Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Model S/X LHD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had a number of issues with mine including replacement of AC unit, squeaky suspension, issues with autopilot requiring camera replacement.

Off the top of my head, the issues I've had with my Model X post-warranty include:
  • Driver door no longer opening
  • Noise when turning the wheel, which turned out to be grit under the bash plate, although they charged me £1,200 to replace something else that didn't fix it
  • Heating failing, needing replacement
  • Steering becoming stiff (quoted £300 to fix, but sorted it myself with a jack and a boatload of WD40)
In-warranty issues included:
  • Horn not working
  • Turn signals not working
  • eMMC replacement
  • Falcon wing doors squeaking
  • Falcon wing doors wearing off the paint
  • Loose panels rattling when music is on
  • Keyfobs not identifying the correct user (never got fixed)

I'm a 2018 MS 100D owner since new, a MS Plaid order holder since Oct 2021, and a long term (since 2015) tsla investor. I love the company and the cars. Which makes this all the more disappointing, it's a kick in the teeth really. First thing I did after getting the tesla email (in a slight state of anger) was drive to my local Porsche dealer and I've got a Taycan Turbo S test drive booked. I wonder how many others will do this too. To be told repeatedly since 2021 the car is delayed but is coming and now this - without explanation - is very poor. I've just visited my local Tesla showroom too, and they said the issue is a mechanical (not electronic) design problem preventing RHD from being viable. Doesn't seem likely does it, but that's what they're saying to me. Elon or Drew or someone owes us an explanation, surely. 😔🤔😠

I'm a 2018 MS 100D owner since new, a MS Plaid order holder since Oct 2021, and a long term (since 2015) tsla investor. I love the company and the cars. Which makes this all the more disappointing, it's a kick in the teeth really. First thing I did after getting the tesla email (in a slight state of anger) was drive to my local Porsche dealer and I've got a Taycan Turbo S test drive booked. I wonder how many others will do this too. To be told repeatedly since 2021 the car is delayed but is coming and now this - without explanation - is very poor. I've just visited my local Tesla showroom too, and they said the issue is a mechanical (not electronic) design problem preventing RHD from being viable. Doesn't seem likely does it, but that's what they're saying to me. Elon or Drew or someone owes us an explanation, surely. 😔🤔😠
I’m with you with the anger. Problem is - I’d already driven a Turbo S (cross turismo) and came away underwhelmed. I’d re-consider now and accept the lower efficiency, space and tech for the better perceived quality and incrementally better drive - but the range is a killer for me.

I’ve got used to not having to charge during long drives - only overnight - with the Raven. Only the EQS offers that now but it feels a car for an octogenarian.

I’m going to hang on to the Raven and 3.9% apr investment for now and see what else tuns up.

The range of the Porsche is a killer but also its 800V architecture isn’t great either.

Find yourself on a 400v charger and you are stuck at 50kw unless you pay for the 150kw option and even then 150kw in a car with a huge battery and poor efficiency like the Porsche is ‘not great’.

Reactions: 12Pack
I just spoke to an advisor about my options for a LHD plaid and thought for a laugh Il get a trade in value for my model Y, 58k 13 months ago and now…….. 37k trade in 👀 I’ve always bought new or 6 months old but jeez that seems steep for 1 year. Think il end up sticking with it for now and see if some one else comes up with a good enough 6/7 seater package.

Interesting comments, particularly you being underwhelmed 12pack. My thought is I'll try the Taycan Turbo S saloon to see if I am 'blown away' by the handling and performance. If I am, and enough to make up for the comparatively poor charging, software and practicality, then I might buy one.
By the time you've spec'd it to be Tesla comparable-ish (Eg glass roof, insulated glass, heated steering wheel, top hifi audio, charging, folding mirrors (yes £231 for them!), the price is £166,512 (and you can spec way more), so considerably more than a Plaid. It had better be good!

I’m going to hang on to the Raven and 3.9% apr investment for now and see what else tuns up.
The only car on the horizon I can see being of interest is the Polestar 5. The Lotus Eletre might be an option but from what I've read is a bit of a lump. I've had a MS since 2017 and every year I've been intrigued to see what the market was going to offer as an alternative. Nothing ticks all the boxes as comprehensively as the MS so a real blow for that to no longer be an option :(

Reactions: 12Pack
I’m always picking up/dropping off international friends and family members from MAN airport which requires contactless payment on exit. Here’s where the 800 liters of MS storage space and big back seat come in handy as well. LHD is just not workable.

Nobody sitting in the front seat you could pass your card or phone to for the payment? Not ideal especially if the passengers are half-dead from jet lag I guess.

I’m with you with the anger. Problem is - I’d already driven a Turbo S (cross turismo) and came away underwhelmed. I’d re-consider now and accept the lower efficiency, space and tech for the better perceived quality and incrementally better drive - but the range is a killer for me.

I’ve got used to not having to charge during long drives - only overnight - with the Raven. Only the EQS offers that now but it feels a car for an octogenarian.

I’ve not driven a Turbo S and neither a Model S but we do have a Model Y and I genuinely like the tech e.g. autopilot, speed of UI, phone app control, and even handling. Most things work well, parking the windscreen wipers!

It appears that the 2024 Taycan is set to improve upon a bunch of things and that may include battery chemistry/configuration, so who knows, they may improve upon range. There is also a rumoured tri-motor to compete with the Plaid so I‘m really interested in that. Luckily Tesla continue to compete in Europe so the price for that may not be astronomical.

Anyone contemplating a new Taycan now shall probably end up with the refresh so I’ll also book a test drive.

Incidentally, if Tesla lower the Plaid base price below £100k I may be tempted, but as it stands no way am I willing to pay RHD prices for a LHD vehicle.

Tesla are truly taking the pi$$ and I expect LHD sales to fizzle out to nothing once the initial wave of sales are made.

Interesting comments, particularly you being underwhelmed 12pack. My thought is I'll try the Taycan Turbo S saloon to see if I am 'blown away' by the handling and performance. If I am, and enough to make up for the comparatively poor charging, software and practicality, then I might buy one.
By the time you've spec'd it to be Tesla comparable-ish (Eg glass roof, insulated glass, heated steering wheel, top hifi audio, charging, folding mirrors (yes £231 for them!), the price is £166,512 (and you can spec way more), so considerably more than a Plaid. It had better be good!
Keep in mind I’m coming from a MS Raven with the game changing adaptive suspension, quieter interior and 400 mile range which I thought was a good step up from my previous P100D :)

Even if the engineering argument were true, what does that say about Tesla? Either they can’t design a car that can have the steering column relocated (I find this incredibly hard to believe since they’ve managed up til now), or they knew it would never work but kept preorder customers in the dark, holding on to their deposits, for years. Neither is good really.

I think quite simply that in the current frenzied margin chasing epoch we find ourselves in Tesla simply decided they wouldn’t make sufficient profit from RHD sales, so binned it.

It remains to be seen what consequential effect it might have on their brand image to only have 2 mid-range models available to buy. I personally think the halo effect of the S/X has value beyond simply the bottom line.