Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, but CCTV (for example) greatly benefits from IR light, to the point where it is not a million miles off night vision. Reversing would massively benefit from it, I think, since the reverse lights aren't particularly bright. Admittedly it's not really needed up front (as the headlights would be on).

The side cameras would benefit from it too I think.. maybe we'd not see the "Cameras blocked or blinded" constantly driving down country roads?

That's why I presumed there must be a reason it hadn't been considered.

Reactions: H43lio
Yup, but CCTV (for example) greatly benefits from IR light, to the point where it is not a million miles off night vision. Reversing would massively benefit from it, I think, since the reverse lights aren't particularly bright. Admittedly it's not really needed up front (as the headlights would be on).

The side cameras would benefit from it too I think.. maybe we'd not see the "Cameras blocked or blinded" constantly driving down country roads?

That's why I presumed there must be a reason it hadn't been considered.
It certainly is entirely different to image intensifying night vision, it's just a light using a part of the spectrum you can't see in that the camera translates, it's not better than a light you can see.

At a stretch I could accept your suggestion that illuminating with IR rather than light to the sides of a car could be considered more acceptable, but I would suspect that many animals would be disturbed by the fast moving IR illumination. It wouldn't do anything to help when the sun is blinding a camera as that has loads of IR in it anyway.

well, there is a reason (probably) where animals wliving in bad visibility environments use ultrasound...
Animals living in bad visibility do not have LED headlights or taillights and then number of other lights in their environment.

Even cars with USS always used to draw squiggly lines and beeps actively from around 30-35 inches. Most of the time model 3 with USS always beeps especially when you turn the wheel and there is some obstruction close by. I am not sure what people without USS were thinking about model 3 with USS. Model 3 with USS always was/is much more conservative when measuring distances compared to my previous cars.

Animals living in bad visibility do not have LED headlights or taillights and then number of other lights in their environment.

Even cars with USS always used to draw squiggly lines and beeps actively from around 30-35 inches. Most of the time model 3 with USS always beeps especially when you turn the wheel and there is some obstruction close by. I am not sure what people without USS were thinking about model 3 with USS. Model 3 with USS always was/is much more conservative when measuring distances compared to my previous cars.
So no lights and yet have no problem in poor visibility environments...

So no lights and yet have no problem in poor visibility environments...
It is an evolutionary trade off where bats ancestors had small eyes and their aerial hawking of insects were limited because of vision - so bats used echolocation. The trade off still continues in species of bats among vision and sonar. Bats with large eyes - certain species in Amazon use vision for location.

Elon’s view was and is in evolutionary theory vision is always superior to sonar waves when conditions are taken into account. It is the anatomical limitations in vision/computing that led to a sonar rather than vision based solution in the beginning. He is moving towards vision based solutions. It is again thinking out of the box and probably his philosophy of vision based solutions for FSD. Tesla may not have the right solutions at this point - again you need to take into account the constraints in terms of tech and there is a trade off if you are an early adapter.

Last edited:
  • Funny
It is an evolutionary trade off where bats ancestors had small eyes and their aerial hawking of insects were limited because of vision - so bats used echolocation. The trade off still continues in species of bats among vision and sonar. Bats with large eyes - certain species in Amazon use vision for location.

Elon’s view was and is in evolutionary theory vision is always superior to sonar waves when conditions are taken into account. It is the anatomical limitations in vision/computing that led to a sonar rather than vision based solution in the beginning. He is moving towards vision based solutions.
well, so this does not make sense:

If in the situation where visibility is limited evolution took the path towards a sonar type system, so why do you think that Vision Only when cameras are quite crap when is dar and unusable when dirty (read - almost blind) is superior to the Sonar? Evolution proven differently - if you do not have super sharp eyes - then in all cases you trust sonar...

what you are saying is that someone (elon) thinks that evolution is wrong.

Either Elon is moron, either he misleadingly thinks that tesla's cameras are superior (hint - they are not) or evolution is wrong.

I wonder what is the case...

well, so this does not make sense:

If in the situation where visibility is limited evolution took the path towards a sonar type system, so why do you think that Vision Only when cameras are quite crap when is dar and unusable when dirty (read - almost blind) is superior to the Sonar? Evolution proven differently - if you do not have super sharp eyes - then in all cases you trust sonar...

what you are saying is that someone (elon) thinks that evolution is wrong.

Either Elon is moron, either he misleadingly thinks that tesla's cameras are superior (hint - they are not) or evolution is wrong.

I wonder what is the case...
There is no case here - it is a trade off between vision and sonar for bats. Human beings do not use sonar - we are in the highest order in evolutionary cycle. If you want you can use your sonar skills as they are fantastic in darkness.

Can you see where Elon is going with this, Tesla’s are in the highest order in car evolutionary chain, so they use vision based system like humans rather than sonar like bats.

Last edited:
There is no case here - it is a trade off between vision and sonar for bats. Human beings do not use sonar - we are in the highest order in evolutionary cycle. If you want you can use your sonar skills as they are fantastic in darkness.
but cars are blind. because cameras are blind. It is darkness per se.

what you get essentially is semi blind aid - you would have a great aid in sonar, but you chose to remove superior aid in order to use worse one.

very very strange logic... i might be tempted to fall it illogic, false or wrong...

Last edited:
...vision is always superior to sonar waves when conditions are taken into account.....
What utter nosense!

What if the condition is 'abject darkness'?

Take that into account and sonar trumps vision all-night, every night!

Going back to bats...they have evolved to very succesfully fill a niche.....hunting insects which are particularly active at night. Most creatures attempting to exploit this food source using vision alone will loose out to the bats (there are a few exceptions!)

Last edited:
Reactions: H43lio and yessuz
What utter nosense!

What if the condition is 'abject darkness'?

Take that into account and sonar trumps vision all-night, every night!

Going back to bats...they have evolved to very succesfully fill a niche.....hunting insects which are particularly active at night. Most creatures attempting to exploit this food source using vision alone will loose out to the bats (there are a few exceptions!)
I think it is the other way.
We are not bloody living in caves in utter darkness to use sonars to park a car. It is a bloody car and science has given us lots of other things to make a place brighter. Better get some lights.

• Funny