Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He he … fair point!
I’m lucky to have a spot that nobody looks at… I seriously considered getting a rusty old petrol pump to hide my charge point inside … then I discovered how much a rusty old petrol pump costs… and then there would have been a requirement for wife discussion/agreement…. nope, non starter!
That is a very cool idea though! Sure someone’s done something like that, if not, you’ve found a niche market 👌🏽

That is a very cool idea though! Sure someone’s done something like that, if not, you’ve found a niche market 👌🏽
I subsequently noticed that the Welsh EV conversion folk who do the Vintage Voltage show have a non rusty vintage petrol pump as a charger in their workshop, so I'm not the only one with that idea! Those old pumps are now very collectable and can cost thousands in some cases. I have a thing about old fashioned garages for some reason ... nostalgia from childhood memories I suppose. I served petrol for a few months in my teens ... oh the smell of fully leaded petrol!!

Reactions: scriptedpixels
This is what I did. It's out of sight, dry and the 7.4m cable reaches to where I usually park.

View attachment 805719
What's the width of the charger with the cable coiled around it in your pic? Trying to work out whether there is room between my two garage doors to have it installed. Worried the cable will stop both doors opening! I know I could potentially wind tighter but yours looks great...

What's the width of the charger with the cable coiled around it in your pic? Trying to work out whether there is room between my two garage doors to have it installed. Worried the cable will stop both doors opening! I know I could potentially wind tighter but yours looks great...
Two brick widths (18 inches). Co-incidentally the brick pillar between my garage doors is two brick widths, but I was concerned that the cable could become damaged if I didn't coil it away evenly every time.

Have just been quoted £1200 (inc VAT) for a charger and install here in Norwich by Norfolk Car Charging. Short cable run - didn't look too complex. They suggested the Zappi tethered unit. Anyone got any quotes for comparison or used anyone here in Norwich? Thanks

Have just been quoted £1200 (inc VAT) for a charger and install here in Norwich by Norfolk Car Charging. Short cable run - didn't look too complex. They suggested the Zappi tethered unit. Anyone got any quotes for comparison or used anyone here in Norwich? Thanks
Sounds like a fair price, I paid £934 but that was with the £350 grant taken off at the time.

My installation included the tethered charger, hub and new 4-way consumer unit. Short cable run under the floor as well so nothing too complex.

What's the cheapest "fully fitted" price you have seen for a charger? (Straightforward install, 2m and no consumer unit upgrade needed).
Lowest I could find advertised everywhere is "from £899". Assuming a charger is around £450, then feels expensive to have labour at the same cost.

Obviously the installers offering a fully installed EV charger "from £899" are not fitting Zappis... Quick google search for ev charger and look at the top ads, they're mostly SyncEV & Wallbox
Yes indeed ... I thought you're price comment was referencing the discussion on @NP90 quote ... which is "reasonable" given the price of the Zappi. (I put "reasonable" in quotes because charge point installations always end up feeling anything but reasonable ... maybe "typical" would be a better word ... but never mind, most of us only need to do it once.)

In contrast I've also got a quote of £870* for a fully fitted Hypervolt. Just waiting for the results of the installation survey but the price is based on basic installation. Seems much cheaper than Zappi.

Do most people here intend to leave their charger if they move houses and use it as a selling point, or would you hire (two) electrician(s) to remove it at the old property and fit it at the new one?
I uninstalled my old Pod Point charger and took it with me when I moved house. Though I'm sure it's just a 3.4kw charger for my PHEV so doubt it would be any good for the Tesla. It's still gathering dust in the garage now.