Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD is just what the whole industry is doing, only Tesla is making a big thing of it as if they’re the only one likely to achieve it. They’re also the only one that charges tens of thousands of dollars for something that doesn’t exist.

They couldn’t build a luxury vehicle - too many features that they won’t pay to develop and too many quality materials that they do not wish to pay for. (Which then makes a Model Y Porsche money rather than Kia money, and who is going to pay that for a Tesla?)
Bravo. Very succinct summary of the bind Tesla finds itself in. Tesla can't go upmarket as it would get slaughtered by the likes of Daimler, Porsche, and a few niche marks like Lucid. Can't compete in the mid market, now that BMW, Audi and the other volume car makers who dominate that sector are getting their act together finally.

And with the fact that the Chinese seem to be in a fight with the Koreans over the lower end, noone will spare a glance for a six year old design that is £20,000 more expensive but offers not much more in the way of tech or ambience.

No wonder Tesla's share price is heading toward the industry average PE ratio.

I don’t agree with this interpretation. If Tesla wanted to make a conventional vehicle with the standard array of bells and whistles on top of their battery and motor tech, I can’t see that being that hard. That knowledge exists in the industry already, in abundance. They could just hire it in from any major manufacturer.

For its first decade, Tesla built vehicles in which you could lose your wallet in the panel gaps, and see bare metal through the "paint". Building a decent vehicle is hard - Hyundai have spent 20 years buying in talent and it is only now finally paying off. Tesla seem to have little desire for repeat customers, or should I say, discerning repeat customers...

Unfortunately they rely that most people will buy whatever crap they (not only tesla) put out since most cars out there are financed and its whatever best of the crap and best lease/pcp or whatever deal is best at the end of the agreement. For some its just a case of (as silly as it sounds) not being able to afford not to upgrade.

Chip shortage excuse is just a godsend to car makers.....what better excuse to charge the same or more and "give" less... and then when this excuse is no longer viable, you can just upgrade albeit go back to where you once were.
I presume you bought "just any old crap" otherwise I don't see how you cold make a valid comment.

I don’t agree with this interpretation. If Tesla wanted to make a conventional vehicle with the standard array of bells and whistles on top of their battery and motor tech, I can’t see that being that hard. That knowledge exists in the industry already, in abundance. They could just hire it in from any major manufacturer.

The additional USS/conventional rain detectors (assuming they’re available) etc wouldn’t even move the needle on the costs of building one of these cars.

Tesla (as directed by Musk) have other motives. Whether it’s deploying a robo taxi fleet on Earth in the belief that that will make the money from selling cars seem trivial, or whether the company is one giant vehicle for developing solar/battery tech and autonomous transportation for Musk’s proposed retirement home on Mars, who knows.

I do think it is more ambitious than just ‘sell a lot of EVs to make money’ though. Is current consumers are just the necessary source of income to keep the larger venture moving forward.
So you say you don’t agree with what I said. Then went on to agree with me.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Unfortunately they rely that most people will buy whatever crap they (not only tesla) put out since most cars out there are financed and its whatever best of the crap and best lease/pcp or whatever deal is best at the end of the agreement. For some its just a case of (as silly as it sounds) not being able to afford not to upgrade.

Chip shortage excuse is just a godsend to car makers.....what better excuse to charge the same or more and "give" less... and then when this excuse is no longer viable, you can just upgrade albeit go back to where you once were.

I presume you bought "just any old crap" otherwise I don't see how you cold make a valid comment.
"just any old crap"? where did you get that from?... It's just a comment and it's not about what was bought but how that is influencing such purchases. Its not hard to understand surely 🤔

How’s it different from Nikasil liners going bang in the 90s?
Whilst I am a strong advocate of the driver taking ultimate responsibility for controlling the vehicle, even I accept that keeping an eye on what is going on inside each cylinder, on each combustion cycle, and turing the engine off before the cylinder liner let's go is an unreasonable expectation.

On the other hand, keeping an eye on what the car is up to when auto parking and hitting the brakes if something bad is about to happen, is an basic responsibility of driving the car and Tesla expecting this seems perfectly reasonable to me.

It would of course be desirable for Tesla to refine (!) the self parking software to a point that the car is not inclined to destroy it's wheels when self parking on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danzr and Mullermn
USS is nothing to do with self parking though. the *vast* majority of owners will be manual parking, and for that they are obviously in full control at all times. The USS are useful (vital even) to provide feedback to the driver to help with safe parking.

Talking about auto parking and FSD is a distraction. If Tesla tries to say ‘we don’t need it with tesla vision’ or for auto parking then they’re distracting from the core issue also. And removing them before having software in place to do the job smacks of hubris. Do they already have test software that shows its possible? if not what happens if they find out they can’t - just let people use the poor rear visibility and rear camera and shrug your shoulders?

Are other manufacturers removing these sensors? Are they expensive or hard dto make - almost every car even the cheapest has at least rear ones these days. I find semiconductor shortages or cost arguments difficult to believe on that basis.

Reactions: H43lio and CWT3LR
USS is nothing to do with self parking though.
Apart from the fact that Tesla have removed Autopark from vehicles not fitted with USS
the *vast* majority of owners will be manual parking, and for that they are obviously in full control at all times. The USS are useful (vital even) to provide feedback to the driver to help with safe parking.
Goodness me! USS are not 'vital' to park a car safely!

I have safely parked my old Honda (which isn't fitted with USS) for the last 15 years. Numerous other people have posted similar 'achievements' in this thread!

Reactions: Danzr
Are other manufacturers removing these sensors? Are they expensive or hard dto make - almost every car even the cheapest has at least rear ones these days. I find semiconductor shortages or cost arguments difficult to believe on that basis.
Yes. Here's a quote from an Audi forum:

My S3 order is now back to week 47, unconfirmed, so that’s a year from order. It is most likely that the sound and comfort pack I ordered will feature reduced functionality. In short, no rear sensors, but I will keep the camera. Front sensors remain. That means no parking plus either, which I won’t use, but am paying for.

A friend of mine just received his e-tron - 14 months from order after multiple build dates pushed back, not specifically because of the parking sensors but just parts availability in general - Tesla aren't prepared to delay production, they would rather 'engineer' around the problem.

Welcome back.
7aXt0rq.gif