Superchargers in County Durham or Cumbria. Their populations deserve better and it affects the tourist trade.
Yup. I am often in Middlesbrough and the only one in vicinity is in Scotch Corner which is not that good, as driving from South you take A19

I however saw some plans to build one northern Teeside.. but cannot find it anymore and not on Tesla site

Reactions: rowedav