Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK FSD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I read the only dual thing about it was proposed legislation so that GB vehicles sold to NI would have the choice between UNECE and UK regulation.
this would apply to all car sales in UK and NI, i.e. either UNECE compliant or UK compliant, this is not specific to NI.

From section 3.3:

"We recommend that manufacturers who wish to include an ADS in their vehicles should have a choice. They may obtain systems approval at international level, in accordance with a UNECE regulation, from any UNECE approval authority[7] Alternatively, they can apply for domestic approval under a new domestic AV technical approval scheme"

So, if Tesla announce a doubling of the FSD price with a couple of days notice, to be followed by FSB City Streets beta rollout in UK (with some regulatory differences to what they have in North America) that only applies to FSD (not EAP or basic autopilot), will anyone then take the plunge to lock themselves in at the current price? I guess there is always (iirc) 14 day cooling off on upgrades if things don't work out.
Not me, I'd like to but other than a show pony feature I can't see me actually using it. I only use TACC on motorways now as I don't find the lane keep convenient/reliable. I'd much prefer to sit on my wallet and be happy to be proved wrong than spend the cash and be proven right.

There are only really two scenarios I want and they're both Level 3/4:

I'd be VERY happy to pay good money to drive to a motorway and then hand the driving over to the car for the next 2-3 hours until I get off or need to charge.

I'd also be very happy if the car can legally drive me back to the pub after I've had a few. Thats more like city streets but needs to be way above the approval levels currently knocking around on any make of customer car

Everything else driving wise I don't really find a problem.

Reactions: Pandinium and G4WFT
this would apply to all car sales in UK and NI, i.e. either UNECE compliant or UK compliant, this is not specific to NI.

From section 3.3:

"We recommend that manufacturers who wish to include an ADS in their vehicles should have a choice. They may obtain systems approval at international level, in accordance with a UNECE regulation, from any UNECE approval authority[7] Alternatively, they can apply for domestic approval under a new domestic AV technical approval scheme"
However that's rather old now, and from Feb 2024 the UK will have it's own type approval process where we cherry pick which UNECE regulations apply, see Updating GB type approval for road vehicles

So far this nonsense is there to allow the use of Euro 6d standard rather than 6e, basically a watering down of the emission standards, but it's clearly established a precedent of non-cooperation with EU requirements. There's also good evidence that manufacturers see it as pointless and have indicated they will keep supplying UK with cars that meet EU standards.

All a typical Brexit mess.

However that's rather old now, and from Feb 2024 the UK will have it's own type approval process where we cherry pick which UNECE regulations apply, see Updating GB type approval for road vehicles

So far this nonsense is there to allow the use of Euro 6d standard rather than 6e, basically a watering down of the emission standards, but it's clearly established a precedent of non-cooperation with EU requirements. There's also good evidence that manufacturers see it as pointless and have indicated they will keep supplying UK with cars that meet EU standards.

All a typical Brexit mess.
what will this mean if I for example decide to travel to continent with my car?

also, if this will mean that your car will comply with different regulations that with EU, then second hand prices for cars will plummet even more...

what will this mean if I for example decide to travel to continent with my car?

also, if this will mean that your car will comply with different regulations that with EU, then second hand prices for cars will plummet even more...
I think you will find that if there are different standards in the EU than in the UK then when your car's geolocation shows it has left the UK and arrived in the EU then certain features will be enabled/disabled in the software. Tesla does have the technology.

But if you have a euro 6d car that isn't compliant with EU standards you could potentially find yourself unable to drive abroad. The more divergence we have from standards the more people this would impact. It seems to me they won't do that to avoid chaos, they'll just stick to things like lowering emissions standards.

Reactions: yessuz
I think you will find that if there are different standards in the EU than in the UK then when your car's geolocation shows it has left the UK and arrived in the EU then certain features will be enabled/disabled in the software. Tesla does have the technology.
the same which automatically changes speedometer to kph, odometer to km and reconfigures lights? that one?

But if you have a euro 6d car that isn't compliant with EU standards you could potentially find yourself unable to drive abroad. The more divergence we have from standards the more people this would impact. It seems to me they won't do that to avoid chaos, they'll just stick to things like lowering emissions standards.
That would be very unlikely, the regulations govern what can be sold, not what can be driven. Lots of older cars don't meet current standards, but are still allowed to be driven.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with self-driving, I wouldn't be surprised if local vehicle regulations mandated that the systems are not operational outside the area of approval to avoid cross border issues. For example UK regs would require that it's not functional outside the UK, unless a system is also approved in that location.

That would be very unlikely, the regulations govern what can be sold, not what can be driven. Lots of older cars don't meet current standards, but are still allowed to be driven.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with self-driving, I wouldn't be surprised if local vehicle regulations mandated that the systems are not operational outside the area of approval to avoid cross border issues. For example UK regs would require that it's not functional outside the UK, unless a system is also approved in that location.
Not just those borders....what about the towns being run as separate states by ambitious mayors...they could prevent self driving on their streets

Not just those borders....what about the towns being run as separate states by ambitious mayors...they could prevent self driving on their streets
If you are referring to London and the ULEZ you are misunderstanding what's going on. If you are referring to some French bureaucrats then best to get your gilets jaune and start a strike.

ULEZ aghm aghm.

I mean they can outright ban cars which are non compliant as well :/