Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeh exactly, but obvs it goes without saying, get a pros advice, don’t take my advice as gospel, just sharing what I think is right and what I’d be challenging on.
Electrician came today... we're going with a 10mm cable and a 50amp MCB in the house consumer unit. He was very much of the view that who knows what else you might want to run at the same time as charging the car so to avoid it tripping out then go large. He's doing his stuff on the 25th, so if Pod Point can schedule for 28th or 1st then I'll actually have a charger before my car!

Yesterday we had our Anderson fitted (in Essex) I was really impressed with both the service and the actual unit.

I was slightly concerned as I feared our installation would be a nightmare, but after some forward planning and an outstanding installer (Jason), we managed to avoid trunking. Our solution is much neater than I thought possible.

Sure it is not the smallest or cheapest unit but I definitely would recommend it if anyone was considering it.

Can any of you Leicester folks recommend a wall charger installer? I dont hold much faith in the person im chasing at the moment, barely has the time to respond to my messages.
I used a company called propcert the gentleman that helped me and guided me thorughout the process was called Edson. I reallt recommend that broker to install your charger. They only install wallbox or sync ev. I wanted an untethered charger so i got sync ev. I already recieved my charger by post and the installation is on the 22nd feb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wallbox ordered from DRT electrical, £485 for the unit which was about as cheap as you can get. Electrician quoted to fit it, along with some other bits. So once its done ill post a comparison between that and the £747 I was quoted installed through the grant....I'm fairly sure it'll be cheaper this way.

Reactions: Js1977
Wallbox ordered from DRT electrical, £485 for the unit which was about as cheap as you can get. Electrician quoted to fit it, along with some other bits. So once its done ill post a comparison between that and the £747 I was quoted installed through the grant....I'm fairly sure it'll be cheaper this way.
My wuite was for £700 for an Sync Ev with installation and a load limiter. If ny meter was 100amp instead of 60amp it would of been £600

My wuite was for £700 for an Sync Ev with installation and a load limiter. If ny meter was 100amp instead of 60amp it would of been £600
Interesting, why the load limiter if you have 100a going in? do you have heat pumps, electric showers, solar or a larger home? I have an underfloor heat pump and a hot water Air source heat pump but electrician says the load will be far less than 100a and if it ever peaked above it would not be long enough to cause issues.

Interesting, why the load limiter if you have 100a going in? do you have heat pumps, electric showers, solar or a larger home? I have an underfloor heat pump and a hot water Air source heat pump but electrician says the load will be far less than 100a and if it ever peaked above it would not be long enough to cause issues.
Nope, i have a 60amp electric meter the sales person said i need a load limitor as my meter is not 100 amp... did they mug me off for a £100?

Nope, i have a 60amp electric meter the sales person said i need a load limitor as my meter is not 100 amp... did they mug me off for a £100?
No apologies, I think I mis-read that they were upping you to a 100a for that £100. So at 60a you may well need load management, for example if you have the charger at 32a and then a cooker, tumble dryer and hair dryer etc all pulling up to 13a and a load more stuff at a few amps each you could peak over 60a so the load management would kick in to avoid overload.

No apologies, I think I mis-read that they were upping you to a 100a for that £100. So at 60a you may well need load management, for example if you have the charger at 32a and then a cooker, tumble dryer and hair dryer etc all pulling up to 13a and a load more stuff at a few amps each you could peak over 60a so the load management would kick in to avoid overload.
Ahhh, thanks for explaing that buddy! However, i saw online the same load limiter they sold to me for £100 was for £35 online. So they dod mug me for £65 lol. Tomorrow is the installation so ill let you guys know how the experience is. But £700 for sync ev +load limiter and installation is a fair price?

Ahhh, thanks for explaing that buddy! However, i saw online the same load limiter they sold to me for £100 was for £35 online. So they dod mug me for £65 lol. Tomorrow is the installation so ill let you guys know how the experience is. But £700 for sync ev +load limiter and installation is a fair price?
I assume they mean your cut off fuse is 60amps. Your DNO should be able to increase this to 80 or 100? From previous research DNOs have often come and done this for free, but it might take sometime though.

Afternoon all,

Just had my Hypervolt installed in Shrewsbury by AJM Elecrical out of Bridgnorth.

Adam was professional and even though it was a relatively straightforward install, he took care and attention over it and I’m really happy. Took the time to help me connect my box to the wifi and went through all the functions with me.

Just need my Y now. 😆

Oh, an all for £620 after grant.

Attachments

• 28FC2CE8-8906-4D9B-A6F6-459AE5AB868B.jpeg
    28FC2CE8-8906-4D9B-A6F6-459AE5AB868B.jpeg
    856.8 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: NSS89
I assume they mean your cut off fuse is 60amps. Your DNO should be able to increase this to 80 or 100? From previous research DNOs have often come and done this for free, but it might take sometime though.

I placed an order for a Hypervolt on the 18th, the installer contacted my DNO who emailed me on the 21st saying they have had a request to upgrade me to a 80amp fuse and to call them to book in. Called them the same day and they are coming out tomorrow to do the upgrade. I was expecting it to take weeks so pleasantly surprised at the turnaround.

I’m not a tradesman so not totally sure, but the CT clamps need a data cable from charger to meter to monitor load- the £35 version has a set length but many installers use EV ultra cat5 which is basically the power cable combined with data cable. It’s about £4-5/m more expensive than standard power cable and easier and neater than snaking a data wire around the power cable + £10-20 to fit the clamps and wiring

+ They likely have a standard mark-up and profit for supply items to cover occasional failures, collection or postage etc..

So if that applies probably not too bad. £700 seems about average for the smaller chargers, some seem to get incredible deals but perhaps their installs are REALLY simple.

I placed an order for a Hypervolt on the 18th, the installer contacted my DNO who emailed me on the 21st saying they have had a request to upgrade me to a 80amp fuse and to call them to book in. Called them the same day and they are coming out tomorrow to do the upgrade. I was expecting it to take weeks so pleasantly surprised at the turnaround.
That's a great result. We've got 80amp cut off fuse without any load balancing/CT clamps. Mind you our PodPoint was installed in our garage (about 30m away from the main house consumer unit) which was already supplied with adequate cable supply into its own consumer unit - just had all the fuses changed to RCOBs by separate sparky and this made standard installation which was included in the PodPoint price feasible. So would have had to wire the CT clamp with a data cable back to the house which would have been a nightmare.

I have finally got a date for the install of my charge point after weeks of chasing the company providing the chargers as part of my lease deal.

They had said that they needed to quote me for additional works because my drive is out the back of my house and they will need to run cables but then they just rung me up and have me a date.

I am thinking that I need to ring them again to confirm they know this won’t be a simple install, my car is due by the end of March so I can’t wait beyond that.