Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I had an update on the on goings of my EV charge point...

Turns out, I would need UK Power Network to come to my house to upgrade the fuse main head to 100amps. (currently on 60 and never been upgraded) to make matters even worse, I am on a looped system with my neighbours, so it could potentially mean UK Power Network need to dig up the road and run fresh cabling into my house.

Could take a few months for all this to happen but when it does, I have decided between the Hypervolt 2.0, Tesla Gen 3 or perhaps the Andersen a2 wall points.

Fingers crossed this can get done this side of Christmas...

EDIT: Got a quote for £350 all in. So not bad... All the work carried out by UK Power Network is free... so a little plus!
Finally got an update from UK Power Network!
Yes, it took that long to schedule in my work...

My issue was that I have a main 100amp line coming into my home however its looped into my neighbour, which meant UK power network had to dig up their driveway to run a new line and then split the connections.

Long story short, after a lot of phone calls, I've finally managed to secure a install date. 14th Dec!

Now I have to arrange charging... Is charging from a granny charger even worth while? Or should I take the hit and use superchargers?
What is everyone's thoughts on this? Itll be around 2 and a half weeks from collection > installing a charger at home.

Now I have to arrange charging... Is charging from a granny charger even worth while? Or should I take the hit and use superchargers?
What is everyone's thoughts on this? Itll be around 2 and a half weeks from collection > installing a charger at home.
Depends on your daily mileage and driving style. On average, the granny charger will add about 8-10 miles of range for every hour it's plugged in. Superchargers will be way quicker but also a lot pricier than charging at home. Choice is yours!

Reactions: Adopado and bainsy

My issue was that I have a main 100amp line coming into my home however its looped into my neighbour, which meant UK power network had to dig up their driveway to run a new line and then split the connections.

Long story short, after a lot of phone calls, I've finally managed to secure a install date. 14th Dec!

Some people manage to successfully do all of their charging using the UMC at 2kW (for years)! If the car is routinely parked up and plugged in for most of the time you are at home you can put a very useful number of miles "in the tank". However, if you drain your battery every day and you only get home at 10pm and leave at 6am in the next morning then obviously you're going to struggle!

Reactions: Dhrucku
I did get a quote originally for an EV charger from an independent but then decided to go with Octopus. I mean isn’t it a no brainer to go with a company such as Octopus if you intend to transfer to their tariff as well which is what most people do? On the back of this, aren’t a lot of EV charger companies feeling the squeeze from Octopus as the fee was also about £150 less to install?

Forest of Dean / Wye Valley - Andy Breeze, Breeze Electrical Solutions, Ruspidge - Zappi Installer
I needed a cable 50 metres to the garage, new garage consumer unit, sockets, charger etc. and load management on the main supply as I have night storage heaters.
Because of the complexity of this I spoke to 25 different people and only got 3 quotes. Andy was a little more expensive, but also clearly the most experienced, and happy for me to lay the cables myself to mitigate cost and avoid bringing a digger in the garden and alarming the garden boss.
Very professional, excellent communication, adaptable and aware of networks and chargers. Highly recommend.
It would probably be much easier to get quotes for this by splitting it into two pieces, get the garage consumer unit put in by an electrician who would understand that bit, and then you can use the charger install companies for the charger. Most local electricians dont know about the charger, and most charger install companies dont want to do new garage wiring. Even the local Mr Charger came and surveyed and never quoted despite being prompted.

Hi

Any one recommendations for installation of Tesla Wall Connecter in Edinburgh?
I think Voltix cover Edinburgh.

Did my Tesla charger (they do others and were very helpful to a mate who had his Anderson charger installed the day before they went into administration)
Best price. Very knowledgeable and a very nice guy. Would highly recommend

I'm not affiliated with them. Just happy with service.

Just had my Hypervolt wall charge point installed and thought I would give a shout out for RJS Electrical who did a great job leaving the place neat and tidy. He took time out to go through the job and the workings of the unit. Based near Crewe so good for South Cheshire. They are an approved Hypervolt Installer and can be found on Facebook.

I think Voltix cover Edinburgh.

Did my Tesla charger (they do others and were very helpful to a mate who had his Anderson charger installed the day before they went into administration)
Best price. Very knowledgeable and a very nice guy. Would highly recommend

I'm not affiliated with them. Just happy with service.
Thanks!
I have them scheduled to install in January

Update for anyone still following:

The snow... Has... Ruined... my plans...
First of all, the cars wouldnt even come off the driveway because they kept slipping and sliding. After shovelling I would say a tonne of snow off the driveway / pavement, work finally began at 1pm.

Not sure how delayed this might make things but still have the electrician booked for 15th Dec to come install my charger!

For anyone around Aberdeen I highly recommend PGS property maintenance in Aberdeen.
Found them as a recommendation for instal on a hypervolt website.
Great service, took time to explain everything and I absolutely love my hypervolt charger, adding 31mph.
I know they are installing other chargers as well.