Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a bit too sensitive if so. Not great that it's unclear either way.

Don't know about this case, certainly overcautious at very least, but it seems to be behaving a exactly like ultrasonics, that is, its putting a virtual barrier up along some perimeter line - not that ultrasonics would have detected that hose, nor would passing over it have been a problem. But maybe camera vision could ultimately be more useful and differentiate between obstacles or abyss' of different heights?

I recently had to park close beside a ditch on edge of road. That road edge was every bit as useful to me as if it was a brick wall, or even a kerb. A tyres width off the road and I would have been down a ditch.

Tried it again in the rain today... Not as good.
I get multiple instances of 'park assist not available', but after a few cases, it does seem to be a very temporary thing, and the lines come back. It seems much less happy in the rain than in dry weather. In general, it does seem to work...but its super cautious. I drove right through barriers where it told me to stop multiple times.

I think this is further evidence that Tesla need a solution for self-cleaning cameras, hopefully as a drop-in replacement for the existing ones. They will never achieve FSD without a camera-cleaning option. Surely a little 'eyelid' style cover that could wipe them when they were detected to be grubby is not beyond the wit of man? they are already running power to each camera, and the power usage for a once-every-10-mins swipe would be trivial.

Eyelids are a mechanical point of failure, and an additional cost for Tesla. It seems to be the case that Tesla are striving to minimise costs (hence why these sensors disappeared 6 months before the software was ready), so I can't imagine them really overengineering anything at this point.

Tesla have a patent for “Pulsed laser cleaning of debris accumulated on glass articles in vehicles and photovoltaic assemblies.”

So removing wipers, zapping windshields and camera lenses with lasers. One day, perhaps.

Reactions: spdpsba
Tesla have a patent for “Pulsed laser cleaning of debris accumulated on glass articles in vehicles and photovoltaic assemblies.”

So removing wipers, zapping windshields and camera lenses with lasers. One day, perhaps.
I think they wanted to do that on the Cybertruck but unfortunately it did not work or still under development so they stuck a huge wiper blade on that thing!

Why would a windscreen wiper be required on a self driving vehicle? They will not have any windscreens when taken to their ultimate conclusion, eg pod style Robotaxi.
I dunno about that. Busses, planes and boats all have windows for the passengers when they don't need them. I'm not sure people will be keen to travel in self-driving wardrobes.

• Funny
Reactions: Drew57 and boombap
Windows are completely different from windscreens requiring windscreen wipers. Do any of your examples have windscreen wipers?
Sorry, I missed this question. No they don’t, not on the passenger windows, but notably the passenger windows are perpendicular to the wind flow, unlike the windscreen.

Car windows and the Tesla B pillar cameras don’t have wipers either, and they don’t get obscured by rain while in motion.

If your point is that self driving cars will have side windows but not a front window then that sounds like a rather odd design. Cars are small and will feel very boxy with no forward visibility. Seems like a big trade off to avoid having a wiper.

Reactions: H43lio
Eyelids are a mechanical point of failure, and an additional cost for Tesla. It seems to be the case that Tesla are striving to minimise costs (hence why these sensors disappeared 6 months before the software was ready), so I can't imagine them really overengineering anything at this point.
What Tesla want...and reality are different things. They already look absolutely clueless because they cant even replicate cheap USS with their amazing software. They are going to have to suck it up and realize us plain dumb humans have eyelids for a reason, and if they want to ship £70k cars without USS to save £100, they need to keep those darned cameras clean.

Reactions: H43lio and Zedbox

Highly sceptical of that patent ever becoming a product given the eye damage that can occur with lasers and the refractive properties of water droplets.

Reactions: Medved_77
If your point is that self driving cars will have side windows but not a front window then that sounds like a rather odd design. Cars are small and will feel very boxy with no forward visibility. Seems like a big trade off to avoid having a wiper.

A self driving car will require no windscreen wiper (for the windscreen). It might have a window at the front, but it will not require a windscreen wiper.

Company I worked for vehicle had windows all around, but not a windscreen wiper in sight. They were not needed, it had no driver.

Windscreen wipers are for humans to see. The only reason why Tesla has windscreen wiper for front cameras is because they are already there for the human driver. Take the driver out because its an autonomous vehicle, then no need for a windscreen wiper. Lots of other ways of having sensors that are not affected by climatic conditions than a windscreen wiper.

After a couple of days of using the TV version of park assist, it’s a pretty good start for something that is just camera based.

Is it as easy to trust as a USS equipped car, no, so far though, that’s mainly because it’s been a lot more nervous than my previous Model 3 parking front and back.

What I will say though, is the side cameras are a useful addition, I’d say they perform better than the USS in that small respect.

Today was a good test as I had to go to the office and reverse into the car lift, the USS car was a bit freaked out on the sides, none of that here, just some lines, but the rear camera was super nervous at the reflective glass at the back.

Good start, but room for improvement. Also wish it would initialise quicker, should start when the car wakes up, rather than then you put your foot on the brake.

IMG_1933.jpeg

This is the car lift if that helps set the scene, glass on the sides and back

Reactions: H43lio and SteveH13
Edge detection has been better at home on both occasions I have used the car today & the cameras consistently give the STOP alert at ~12".

In darkness it doesn't see the edge of the drive without side illumination so this would presumably be an issue in narrow unlit spaces at night.

IMG_5303-1.JPG
IMG_5304.JPG

Something I am also noticing on every rear screen view is that the camera on my car appears to be kinked very slightly to one side as the image does not show the symmetrical shape of the car properly, as in the examples below (& unlike the image from @DaveW above). If this is the case then it may have some bearing on relative distances to an otherwise parallel surface behind the car. This didn't matter for sentry or other camera recordings but may have a bearing for Tesla Vision?

Maybe it explains why the left hand image above shows a parallel rear edge but as can be seen by the 'curved' lines relative to my drive, the parked car is actually angled very slightly to the left.

IMG_5303-2.JPG

IMG_5304-1.JPG

IMG_5300-1.JPG

Last edited: