Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model 3 order page open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP is only supposed to be used on highways which are safer than other types of roads

Agreed there is not enough info to interpret the data.

But if it AP is only used on motorways and that accident rate is compared to all journeys then 50% would be a dreadful statistic. Department for Transport: "Eleven times more people die on country roads in England and Wales than on motorways"

I doubt that Tesla is just straight-out Cherry-picking the data, because when that comes out in the press it won't be defensible ... so on that basis I have made the presumption that it is somewhat "like for like". Tesla know GPS for where AP is used, so will know split for all Highway / non-Highway driving etc.

Ap has potentially saved me form one accident - braking for slowing traffic ahead just at the moment I had looked down at dashboard.

Agreed there is not enough info to interpret the data.

But if it AP is only used on motorways and that accident rate is compared to all journeys then 50% would be a dreadful statistic. Department for Transport: "Eleven times more people die on country roads in England and Wales than on motorways"

I doubt that Tesla is just straight-out Cherry-picking the data, because when that comes out in the press it won't be defensible ... so on that basis I have made the presumption that it is somewhat "like for like". Tesla know GPS for where AP is used, so will know split for all Highway / non-Highway driving etc.

Ap has potentially saved me form one accident - braking for slowing traffic ahead just at the moment I had looked down at dashboard.

Actually the only study that has really looked at the Tesla data called it out specifically for cherry picking data and not providing like-for-like or even reliable statistics.

I'm sure AP probably does make things more safe, although you example of slowing for traffic ahead is interesting because TACC is pretty common on vehicles now and would do the same job. In fact wasn't TACC available even without AP, before AP became mandatory?

In fact wasn't TACC available even without AP, before AP became mandatory?

Correct. Simple Cruise Control without AP .... standard Tesla Up-Sell

Actually the only study that has really looked at the Tesla data called it out specifically for cherry picking data and not providing like-for-like or even reliable statistics.

In that case highway only data should be 11 times better than the rest, not 2x ...

Can't have it both ways ...

The USA iPace forum has had a fair bit of chatter about really good discount deals. They come and go, as you say, but perhaps it is old stock just prior to new Model Year

I've formed the opinion iPace aren't selling all that well, which I think is a huge pity, I can't find anything wrong with it for anyone not needing frequent rapid charging.

Let's fact it, there's a ton of ignorance and misinformation surrounding EVs in the UK. To try and switch an existing Jaguar ICE owner isn;t going to be as simple as the dealers might have thought. Potential Tesla buyers tend to be more informed and have done their research.

Then there's the legendary JLR reliability...

I think every EV new to a manufacturer is going to have the same problem to a certain extent.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Let's fact it, there's a ton of ignorance and misinformation surrounding EVs in the UK. To try and switch an existing Jaguar ICE owner isn;t going to be as simple as the dealers might have thought. Potential Tesla buyers tend to be more informed and have done their research.

Then there's the legendary JLR reliability...

I think every EV new to a manufacturer is going to have the same problem to a certain extent.

I honestly like what Hyundia have done and offered 3 variations; Hybrid, Plug in Hybrid and All Electric. It's the gradual change which is going to convert a lot of the "gas heads". I personally do not like hybrids, but I think at the moment they have their place.

Correct. Simple Cruise Control without AP .... standard Tesla Up-Sell

It sucks that they make fairly standard features on cars in much lower price ranges optional extras, especially when they offer increased safety and Tesla is fitting the hardware anyway.

Just look at how much stick Boeing is getting for making safety features on the 737 MAX an optional upgrade.

• Funny
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
t sucks that they make fairly standard features on cars in much lower price ranges optional extras,

Well, yes, but Tesla needs money to fulfil its objectives, so that's how it is ... early buyers need to pony-up. If you are coming to the party now you are much-less-fleeced than those that came before you; if you budget is tight then sit-tight and wait, sorry.

Got nothing to do with safety, per se ... Tesla has plenty of that. Comparing it to Boeing PR is a low jibe. Tesla will ship you a car with all the hardware you need, entirely up to you how much money you want to part with for safety ... pay the extra whenever you like, no visit to service centre required.

Expecting to get everything for the entry-level-price is not a good look, surely?

• Funny
I honestly like what Hyundia have done and offered 3 variations; Hybrid, Plug in Hybrid and All Electric. It's the gradual change which is going to convert a lot of the "gas heads".

By making the electric version the most expensive it is hardly an incentive to buy one, I have only ever seen 1 all electric Hyundai and that was somewhere abroad, the rest have been hybrids and maybe 1 plug in.

If they made only one option being all electric then I would expect they may lose some sales that would have gone hybrid but would definitely get more all electric sales, but it is of course a business so that is why its not happening right now.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, yes, but Tesla needs money to fulfil its objectives, so that's how it is ... early buyers need to pony-up. If you are coming to the party now you are much-less-fleeced than those that came before you; if you budget is tight then sit-tight and wait, sorry.

I bought a Leaf 24 all those years ago, so I know about being an early adopter.

The problem is that Tesla sold this as an affordable car, but it's not. The real affordable cars are cheaper, longer range and have more features and tech as standard.

Tesla failed to deliver by Tesla's own standard. The Master Plan failed.

I have no doubt that Tesla will provide a cheap car, just not yet. Is that disappointing? yes, of course. Is it it fail of the Master Plan?, no of course not; Elon delivers late most of the time, and that is blatantly obviously because he sets such ambitious targets. The Master Plan is to ship affordable, mass market, EVs. Right now it needs more pump-prime cash. To date it has needed much more pump-prime cash, much higher up the food-chain. Plenty of people are M3 buyers at the current price - Tesla are heading for 500,000 p.a. - and that will enable the scaling-up and economy-of-scale which will enable cheaper products to be profitable.

If you can get the product you want, for price you want, elsewhere there is of course no point in buying / waiting for a Tesla.

If you can't and are disappointed as a result then I am disappointed for you too, but that time will come, and hopefully Tesla will be first to achieve that for you.

On some vehicles PCP deals can absolutely make sense. Due to heavy dealership and other incentives. My Jaguar I-PACE, for example, is ~£400 /mo with no deposit. And that's a vehicle that would cost ~£64,000 to buy.

Tesla doesn't have dealerships and don't do such heavy discounting. Any discount you'll get from them will be because a car has been lightly used (showroom models, demonstrators etc.) So PCP deals aren't as attractive as buying the car, although the route is certainly more accessible to many.

The best thing to do if you have some but not all of the money to buy, is to go part cash and part low interest loan. Sainsbury's bank will do say 2.9% APR on up to £25,000. Much better interest rates than Tesla will give you on HP (or PCP). Makes the most sense if you plan to keep the car for a while and you actually have the funds available to cover the rest. If you don't and I appreciate this will apply to many people, that's where PCP, HP with Tesla or PCH through a leasing company would be the only viable option. Or waiting and buying used.

Great advice and the route I will probably go for to finance my LR AWD. The APR is based on the applicant having a good credit rating so it could be higher than 2.9%.

I'm actually surprised that Tesla are still showing June delivery six days into the order books being open. Maybe I'm naive at the demand in the UK. What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

I wonder if optimum production line build efficiency is to put the line over to 100% RHD for a period? If so the whole boatload can be for UK ... maybe the boat will dock in UK instead of continent? (no re-assembly needed on the Model-3)

Flipside is the strain on Service Centres delivering that many vehicles to punters ...

Reactions: EV Guy
I wonder if optimum production line build efficiency is to put the line over to 100% RHD for a period? If so the whole boatload can be for UK ... maybe the boat will dock in UK instead of continent? (no re-assembly needed on the Model-3)

Flipside is the strain on Service Centres delivering that many vehicles to punters ...
I would suspect a total brief move in production to RHD Model 3's soon and agree with a boat load being shipped. I've read around 5-6,000 per boat load which 'could' be mixed RHD and European models. Drop off at a UK port and then move onto offload the rest perhaps.

Reactions: WannabeOwner