Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
its an A180.

Has huge plastic air vents and buttons everywhere.. on the wheel, stalks, dashboard, a horrid track pad thing between the seats, all very ugly, old fashioned and unintuitive.. its like going back to a blackberry after using an iPhone. I haven't even tried using the cruise control, too many buttons/complexity - not for me,
so you compare the A class (polo/clio) mec, which costs ~50% of Tesla price, with M3?! ok...

My Tesla is over two years old and zero rattles. Funnily enough I have owned a Qashqai previously, was not a patch on my Tesla, the Nissan software was also horrid and re-booted or failed multiple times. I remember it had a tiny screen with a facebook and eurosport app, which took ages to load, were slow and utterly pointless.
And my 9 month (years was typo / auto correct) vehicle rattles like hell. It has already been to SC 5 times in 9 months, 4 of these related to rattles and other interior issues. and it is booked for next visit in december (if I won't open my veins before that)

when car is worth 50k there should be rattles and build quality must be top notch!!!

I’d say this forum has had relatively balanced views over the 3 years I’ve been using it.

I had a deposit on a Y but there were a lot of negative views on here about handling and harsh ride which I confirmed on my test drive and so decided to stay with my 3. Very useful heads-up but I think I would have worked that out for myself anyway and so I’m surprised when people complain about things like that on here when test drives were so easy to book.

I often have to parallel park my car and would be really p!ssed off if the software stops using the USS before vision matches it’s ability. I don’t usually keep cars for more than 3 years and so never stop looking at reviews to find my next car but I am struggling to find a better option at the same price as the M3. The disadvantages and painful experience of the classic dealer network and maintenance schedules has a big weighting for me and allows me to accept issues with stuff like the wipers and AHB. If my car was rattling then maybe that might have sent me to go on some test drives but it’s holding up very well. I do need to replace the smelly air filter 🥴 but at least that’s a trivial cost.

Unless there is work currently underway on a replacement Model 3 and Model Y, I can see Tesla being left a generation behind. Macan E as an upper end competitor, revised Ioniq 5 at the mid point, and MG at the lower end - all of them with tech that is at least equal if not superior to Tesla. 800v architecture, vehicle to load, comparable / superior range - all of which points to Tesla feeling like it is older tech and no longer cutting edge.

But instead, we get this insane focus on Cybertruck (unusable in most of the world), FSD (similarly unusable) and 0-60 times that can't be used safely outside a dragstrip. Starting to feel like one of those tech startups in the early noughties - refreshing and new at the beginning and picked up by early adopters, but go bust quickly once the market overtakes them.
There is hope

Elon Musk says 'I have too much work on my plate'

• Funny
Reactions: DeejUK
I confirmed with Tesla today that my MYLR in white with back interior and 20” wheels and no tow bar has USS and was due to be delivered 12th Dec. The build date was 02/10/2022. I have just put my order on hold so that I don’t get that car. Would rather wait for one without USS and better cameras - hopefully this will help someone else out 👍

• Love
Reactions: GRiLLA
I asked today if my MYLR due 2nd Dec with a VIN of 560 has USS and got this reply…..

“Hi, The new vehicles that we have inbound do not have parking sensors. The car will use the cameras around the vehicle to aid with parking and other features. Thanks”

It’s going to be an interesting Q4

I confirmed with Tesla today that my MYLR in white with back interior and 20” wheels and no tow bar has USS and was due to be delivered 12th Dec. The build date was 02/10/2022. I have just put my order on hold so that I don’t get that car. Would rather wait for one without USS and better cameras - hopefully this will help someone else out 👍
Do you have more information on the non-USS card getting better cameras? I wasn’t aware this was the case.

Reactions: Bal83

I think you're mad!! :)

Even if these really are new 5mp cameras, it may well be their extra capability is never even used by HW3. Could be a change pre-empting HW4 for all we know.

I think you're mad!! :)

Even if these really are new 5mp cameras, it may well be their extra capability is never even used by HW3. Could be a change pre-empting HW4 for all we know.
You may be right 🫣
I wasn’t in a rush so thought I’d take my chance. My OCD would also go into over drive personally if they turned the USS functionality off next year and I had USS in the bumper - I know 🤪

For others my VIN was showing as 2023 P LRWYHCEK6PC544xxx

You may be right 🫣
I wasn’t in a rush so thought I’d take my chance. My OCD would also go into over drive personally if they turned the USS functionality off next year and I had USS in the bumper - I know 🤪

For others my VIN was showing as 2023 P LRWYHCEK6PC544xxx
So you had a 2023 model but with USS and no 5mp cameras.

Guess it’ll be like a gender reveal on the day I take collection 😂😂

• Funny
Reactions: Bal83 and Kokukenji
Every Tesla since (I think) 2016 has been sold with the promise that is has the necessary hardware for FSD. That wasn’t true, and cars with older hardware had to be upgraded to HW3. My understanding is that this upgrade was only given to those who paid for FSD.

If it turns out that HW3 and the current low resolution cameras are not sufficient to provide FSD, as is highly likely, then Tesla may offer a free upgrade, but presumably only for those who paid for FSD. They should offer a free upgrade to ALL post 2016 cars, otherwise they are in breach of their promise that all cars have the necessary hardware.

Reactions: Type2 and Artiste
Every Tesla since (I think) 2016 has been sold with the promise that is has the necessary hardware for FSD. That wasn’t true, and cars with older hardware had to be upgraded to HW3. My understanding is that this upgrade was only given to those who paid for FSD.

If it turns out that HW3 and the current low resolution cameras are not sufficient to provide FSD, as is highly likely, then Tesla may offer a free upgrade, but presumably only for those who paid for FSD. They should offer a free upgrade to ALL post 2016 cars, otherwise they are in breach of their promise that all cars have the necessary hardware.
Exactly. Doesn’t matter if it takes HW10 and the Muskovite admits defeat and realises that FSD can’t be achieved without Radar/LIDAR, ALL cars should be upgraded for free. For years if necessary. A promise is a promise.