Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not a tradesman so not totally sure, but the CT clamps need a data cable from charger to meter to monitor load- the £35 version has a set length but many installers use EV ultra cat5 which is basically the power cable combined with data cable. It’s about £4-5/m more expensive than standard power cable and easier and neater than snaking a data wire around the power cable + £10-20 to fit the clamps and wiring

+ They likely have a standard mark-up and profit for supply items to cover occasional failures, collection or postage etc..

So if that applies probably not too bad. £700 seems about average for the smaller chargers, some seem to get incredible deals but perhaps their installs are REALLY simple.
Oh fair enough. My charger is 7.3 kwh. The electrician let me down today due to child care duties.. he said he will come on monday yo fix the charger. Not impressed as the company i got this organised from are using 1 man band business to do the installation. Ill update on Monday once he installs the charger.

That's a great result. We've got 80amp cut off fuse without any load balancing/CT clamps. Mind you our PodPoint was installed in our garage (about 30m away from the main house consumer unit) which was already supplied with adequate cable supply into its own consumer unit - just had all the fuses changed to RCOBs by separate sparky and this made standard installation which was included in the PodPoint price feasible. So would have had to wire the CT clamp with a data cable back to the house which would have been a nightmare.
I assume you may know this but for other browsers the Zappi can be supplied with wireless CT clamps (called harvi, £50ish) and so does not need a data cable. That makes it a good solution if you need load balancing but already have power buried to say a garage and dont want to dig it all up for a data cable.

Personally I didn't need to load management as I have a 100a fuse and already have the cable to front wall of my house so didn't need any form of data cable/transfer which is why I went with the cheaper Wallbox Pulsar.

I assume you may know this but for other browsers the Zappi can be supplied with wireless CT clamps (called harvi, £50ish) and so does not need a data cable. That makes it a good solution if you need load balancing but already have power buried to say a garage and dont want to dig it all up for a data cable.
I would just add that though the Harvi is a great solution for a wireless connection to CT clamps if using a Zappi be aware that it does have similar range limitations to other wireless devices. This may mean that if the Zappi is located a long way from the incoming tails where the CT clamp(s) is/are attached it may not work. It reaches further than traditional WiFi (uses different frequencies) but will still be affected by thick walls and long distance. In my case the Harvi would not connect to the Zappi about 30 metres away though I think the spec suggests up to 100 metres. Any installation would need to be tried to confirm.

Reactions: Fenlandmud
A recommendation for anyone in Yorkshire. Had a hypervault 7.5m installed Thursday by plugitingroup. Clear pricing, provided entry prices for supply and install and after supplying pics they confirmed that price for me. 10m cable run, separate RCD, Ultra EV cable included. £630 after the grant. Felt this was a very good price highly recommended.

We are in Berkshire and had our Andersen installed this week as a second charger (already have a PodPoint) and very pleased with the install. Geoff didn’t hurry and made sure we were happy with positioning and cable routing which neatly followed the existing cable route for the PodPoint inside the garage as close as it could. Both come straight off the Meter (100amp) with appropriate adaptive fuse also fitted. Went with the second unit for another car arriving soon and to give some options on where to park and charge on the drive As well as being able to use / schedule both as required.

The Andersen (both with install and the OZEV subsidy) is considerably more expensive than the PodPoint was for the same but as the Andersen is on the front of the house and PodPoint to the side (out of view) we felt it worth while for aesthetics. Both work similarly and we would recommend either depending on your preference and location for install.

For both we went through the companies themselves but would have been happy to use our normal electrician had time not been against us. Although for ease of supply and service going direct was simpler and both companies make the online process of ordering straightforward.
B9A01724-ABD8-40CC-84CA-4062E914829C.jpeg
2BCF85F8-93A5-427B-866F-8550957BBF0B.jpeg

Reactions: Fenlandmud
Hi Guys update from me! - i Finely had the Installer come today and successfully installed the SyncEV charger for me. They charged me an extra £150 because they had to install a mini consumer unit as my breakers in my current unit where unbranded/and different brands. I paid the extra £150 and a total cost of this charger is £850 with installation, load limiter and mini consumer unit.

The installer was really nice and did an absolute amazing job on hiding the armoured cable.

