Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got it installed from local electrician in Lincolnshire. It was straight forward installation. About 10 meters cable with pen fault device, total costing 300. Bought charger directly from Tesla, even Amazon is selling then these days I think.

Reactions: Spacemanwho
Hey everyone,

Any recommendations for Hampshire? Looking for someone to install a Tesla Wall Connector. Just got a quote from Smart Home Charge for £900 (£612 for labour, extra cabling + £288 for a "single phase EV voltage monitoring and protection device" which I presume is a PEN fault detector). Is this a reasonable quote? I was hoping I could get it for cheaper.

If you're looking for a "standard install" (EV charger within 10m of the consumer unit or main incommer, no unusual install work, consumer unit in good order, etc, etc), this seems excessive, given you have to apply the wallbox.
Mine (Wallbox Pulsar) took 2 people (1 qualified, one work experience) under an hour to install. The PEN fault device will take another 20 mins to install perhaps. There are a lot of companies making some very good margins on charger installs...

Octopus will install a charger for about £1k including the charger itself, just not the tesla chargers.

Reactions: Spacemanwho
If you're looking for a "standard install" (EV charger within 10m of the consumer unit or main incommer, no unusual install work, consumer unit in good order, etc, etc), this seems excessive, given you have to apply the wallbox.
Mine (Wallbox Pulsar) took 2 people (1 qualified, one work experience) under an hour to install. The PEN fault device will take another 20 mins to install perhaps. There are a lot of companies making some very good margins on charger installs...

Octopus will install a charger for about £1k including the charger itself, just not the tesla chargers.

I appreciate the info. I've reached out to other electricians in the area; hopefully I get a cheaper quote.

Octopus recently installed a Ohme Home Pro smart charger for me, for £999. Less than 10m from consumer unit to the charger, but two walls requiring drilling. I got four quotes and Octopus were the cheapest by £400, and could do it quicker than the other local electricians who offered a price. Very happy with the install, good communication beforehand, Octopus electrician turned up on time and took a lot of care to make sure it was a neat installation inside and outside the house.

That's amazing! It is a shame Octopus can't install Tesla Wall Connectors :(

Got a quote back from Mr Charger; £625 and that includes a PEN fault detection device. That's the best offer I've gotten so far... I think I might go ahead with them. I pick my car up on Monday and have no idea how long I'll have to wait for someone to come and install it. Might as well start the process now.

That's amazing! It is a shame Octopus can't install Tesla Wall Connectors :(

Got a quote back from Mr Charger; £625 and that includes a PEN fault detection device. That's the best offer I've gotten so far... I think I might go ahead with them. I pick my car up on Monday and have no idea how long I'll have to wait for someone to come and install it. Might as well start the process now.
Just to make sure you're clear, the only advantage of the Tesla charger is that you have a button to open to charge flap on the charger itself, and looks (which are nice but not too much to write home about).

Overall, that comes to a fairly reasonable price though, glad you managed to get it down. Obviously the sooner you start the order, the better.

Just to make sure you're clear, the only advantage of the Tesla charger is that you have a button to open to charge flap on the charger itself, and looks (which are nice but not too much to write home about).

Overall, that comes to a fairly reasonable price though, glad you managed to get it down. Obviously the sooner you start the order, the better.

Yeah I went for the Tesla because the smart features offered by the others chargers I looked at were of no use to me, and I naively thought it would be cheaper to install, but overall I'm happy with my decision.

The wall charger should be delivered tomorrow - I'm hoping I don't have to wait more than a couple of weeks for installation.

Possibly a really stupid question; does the Tesla charger need to connect to WiFi to charge the car? Or is that just for software updates? Just tried to connect my phone to my home WiFi network from my drive (where the charger will be installed) and the signal is so bad. And will I be able to use Intelligent Octopus if the charger isn't connected to WiFi?

