Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't precondition. All the SuCs I use are saved as favourites with the address of the service station etc.
  • The extra wh/mi used in preconditioning en route needs replacing at the charger so the overall time saving is more marginal (slightly lower cost too).
  • I normally only require around 15-20 mins at a stop so slower charging speed adds enough to continue the journey whereas a faster charge may not allow sufficient time ('fluids' in & out).
  • I'm retired and have time on my hands.
But that reduces the profit Tesla can make for each stall at it reduces the rate of electricity transfer....

• Funny
Reactions: Drew57
0mph is infinite wh/mi.

You can't cancel preconditioning can you? I have removed a supercharger stop to cancel it but it is annoying.
From memory, cancelling pre conditioning is just under the navigation search box on the screen, but I might be wrong.

If it doesn't work, I would just navigate to somewhere close to the supercharger for most of the journey and switch last few minutes. I just find it's too energy intensive to heat up battery and too quick to charge for whole family. Just driver, in a real rush, maybe OK. Also, I found superchargers were better situated than in uk. Subjective, depends on routes.

Reactions: Buckminster
From memory, cancelling pre conditioning is just under the navigation search box on the screen, but I might be wrong.

If it doesn't work, I would just navigate to somewhere close to the supercharger for most of the journey and switch last few minutes. I just find it's too energy intensive to heat up battery and too quick to charge for whole family. Just driver, in a real rush, maybe OK. Also, I found superchargers were better situated than in uk. Subjective, depends on routes.
In my experience you can't cancel preconditioning, apart from cancelling the route to the charger. I've tried pressing on the preconditioning message, but that just removes the message, it doesn't cancel preconditioning (I can still hear the fans going).

0mph is infinite wh/mi.

You can't cancel preconditioning can you? I have removed a supercharger stop to cancel it but it is annoying.
You can’t cancel it, but if your destination is not set as the SC but 10 feet to the left of it then the car won’t precondition.

I regularly travel to hotels that have SC’s. I want the nav and traffic info to the destination, so set the destination as the hotel and not the SC.

But that reduces the profit Tesla can make for each stall at it reduces the rate of electricity transfer....
True but i am giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt here since i have never seen any indication of them gouging on superchargers and say it is done primarily to speed throughput at the chargers which benefits everyone in theory.

Presumably you lease your Tesla? About the most damaging thing you can do is to Supercharge a cold battery.
I own outright, my Model 3 had 22,000 miles when sold & stated range was down under 5% which I believe was entirely normal. Having said that, I mostly charge at 7kWh at home, not SuCs and when I do it's usually after around 200 miles on a long journey which surely has some warming effect?.

I rarely see much above 100kWh, often around 75kWh when starting to charge which is fine for the time I need to spend there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi
Presumably you lease your Tesla? About the most damaging thing you can do is to Supercharge a cold battery.
… but the rate of charging is varied depending on the temperature of the battery. If a warm battery and a cold battery were both rapid charged at the same high rate then the cold battery would be more stressed, but that’s not what happens.

Rugby services were very busy yesterday, the 28 chargers were keeping up but only just. There were only 1-2 slots free when I was there but the turnover of cars was impressive.

Charging speeds were not not the fastest but I expect that with almost every bay being full (most cars being LR 3/Y), total site limits were bing hit.

We really need more capacity up the M1, M6 and A14 to spread that load out a lot more. Rugby also has the draw of being relatively pleasant as far as services go.

Unsurprisingly, Gridserve had a queue at least 4 cars deep the entire time I was there and the queue martial was kept busy. One of their units was also out of action like usual… not sure I have ever seen them all operational….

Rugby services were very busy yesterday, the 28 chargers were keeping up but only just. There were only 1-2 slots free when I was there but the turnover of cars was impressive.....

.....Unsurprisingly, Gridserve had a queue at least 4 cars deep the entire time I was there and the queue martial was kept busy. One of their units was also out of action like usual… not sure I have ever seen them all operational….
On Thursday three Tesla chargers were also out of action & unlit so were these back up & running? I'm going to charge there tomorrow but being Christmas Day I would expect it to be quiet.

… but the rate of charging is varied depending on the temperature of the battery. If a warm battery and a cold battery were both rapid charged at the same high rate then the cold battery would be more stressed, but that’s not what happens.
Also isn't "cold" a relative term. If you charge at the end of a long journey the battery is probably not cold cold just not optimum and as you say the charger restricts the charge accordingly, while I presume, also warming up the battery to the optimum.

On Thursday three Tesla chargers were also out of action & unlit so were these back up & running? I'm going to charge there tomorrow but being Christmas Day I would expect it to be quiet.
One was out of action according to the car, that said, count up to identify which one it was. I didn’t notice anyone pulling into a particular bay, trying it and moving to the other spare bay but there were cars moving in and out every minute.

The sheer number of Tesla’s moving thought was impressive. Pretty much the entire site turned over in the 20 mins I was there.

This needs a setting to tell the car how often you wish to stop and the types of sites you like.
Another vote for this. I'd like a setting or slider. Target battery % at charging stop: 5% min to say 60% max

Also, to be able to set departure times for multiple stops on a trip. Currently if I set a trip to a destination and home it will assume I arrive at my destination and then immediately turn around. Often it will put a supercharge after my destination. So (if I don't make it one way) it pre-heats the last 30mins to my destination, then I arrive with no battery and stay overnight. I leave later/the following day with battery % too low to supercharge and arrive with a cold battery.

Currently, obviously I just manually add a supercharger stop before my destination so I can leave with a good amount of charge l, but either of the options above would help the system plan regular trips with more autonomy

Reactions: ringi
20231226_204959.jpg

What's going on at hopwoods? It showing grey on maps but went to charge only half stall available?

Is there a upgrade happening? Or just maintenance?

Reactions: adsheff