Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the opening of Fleet S and Reading W my tally is a net increase of 228 UK charging stalls this calendar year (244 added, 16 decomissioned/upgraded), which is a UK record (according to my tally, 2022 was the previous record year with 219). And still with a quarter to go.
In terms of new sites open, I make it 16 so far in 2023, getting close to the record 18 which opened in 2022 (and 2021). It may not be exponential but the ongoing expansion of UK Supercharger locations has kept up momentum.

With the opening of Fleet S and Reading W my tally is a net increase of 228 UK charging stalls this calendar year (244 added, 16 decomissioned/upgraded), which is a UK record (according to my tally, 2022 was the previous record year with 219). And still with a quarter to go.
In terms of new sites open, I make it 16 so far in 2023, getting close to the record 18 which opened in 2022 (and 2021). It may not be exponential but the ongoing expansion of UK Supercharger locations has kept up momentum.
yYeah but Tesla has sold 50% more cars this year than they did last year and a lot of the new stalls are open to general pop so is the car to charger ratio actually getting better or worse? I suspect worse.

Reactions: Adopado
⚡⚡️ another V4 site found in Scottish planning. Heartlands Village Square, Whitburn.

Disabled bay too. First SuC site in UK?

View attachment 962008
Heartlands / Whitburn is moving quickly: planning permission was granted on 25th August and already the charger cabinet is in place. Another pic on TOUK shows the stall foundations have also been built.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
1695400078438.png

Windamere received the most votes in UK followed by Cheltenham and Bath. Hopefully all three get Superchargers. I also voted for Chipping Norton and Silverstone.

Reactions: cezdoc and M00cow
... so is the car to charger ratio actually getting better or worse? I suspect worse.
WhenCarsStallsCars/Stalls
2020Q449,16661679.81
2021Q483,270788105.67
2022Q4135,5891,007134.65
Now222,0121,235179.77

Notes:
Cars taken from DVLA (df_VEH0120_UK).
Ignored SORN
"Now" value = 2022Q1 number (latest available) plus assumption that new vehicles since is the same as previous two quarters.
Stalls taken from cezdoc's archives (thank you :) ) and Supercharge.info data page for "Now" number
The one 2014 Tesla diesel model (experimental?) ceased to be licensed in 2020Q2 :cool:

My thoughts:
This isn't too alarming, You don't need as much redundancy as was needed when there were fewer cars.
I've had my 75D (was 60D) for 7 years (next week) (Cars 3,993 @ end 2016Q3, 56 fold increase since then) and things are certainly much better/easier than at first.
Having said that, I was at the normally tumbleweed Michaelwood a couple of hours ago and at one point 7 (of 8) were in use.

WhenCarsStallsCars/Stalls
2020Q449,16661679.81
2021Q483,270788105.67
2022Q4135,5891,007134.65
Now222,0121,235179.77

Notes:
Cars taken from DVLA (df_VEH0120_UK).
Ignored SORN
"Now" value = 2022Q1 number (latest available) plus assumption that new vehicles since is the same as previous two quarters.
Stalls taken from cezdoc's archives (thank you :) ) and Supercharge.info data page for "Now" number
The one 2014 Tesla diesel model (experimental?) ceased to be licensed in 2020Q2 :cool:

My thoughts:
This isn't too alarming, You don't need as much redundancy as was needed when there were fewer cars.
I've had my 75D (was 60D) for 7 years (next week) (Cars 3,993 @ end 2016Q3, 56 fold increase since then) and things are certainly much better/easier than at first.
Having said that, I was at the normally tumbleweed Michaelwood a couple of hours ago and at one point 7 (of 8) were in use.
Don’t these calculations break down now that some sites are open to all EVs ?

Don’t these calculations break down now that some sites are open to all EVs ?
All rapid chargers were under utilised just a few years ago, likewise there had been a rapid expansion of destination which often negates the need to rapid charge. I don’t think we really know ‘what good looks like yet’.

I used to have to rapid charge twice to go to one of my relatives, now I have a charger (well a 3 pin outside socket) at the other end and don’t have to rapid charge at all.

Speaking of all rapid chargers, a tesla isn’t confined to using tesla rapids so where do you draw the line?

I wouldn’t take a detour to use a supercharger if there was something more convenient to use.

Tesla are on a tear recently.

Car / charger ratio is definitely misleading. Firstly the chargers are much better - 250kw vs 150, but more importantly no power sharing between stalls (which turns a v2 into 80kw). 8 v3 are much more useful than 8 v2.

Cars are longer range too. My older SR+ needed more charge stops than my current MY. And of course charging speeds have gone up too (even SR+ went from 100 > 150kw max when I owned it)

It’s been hugely valuable filling in the charger gaps. I think all the chargers I’ve used in the last 2 years didn’t exist 2.5 years ago.

Seriously, awesome work Tesla. You can see how rapid charging is on the way to being a solved problem even with a major increase in vehicles. IMO we need more slow destination chargers - when these are everywhere it will massively reduce need to rapid charge. I did a trip from home in Kent to the Peak District, had a charger in the hotel I stayed at, and did the entire 2-way journey with zero rapid charging. This is the way.

What providers do you recommend? I have not had good experiences so far.

Ionity, Gridserve, Fastned, Osprey, instavolt, MFG, Shell- what ever really, I’m not fussed. I also use destination chargers which there is a broad selection of networks these days.

They all have their good sites and some utterly terrible sites that are best avoided like the plague, including Tesla (E.g. Gretna, south mimms, stansted M11 services etc.).

The obvious downside of non-tesla is the price but I expect more competition will fix that over time. Particularly now tesla is openly competing with gridserve on price at reading services.