Possibly a really stupid question; does the Tesla charger need to connect to WiFi to charge the car? Or is that just for software updates? Just tried to connect my phone to my home WiFi network from my drive and the signal is so bad. And will I still be able to use Intelligent Octopus if the charger isn't connected to WiFi?
You will need it to activate it once if I’m not wrong. Otherwise Wi-Fi is not necessary for charging

Reactions: Astrape
Possibly a really stupid question; does the Tesla charger need to connect to WiFi to charge the car? Or is that just for software updates? Just tried to connect my phone to my home WiFi network from my drive (where the charger will be installed) and the signal is so bad. And will I be able to use Intelligent Octopus if the charger isn't connected to WiFi?

So long as the car itself has an internet connection via LTE then I don't think the charger itself will essentially need connectivity (for Octopus IO) as the charger can be "dumb".

Reactions: Astrape
Hoping some of the he knowledgable people here can sense check something for me please.

We have a really simple set-up - consumer unit in the garage, separate switch / fuse unit next to currently this with a ~4m cable run to a fully functional tethered PodPoint 7kW charger on the outside garage wall.

As we now have solar panels on the roof, I have been looking at switching the PodPoint unit for a Zappi 2.1.

Installers are quoting for a full install (yes, I have made them aware of above in writing and photos) whereas to my simple, non-electricians brain, I am thinking the existing installation should reduce work / provide some installation savings?

Am I being overly simplistic/ missing something?

Last edited:
Hoping some of the he knowledgable people here can sense check something for me please.

We have a really simple set-up - consumer unit in the garage, separate switch / fuse unit next to currently this with a ~4m cable run to a fully functional tethered PodPoint 7kW charger on the outside garage wall.

As we now have solar panels on the roof, I have been looking at switching the PodPoint unit for a Zappi 2.1.

Installers are quoting for a full install (yes, I have made them aware of above in writing and photos) whereas to my simple, non-electricians brain, I am thinking the existing installation should reduce work / provide some installation savings?

Am I being overly simplistic/ missing something?

I honestly think you could install the Zappi yourself. Can you wire a plug?(It's easier than a plug in some ways.) All the wiring is already up to spec for a 7kW charge point. By all means get it checked by an electrician before use. [The installer may be intending to replace your supply cable with the new type that includes a data cable but you could either add a separate data cable or use the Harvi communication box which communicatess by wireless. You need 2 CT clamps, 1 for your supply and 1 for the solar side I understand (I have a Zappi but am not using it with solar)]

Reactions: Whyone
My house is a Victorian terrace in North Devon with the consumer unit at the front and the parking at the back, so the cable will need to run through at least 2 rooms. I'm curious as to how the electrician will manage it. Also thinking of adding cabling for 32A outlet in the kitchen and another for an ASHP out back so that's 3 chunky cables.

After visiting the Fully Charged show at the weekend I got a special offer for QUBEV smart charger - £349 for the unit. I want a socketed charger rather than tethered one so it suits the requirements. Although there are some better looking units for a few hundred quid more like the Zaptec Go or the EO Mini 3 they offer the same functionality but may be more reliable as the QUBEV comes from Rolec who seem to have a mixed reputation.

My house is a Victorian terrace in North Devon with the consumer unit at the front and the parking at the back, so the cable will need to run through at least 2 rooms. I'm curious as to how the electrician will manage it. Also thinking of adding cabling for 32A outlet in the kitchen and another for an ASHP out back so that's 3 chunky cables.

They will probably need to pass the cables under your floors. There's no magic solution. Disruption will be significant and the cost will likely dwarf the price of your chosen charge point.

After visiting the Fully Charged show at the weekend I got a special offer for QUBEV smart charger - £349 for the unit. I want a socketed charger rather than tethered one so it suits the requirements. Although there are some better looking units for a few hundred quid more like the Zaptec Go or the EO Mini 3 they offer the same functionality but may be more reliable as the QUBEV comes from Rolec who seem to have a mixed reputation.
A tethered is so much more convenient