Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this one been mentioned yet?

Another spot from @dparr59 at SpeakEV?

…..

Rownhams East Motorway Service Area
M27 Eastbound Service Road
Rownhams
Southampton
Hampshire
SO16 8AP

24/00322/FULLS | Extension to existing amenity building and new drive thru, amendments to existing car park, 6 no. EV charging points and associated works.

Probably classed as off topic but we used Scotch Corner twice this weekend.
No queueing but only got 60kw/h from the SC.
Momentarily upto 90 when the car next to us left.
That was with preconditioning and 10%.
Think I was hoping for better/ faster.
On the upside saw a new LHD X.

Has this one been mentioned yet?

Another spot from @dparr59 at SpeakEV?

…..

Rownhams East Motorway Service Area
M27 Eastbound Service Road
Rownhams
Southampton
Hampshire
SO16 8AP

24/00322/FULLS | Extension to existing amenity building and new drive thru, amendments to existing car park, 6 no. EV charging points and associated works.
There’s an older application, 22/00430/FULLS for 12 supercharger stalls plus 12 Gridserve rapids, but this isn’t referenced in the new planning application. The older plan is an amendment to one which is nearly 3 yrs old so not sure if it will go ahead (some groundworks were reported a while back but no charger equipment spotted).
Looking on my phone (so may have missed some info) I didn’t find any description of the 6 EV charging points. It sounds a bit unambitious for a new MSA supercharger though.

Reactions: Sean.
Probably classed as off topic but we used Scotch Corner twice this weekend.
No queueing but only got 60kw/h from the SC.
Momentarily upto 90 when the car next to us left.
That was with preconditioning and 10%.
Think I was hoping for better/ faster.
On the upside saw a new LHD X.
You’ll be limited by the charger.

Scotch corner is V2 so it’s 120-150kw peak between pairs. If you are sharing 60-65kw is entirely normal.

Reactions: Carts850
There’s an older application, 22/00430/FULLS for 12 supercharger stalls plus 12 Gridserve rapids, but this isn’t referenced in the new planning application. The older plan is an amendment to one which is nearly 3 yrs old so not sure if it will go ahead (some groundworks were reported a while back but no charger equipment spotted).
Looking on my phone (so may have missed some info) I didn’t find any description of the 6 EV charging points. It sounds a bit unambitious for a new MSA supercharger though.

I go past this site on my way to work. It's had 6 Gridserve chargers installed for the past 3-4 months but they have yet to be turned on and have railings around them still.

No sign of any groundwork for other charging though.

Anyone know the status of Fraddon in Cornwall? Been built since last Summer but still not turned on.

Nah, no movement as far as I know. I am waiting on this one as our base most summers is in Fraddon - would save me stopping at Lifton for a charge on the way down.
Looks the same as it was in August from what my relatives tell me - they live across the road from there.

• Informative
Reactions: cezdoc

The new one (24/00322) says in the planning statement document:

Externally, the Site is served by a picnic area and benches to the west, and car park to the south
which provides 158 spaces, including 24 electrical charging vehicle points

and references the older 20/03020. It doesn't mention 22/00430, but that is just putting canopies over the top of the chargepoints authorised by 20/03020. 20/03020 itself then shows on its plans the proposed Mcdonalds drive-through as a separate building (20/03176, superceded by this latest application).

However, the 'proposed site plan' for 24/00322 (the new one) show 6 charging spaces in the corner of the carpark, drawn on the plan as 3 Tesla, 3 unmarked but presumably Gridserv, and does NOT show the 'existing 24' spaces which are right by the proposed new drive-through lane exit (but not so far as I can tell overlapping with it).

The original 24 (20/03020) was also a bit odd in having 20 (12 tesla, 8 blank) in the main carpark, then 4 more in the petrol station area (connected within the plan's red-line area by a thin strip, maybe reflecting cable route?).

It would be useful to know exactly what has currently been built on site - it would seem that the author of the planning statement in 24/00322, while boasting of her 12 years experience as a planning consultant, is sat in her office in Harrogate and hasn't bothered to visit the site....

It would be useful to know exactly what has currently been built on site - it would seem that the author of the planning statement in 24/00322, while boasting of her 12 years experience as a planning consultant, is sat in her office in Harrogate and hasn't bothered to visit the site....

As mentioned a little further up by @HCassidy, all that’s been built EV infrastructure charging wise to the best of my knowledge is the six not yet operational Gridserve chargers as indicated on plan below plus just the one I think currently operational 50kwh charger near where X marks the spot. I’ll probably be passing on Thursday and if I remember can take a drive through out of interest.

Attachments

• IMG_2326.jpeg
    IMG_2326.jpeg
    495.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: arg and cezdoc
As mentioned a little further up by @HCassidy, all that’s been built EV infrastructure charging wise to the best of my knowledge is the six not yet operational Gridserve chargers as indicated on plan below plus just the one I think currently operational 50kwh charger near where X marks the spot. I’ll probably be passing on Thursday and if I remember can take a drive through out of interest.

OK, thanks.

Those 6 new are in the location taken by 2 on the original plan plus space freed up by the fact the original plan had to assume the carpark entry/exit were to be moved for the proposed drive-through building on the left, now cancelled).

The new plan however does mean that some of the original 24 charging spaces can't possibly be built (they covered the existing charger at 'X' and the new drive-through exit and the gap newly created in the next row of parking spaces). I was fooled when I first looked at it by that moving of carpark exit on the assumed 'existing' state for the 24-space plan.

So in reality the 20/03020 plan is dead. It relied in any case on new parking spaces created elsewhere by the McDonalds development to balance loss of parking (the charging spaces are nearly double the size of the existing parking spaces), and about 6 of the 24 spaces are overlaid by the new development.

If the 6 currently under construction are all Gridserve, then that suggests Tesla aren't going to be here at all, contrary to the 'T' markings on the new plan - but I wouldn't have thought Tesla would be interested in installing a 3-stall site in the first place, too small to manage demand in the modern world.

It's tempting to file a comment against the current planning application (which is newly submitted and still open for comments) saying that their planning statement is incorrect in saying there are 24 existing spaces.

If the 6 currently under construction are all Gridserve, then that suggests Tesla aren't going to be here at all, contrary to the 'T' markings on the new plan - but I wouldn't have thought Tesla would be interested in installing a 3-stall site in the first place, too small to manage demand in the modern world.

For a while Tesla did have one of their ‘coming at some random quarter date in the future’ markers at Rownhams on their own Supercharger locations map, but it disappeared some time ago. There’s probably mention of it earlier on this thread somewhere, perhaps it’s a hangover from that.

For a while Tesla did have one of their ‘coming at some random quarter date in the future’ markers at Rownhams on their own Supercharger locations map, but it disappeared some time ago. Perhaps it’s a hangover from that.

Yes, the original 24-stall plan was clearly Tesla + Gridserve; it looks very much like this new reduced plan is Gridserve only. Hard to know from the outside whether it's funding or power availability that's reduced the ambition - the change to the McD plans is clearly a cheaper option, and maybe the 24-stall plan involved some funding from Moto. Or maybe it didn't, but there's not enough power for that many stalls and Tesla aren't interested in a much smaller site.

Reactions: cezdoc
Planning docs for a new service centre east of St. Albans have been reported on TOUK, including 12 supercharger bays.
Tesla have a coming soon map marker, original target Q1 2024, although evidently in reality it will be a bit later than that before everything is built.

St Albans Council Ref 5/2023/2572

Glyn Hopkin Nissan, Lyon Way, St Albans, Hertfordshire AL4 0LQ
My location coordinate estimate: (51.751800, -0.275100)