Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's bullsh*t, and proof they don't really know what they're talking about. They've mixed up Tesla Vision disabling radar for Autopilot on 2022.24 with USS. There's no update disabling USS 'at this time', to quote Tesla's marketing crap.
If they do disable them without any replacement (and I wouldn’t put it past them), mine’s gone.

No one knows the significance of the new cameras. They could just be a new design, a different lens, etc.

People have just heard that 5MP cameras are due from Samsung at some point and have thought “might as well just assume that’s these ones”

Reactions: MrBadger
Datapoint - taking delivery of my M3LR around 14th Dec (ordered in April + matched to a VIN 8 days ago), the Tesla rep checked the vehicle spec and confirmed no USS are fitted.
Are you sure your car us nit coming with USS?
I ordered my car after you in May, with EDD Jan 2023, and when i checked i was told that mine build did have sensors.
I would have cancelled my order if it didn't have sensors, as the Mrs would have crashed it parking 🤣.

I really hope it has sensors or i wont be accepting my delivery.

Reactions: candida
My car (562XXX vin) does not come with USS

Just hoping for upgraded camera’s at least
This comment strikes me as quite sensible:
Also, it's pretty difficult to find a cheap high-volume 720p image sensor anymore. Perhaps this new 5MP camera isn't even an upgrade, it's just what's available today

So much of what Tesla does could equally be proactive or reactive. You'd think changes would be designed in months in advance, but realities of the market could well dictate otherwise, and we know how focused they are on meeting target. Unless there is a whole new set of hardware dealing with higher data rates and new NN's processing the higher res images, I find it hard to imagine they can just switch to 5mp images without a pretty big impact on the whole vision system.

In fact, thinking about it, I'm not even sure how a NN trained on a lower res feed could be relied on to work as expected if you switch to higher res.

Last edited: