Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going to hang on to the Raven ... and see what else tuns up.
Think il end up sticking with it for now and see if some one else comes up with a good enough 6/7 seater package.
Nothing ticks all the boxes as comprehensively as the MS so a real blow for that to no longer be an option

I reckon you 3, and me, will wind up in a RHD MS / MX in 6 months time, once everyone has had a refund and new price can be set for RHD

Won’t help you trying to overtake with poor visibility

I wonder about that. I've driven plenty on continent, and overtaken on rural roads. The pick-up of MS (esp Plaid) will be so quick that hanging back to get good vis is only going to add a few milliseconds 🤓 to the overtaking manoeuvre.

But the 2nd hand value of a LHD is putting me off, along with feeling that RHD will come in a reasonable timeframe.

My problem is that I've grown use to Tesla - 4 cars in family shared on APP and integrated with PowerWalls, TeslaFi for journey data ... unlimited Supercharging ... huge cargo volume and I find it a very comfortable Grand Tourer on 500+ mile trips ... quite a lot to give up.

My requirements are Range and charging-ease, and that 2s 0-60 (yeah, I'll cut them the 1ft rollout)

I reckon you 3, and me, will wind up in a RHD MS / MX in 6 months time, once everyone has had a refund and new price can be set for RHD
According to a Tesla showroom member of staff the reason the RHD cars have been pulled is due to mechanical difficulties in the switch from LHD. Please don't shoot the messenger, especially as the origin of the message is the most unreliable source possible on matter relating to Tesla cars.

I hope you're right though. 🤞

According to a Tesla showroom member of staff the reason the RHD cars have been pulled is due to mechanical difficulties in the switch from LHD

I think that was said in the online conference too.

I'm trying to imagine what came up when they came to do the engineering / tooling for RHD that initial design had not spotted, and is now a fundamental show stopper.

Other than the price differential between orders that were taken back on Day One ... and price now :(. Although, someone posted here that they had been told they could have LHD for the price of their original order, and if that's the case then bang goes my "Price theory"

I don’t buy the mechanical argument.

They designed the platform from the start to accommodate RHD configurations. Engineering teams develop complex models and validate configurations through simulation prior to the manufacture of prototypes and engineering samples. ROI economics killed the RHD.

I doubt we’ll ever see RHD in the UK.

In fact, this could be the beginning of the end for the model S/X line globally.

Tesla I expect are directing resources towards improving the Y/3 to better compete with other OEM’s and model S features will appear in the refresh 3/Y.

I feel sorry for your passengers if you're doing that every time you want to overtake
Yeah. I’d love it personally, but I can’t imagine the other half putting up with it. I’ve always found it a bit strange that there’s a X Plaid, and that there’s been über fast ones before that. How many families can (will) tolerate stomach churning acceleration regularly?

Sorry guys but I cannot believe that some of you in the UK are actually considering buying a LHD MS or MX at RHD prices! Tesla have royally screwed us over left right and centre and some of you are just going to lie down and take it.
Just stop and think a bit about what you are doing - insurance costs, resale value, driving in the UK (and I know what I’m talking about as I drove a RHD supermirafiori in Norway for a few years many years back) etc, etc. Think about the EV market in a couple of years time and I’m certain there will be far more suitable competitors than there are today. Patience is a virtue.
Anybody taking an LHD now is simply encouraging Tesla to behave in such a cavalier fashion.

I also don't buy the engineering issues. It's a lack of ROI on making RHD and I also agree that I think they'll be killing it off in the not too distant future based on sales.

Even in LHD markets. The fact it had a yoke for a long time won't have helped. It still has no stalks so indicating off a roundabout would be a pain. For the most part it's a great car but they'll have put some buyers off even in LHD markets with this.

The fact it seems they plan to do this to the Model 3 and Y also... Wonder what that'll do to their sales.

In other news I checked today and my Disco 5 is still worth around £5k more than on the finance and I'd loaded it with all the options which are never factored on trade in. Tesla's might be dropping like a stone but still hard to get a Land Rover for the most part so values are staying up.

Just don't think there's anything that takes my interest to buy anymore. Nothing as special as the Model S Plaid would have been. The mindblowing acceleration would have been awesome for the school run and trips to the shops 😉

Sorry guys but I cannot believe that some of you in the UK are actually considering buying a LHD MS or MX at RHD prices! Tesla have royally screwed us over left right and centre and some of you are just going to lie down and take it.
Just stop and think a bit about what you are doing - insurance costs, resale value, driving in the UK (and I know what I’m talking about as I drove a RHD supermirafiori in Norway for a few years many years back) etc, etc. Think about the EV market in a couple of years time and I’m certain there will be far more suitable competitors than there are today. Patience is a virtue.
Anybody taking an LHD now is simply encouraging Tesla to behave in such a cavalier fashion.
I was in line for a plaid but as a cash buyer it makes no sense to me even more so. Its madness. The only others I can recall were BMW e30 M3's and some C class amg mercs as far I can recall but it was many years before they were worth it on hindsight. I discounted the previous model S p100d for not having door pockets (shocking imho lol)

I think the issue is Tesla have much better uses for limited skilled staff resources then a low volume car in a small market.
Yeh no. opening up sales in a new market means you hire additional team members to support that process and market.

if anything it will be changing the line at the factory isn’t worth the predicted sales based upon forecasts from deposits. Lots of people got model 3 and y due the delays in S/X (including myself) and cancelled their pre orders. But if a rhd was available with a known timeline, I’m sure the orders would pick up again to make the swap worth it.

Obviously a gap in the market now for RHD folk now

Merc EQS an option but as someone said earlier it’s maybe a tad doddery.
Audi E-tron A6…maybe but probably not if the Q8 E tron is anything to go by….and not out until ‘24, and probably running on same dodgy VAG software.
BMW i5 could be an option when it’s out. BMW EVs seem to be improving. I4 wasn’t far off the mark so maybe.

Not sure what alternatives there are to the X though.

Not sure what alternatives there are to the X though.

The Y is pretty close, but powered doors all round, the massive windscreen, 6 seater config with captains chairs.......not sure if there will be another mass produced car as over the top as the X again.

Elon has repeatedly called the X a 'mistake' by Tesla due to complexity of production, but once you are use to the mad functionality a Y just seem so dull - white goods transportation comes to mind, something EVs are always accused of being.

BMW iX would be my next car now it seems, its fugly but that's still better than dull.

Does anyone know if one can buy a S/X LHD as a business lease (or even lease)?
The option doesn't exist on Tesla's in-stock vehicles.
I have to assume this is because in general leasing companies avoid LHD leases as the car can be "stolen" when it crosses the channel, but I don't think this would be feasible with a Tesla.

I would want to drive this across Europe as well - specifically I spent half of the year in UK and half in Greece.

I discounted the previous model S p100d for not having door pockets (shocking imho lol)

Personally I hate door pockets. No doubt other people are more fastidious than me, but I find they are always full of junk and accumulating dirt at the bottom. Much prefer the central cavern to chuck all the cloths and other junk in, and then close the lid on it!

Reactions: Js1977
Different strokes. Junk in the boot along with pump, spare wipers, water and paper towels and overflow snacks etc. central storage for snacks and thermos.vthevdoir pockets were where I kept A-Z, large UK folded map and school atlas in case I was venturing abroad
Amsterdam? No problem.. Calais and turn left..

Reactions: Js1977
Personally I hate door pockets. No doubt other people are more fastidious than me, but I find they are always full of junk and accumulating dirt at the bottom. Much prefer the central cavern to chuck all the cloths and other junk in, and then close the lid on it!
Horses for courses and I Cant and should not argue someone else's preference. For me it's a place holder to put things between trips and less likely to leave behind because its more out of sight. It's bad enough when I put the phone on the wireless charger and leave it behind and that has happened quite a few times. Not so bad at home as need the card that lives in the phone case to get into the house but shocking when you go to the supermarket only to come back and realise the you left the car on a free for all for about an hour :eek: