Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine that. Wild.
It's why Tesla - having had the EV game largely to itself for a couple of years and crapped all over its customers - will now find it impossible to compete in the low to mid market. With the hordes of Chinese manufacturers loading cars to the gunwhales with kit, at half the price of a Tesla, Tesla are going to have to decide whether to strip yet more kit out to compete, or try to become a "prestige" manufacturer.

My money is on losing stalks, losing USB sockets, losing driver lumbar (software says we don't use it...) losing rear vents etc. And Muskie can make out that the fanbois wanted a "minimalist interior experience". And your £60k car will soon feel like an early 1990s Skoda.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Goodness me! Speedometers are not vital to drive a care safely!

I still use the man waving the red flag. If he is in my rear view mirror, it means I am going faster than 4 mph!
Not sure this is the best thing you could have picked to make this point. Speedometers are required to help you drive legally, not safely. In fact the rules of the road are that you must drive at a speed that is within the limit AND safe for the conditions. If you drive 60mph on an iced up national limit road you'll be driving unsafely AND illegally and for the high jump if you have an accident, and your speedo isn't going to help you any.

Not sure this is the best thing you could have picked to make this point. Speedometers are required to help you drive legally, not safely. In fact the rules of the road are that you must drive at a speed that is within the limit AND safe for the conditions. If you drive 60mph on an iced up national limit road you'll be driving unsafely AND illegally and for the high jump if you have an accident, and your speedo isn't going to help you any.
Well, I'll just get my flag man Mellors to wear ice skates then.

And a speedometer is not a legal requirement on cars registered before 1977. Mellors will be in employment until his knees give out.

• Funny
Reactions: candida
  • ignores forums for several weeks
  • pops back on to see what's happening
  • this thread is still rumbling on
I expect this thread is amongst the strongest proof we have that the second law of thermodynamics is not inevitable. Long after the last red dwarves have fizzled out, and the last black holes have evaporated away, this thread will still be active without either side having convinced the other.

• ignores forums for several weeks
  • pops back on to see what's happening
  • this thread is still rumbling on
I expect this thread is amongst the strongest proof we have that the second law of thermodynamics is not inevitable. Long after the last red dwarves have fizzled out, and the last black holes have evaporated away, this thread will still be active without either side having convinced the other.
And shortly after that someone will ask "how will it see in front of the bonnet?"

I’ve been driving for thirty five. It’s difficult not to admit that cars have got more difficult to place. They’re bigger, glass area is smaller, pillars are much thicker (all for safety). Rear wipers are out of fashion for aerodynamic reasons. Tumblehome (the curve of the body) is greater for the same reason, making it difficult to see the wheels using the mirrors.
I think the 3 would be very difficult to park without sensors and the Y just about impossible.
I got a new Y and to my surprise no parking sensors…sucks. As you stated this car is to damn big not to have this feature

Reactions: candida and CWT3LR
Norway ´23 MYLR owner without USS here - I guess all we can do at this point is trust that Tesla will (at some point) deliver on a comparable or better park assist then what has been with ultrasonic sensors. Of course it is a massive annoyance to not have something even our old cars have, and I can only speculate to the whys and why nots all I want. The energy spent on it only impacts me, not Tesla. In the end I am a beta tester for everything Tesla - something which I must admit has mostly come to my advantage :)

Reactions: Mullermn
Some hope here maybe? This is the FSD but using Vision to show cars / parking space in a 360 space on the screen.

Screenshot 2022-12-28 at 18.31.05.png

Reactions: Ricecooker
Some hope here maybe? This is the FSD but using Vision to show cars / parking space in a 360 space on the screen.

View attachment 889624
I’ve seen that video but it doesn’t really qualify as a 360 view to me. The cars are generic, I’m not sure what the accuracy of distances are but even a few cm count when it’s your alloy against a curb. and what about posts, etc. I know USS don’t pick up curbs, but if they’re after a 360 view, it needs to be better than that.

The TV based function (if/when it arrives) should be far better at this since detecting kerbs is an essential function for self driving.
I’ve got some good news and some bad news for you. We already have vision based parking. Err, that’s both the bad news and the good news.

See the R Symons video where he tests the Tesla solution against the competition and it’s absolutely dismal.

Reactions: CWT3LR and MrBadger
I’ve seen that video but it doesn’t really qualify as a 360 view to me. The cars are generic, I’m not sure what the accuracy of distances are but even a few cm count when it’s your alloy against a curb. and what about posts, etc. I know USS don’t pick up curbs, but if they’re after a 360 view, it needs to be better than that.
I agree.

360 view needs to be a live feed of what’s around you at that moment.

Teslas don’t have the cameras located in the right places to do this, none of them see the ground directly below or around the car, so will have to rely on an “occupancy network” where it sees stuff as you’re driving towards it and remembers it. I’m unconvinced that this will be the panacea that others seem to believe it will be.

Reactions: CWT3LR
There is a lot hanging on whether Tesla successfully roll out an equally capable parking assistance solution based on TV in the first quarter of this year, I think.
Indeed. I for Instance will need to decide whether i want another Tesla or to stay married. Current wife plus car without effective parking sensors is not a combination that, based on previous experience. Is going to work out.