See the picture below and let me know what you think of it guys?

P.s. the company i used was PropCert.

Attachments

• 20220228_150625.jpg
    20220228_150625.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 127
Had my Wallbox fitted today by my electrician, very neat but as he had put the cable in 12 months ago when we extended it was fairly simple. I would recommend Brodie Electrical Services if you are in the East Cambridgeshire area and not applying through the grant...which everyone will be after end of March.

£480 for the wallbox - £50-60 for the install.

1646146261653.png
1646146293431.png

Reactions: RichardTheKing
Very worried about mine next week. I am getting a charge point installed for free as part of my lease deal and after about 4 weeks of chasing they finally set a date but I need it installed on my drive which is behind my house so will need the cabling run all the way out there and I have sent them pictures and diagrams etc.

Initially they said there may be more charges and then they just booked me in. I rang them last week just to confirm and they came back to me and said definitely no charge. I just know when they turn up there is going to be an issue.

Very worried about mine next week. I am getting a charge point installed for free as part of my lease deal and after about 4 weeks of chasing they finally set a date but I need it installed on my drive which is behind my house so will need the cabling run all the way out there and I have sent them pictures and diagrams etc.

Initially they said there may be more charges and then they just booked me in. I rang them last week just to confirm and they came back to me and said definitely no charge. I just know when they turn up there is going to be
Companies normally charge £12 extra per meter if its not under 10m. Hope it helps

My Tesla Wall Connector V3 install and commissioning was concluded this morning. I had it installed inside the garage, around 30m from the house, which entailed some ground work to bury the SWA cable. The electrician split the 100A feed via a Garo consumer unit with the necessary PEN fault protection.

I am pleased with the install and would recommend Dean Catling Electrical Ltd to others in the Ipswich area.
IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_1274.jpeg

Last edited:
Had my Ohme charger installed today by AES charge. First class service, a difficult install with my driveway at the rear of the house and was all done to be attached to my garage without any issues at all.

Fantastic and even better because it was free through my lease company.

Reactions: milesr3
My Tesla Wall Connector V3 install and commissioning was concluded this morning. I had it installed inside the garage, around 30m from the house, which entailed some ground work to bury the SWA cable. The electrician split the 100A feed via a Garo consumer unit with the necessary PEN fault protection.

I am pleased with the install and would recommend Dean Catling Electrical Ltd to others in the Ipswich area.
View attachment 779400
View attachment 779401
Nice Tesla Charger !

Has anyone got an Ohme home charger, or maybe this is a generic issue? I set my charger to run last night during my Octopus Go off peak rate, on my wife’s Phev as my Model 3 doesn’t arrive for two weeks, and set a schedule to tell it to reach 100% by 04:30.

This morning is has charged and looks like it restricted it to the off peak period but it only reached 97% despite having plenty of time to charge the whole battery in that time.

Will this be something to do with it trying to balance the load and not quite doing it in time? Any ideas how to schedule it properly?

Has anyone got an Ohme home charger, or maybe this is a generic issue? I set my charger to run last night during my Octopus Go off peak rate, on my wife’s Phev as my Model 3 doesn’t arrive for two weeks, and set a schedule to tell it to reach 100% by 04:30.

This morning is has charged and looks like it restricted it to the off peak period but it only reached 97% despite having plenty of time to charge the whole battery in that time.

Will this be something to do with it trying to balance the load and not quite doing it in time? Any ideas how to schedule it properly?
I would guess that it simply didn't have time. The way charging rates go is that as the battery approaches 100% the rate gets slower and slower. The last couple of percent may take as long as the previous 10% for example.

I have ordered a Tesla gen3 wall charger

How much should I expect to pay for fitting? The fuse box is literally a meter away from where I am looking to mount the charger in the garage.

I have been quoted an average price for installation of between £500-750

Waiting on a few of the other authorised electricians I have contacted to get back to me

I have ordered a Tesla gen3 wall charger

How much should I expect to pay for fitting? The fuse box is literally a meter away from where I am looking to mount the charger in the garage.

I have been quoted an average price for installation of between £500-750

Waiting on a few of the other authorised electricians I have contacted to get back to me
What do you mean by authorised electricians?