Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody used Octopus to install a charger recently? Their prices that include install of a Zappi seem to be very reasonable. I’m just wondering how long I’m likely to have to wait.
Recently, no. Octopus are operating a standard service, if you meet all of their requirements (Less than 10m, easy cable run, not at height, etc) then they're very good value, they'll generally do a decent install, and they'll be around in a few years if you have trouble
If you've got anything unusual, then they don't adapt particularly well. They also won't entertain "While you're at it" jobs

Recently, no. Octopus are operating a standard service, if you meet all of their requirements (Less than 10m, easy cable run, not at height, etc) then they're very good value, they'll generally do a decent install, and they'll be around in a few years if you have trouble
If you've got anything unusual, then they don't adapt particularly well. They also won't entertain "While you're at it" jobs
Thanks. It should be an easy install for them, nothing out of the ordinary.

Do you know if they fit the additional small consumer unit next to (or in) the meter cupboard? I would prefer that rather than it being connected the main CU as it should mean no (or less) drilling.

Do you know if they fit the additional small consumer unit next to (or in) the meter cupboard? I would prefer that rather than it being connected the main CU as it should mean no (or less) drilling.
Octopus *definitely* like to do everything in their own CUs, rather than take any responsibility for the existing install
EV Charger? New CU. Heatpump? New CU. Solar? New CU

Is the meter cupboard indoors?

I'm also looking for an EV charger installer who covers Newcastle area. I've contacted Octopus and paid for their quote, radio silence for several days until I called them today to ask when is the installation happening -- 8 to 10 weeks in my area apparently! 😲

I've tried one of Tesla's certified installers to see if they install around here and what's the time frame, no reply so far. I'm collecting my MY this weekend :confused:

I'm also looking for an EV charger installer who covers Newcastle area. I've contacted Octopus and paid for their quote, radio silence for several days until I called them today to ask when is the installation happening -- 8 to 10 weeks in my area apparently! 😲

I've tried one of Tesla's certified installers to see if they install around here and what's the time frame, no reply so far. I'm collecting my MY this weekend :confused:
yeah I actually had mine installed 4-5 months before getting the car. very long waitlists

Have you tried contacting the ones recommended by Tesla from its website: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/certified-installers

Most of them usually do nationwide installation, do a bit of research about the companies and check reviews. I've contacted quite a few from the list and one from Get Charging (http://www.get-charging.co.uk) replied immediately with competitive pricing and requirements. I've sent them what they asked for and now waiting for them to reply.
yeah I actually had mine installed 4-5 months before getting the car. very long waitlists
4 months! I wish I had that foresight. I decided on an impulse to get an electric last weekend to replace a petrol car. I've been in two minds for the longest time between a phev and a full electric and at one point got fed up and thought I'll just get another petrol. But did a test drive last week for a Tesla and just went for it.

I got a very quick reply from a company listed in the Tesla website, they said they can fit installation within a week and the price is cheaper than what I paid with Octopus. I've sent photos of the meter boards on Friday and I'm now waiting for them to reply. I'll update if I get anywhere with them and share the name.

BMW X3 Xdrive30e, just because I used to drive the petrol version so it won't be such a big transition but the dismal range and the potential issues of having both petrol and electric in one car made me think twice. I'm glad I went fully electric but now just trying to get through the first hurdle of getting a home charger.:) 🤞

Reactions: spdpsba
Have you tried contacting the ones recommended by Tesla from its website: https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/certified-installers

Most of them usually do nationwide installation, do a bit of research about the companies and check reviews. I've contacted quite a few from the list and one from Get Charging (http://www.get-charging.co.uk) replied immediately with competitive pricing and requirements. I've sent them what they asked for and now waiting for them to reply.

4 months! I wish I had that foresight. I decided on an impulse to get an electric last weekend to replace a petrol car. I've been in two minds for the longest time between a phev and a full electric and at one point got fed up and thought I'll just get another petrol. But did a test drive last week for a Tesla and just went for it.

I got a very quick reply from a company listed in the Tesla website, they said they can fit installation within a week and the price is cheaper than what I paid with Octopus. I've sent photos of the meter boards on Friday and I'm now waiting for them to reply. I'll update if I get anywhere with them and share the name.
Good decision. In my case it took so long because Shanghai was in lockdown. I ordered in Feb and got the car in August - it doesn’t usually take this long

Reactions: km4ch81
Just a quick update on the EV charger situation.

Get-Charging came today to do the installation after contacting them last week. I went for a Tesla charger as I prefer the connector as close to the wall as possible and not sticking out, I don't want people bumping into the charger as they walk past it.

Equipment Details:

Cables: 4mm SWA cable-8 meters, meter tails
Switchgear: IP65 Pen Device with 40 Amp Double Pole RCBO-Garo Brand, connection block.

I have yet to test it on the car (the installer has a thing-y to test if it's working) as I'm too lazy to drive out then reverse to do a test charge, but they've done a good job (tidy, professional) and they've already sent me all the paper works.

One thing I'll change if I have to do it again is order one with a surge protector. When I ordered from Octopus, this was one of the options but I didn't go with Octopus and forgot about it when I placed an order with Get Charging. It's not a massive concern but I would have preferred to have one for peace of mind although we ever rarely get power outage here up North.

Attachments

• 20230928_110044.jpg
    20230928_110044.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230928_110055.jpg
    20230928_110055.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 69
Any recommendations for Birmingham / West Midlands?
Thanks
Not sure if you are still looking but the EV Charger hub did mine in Solihull a couple of weeks ago and did a good job. I supplied the charger, and it was to replace an existing charger, so fit only. Home | THE EV CHARGER HUB

I contacted several of the official Tesla ones, most of which didn't seem that interested or had long wait times.

Reactions: Spacemanwho
I am about to take delivery of the new model 3 and now thinking of the charger at home..

If i would go for the tesla wall connecter, currently there is already a spare 32A circuit with RCBO + wired to the driveway.. is it possible that I can do it myself? Just wondering if it is just putting the charger on the wall and wiring into the charger itself, I can definitely manage that.

I read some threads and saw someone talking about the surge protection, does anyone have the charger without it? and what is the risk that I need to keep in mind if i dont put one in?

did I miss anything that should probably better off to let an electrician to do the job?