Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im not even convienced it'll come soon as I'm guessing they might not have been working on it upfront. Possible they had USS shipment issues then decided they might be able to do it with cameras so went that route.
I was told that all USS 'signposting' was removed from the Tesla UK website in April 2022 by Tesla Customer Abuse.

From this, I infer that they (should have) started working on the Vision based solutions ~10 months ago.

I was told that all USS 'signposting' was removed from the Tesla UK website in April 2022 by Tesla Customer Abuse.

From this, I infer that they (should have) started working on the Vision based solutions ~10 months ago.
Yup if you use WayBack machine you can see they updated the website around the middle of April 22 to remove any mention of parking sensors. My gripe is that this means they knew about the change but didn’t tell anyone placing orders of this technical change between April 22 and October 22 when they actually announced the change. As they knew of the change internally it’s really deceitful to purchasers that they didn’t highlight the change at point of order or prior to delivery. The only exception being if you placed an order prior to April 22 they asked you to accept the change. Very underhanded and deceitful practice on Teslas part.

• Informative
Reactions: H43lio and MikeeUK

Where is it they would even have been mentioned outside of the owners manual?
Which had definitely been updated by June 22 to sneak in the phrase "if equipped"
1675025080134.png

which was not there if Feb 22
1675025492544.png

Though the pictures of the sensors were not removed until much later
1675024695455.png

Reactions: MikeeUK
In that case you could if within 30 days of delivery probably reject on the basis that the car delivered to you is not the specification that you ordered. 🤷‍♂️
Yes, I could have (though Tesla Customer Abuse told me within 14 days).

Having handed back my company car and the need to travel 250 miles on a regular basis to visit a seriously ill parent this wasn't a practical option for me unfortunately.

Reactions: H43lio and CWT3LR
In that case you could if within 30 days of delivery probably reject on the basis that the car delivered to you is not the specification that you ordered. 🤷‍♂️

Presumably you have no idea on waiting times to find an alternative arrangement and that short notice change of plans is not a viable thing to do for many?

Wouldn’t it be better to let the customer know right at the beginning when Tesla knew there was a chance that the car may not be delivered as per order spec rather than leaving it to the point that the customer may have no alternative other than to take delivery or, in this case, reject after finding out the hard way?

Tesla's been putting Matrix headlights into their cars for a while, the even have a light show showing they can flash up Tesla onto a wall with them. Yet no matrix light functionality has arrived while driving. You'd think with all the cameras and their work on FSD that it would be pretty easy for them to identify cars and bend the matrix lights around them.

Point is I'm not expecting this to be resolved anytime soon.

Presumably you have no idea on waiting times to find an alternative arrangement and that short notice change of plans is not a viable thing to do for many?

Wouldn’t it be better to let the customer know right at the beginning when Tesla knew there was a chance that the car may not be delivered as per order spec rather than leaving it to the point that the customer may have no alternative other than to take delivery or, in this case, reject after finding out the hard way?
Yeah I agree and that’s what I said above, they had from April 22 to the middle of October to be informing people of the change and they didn’t.

No I don’t know about wait times, but there are always ways around these things with short notice. (Rental / Subscription / Stock cars etc..) but appreciate that some of them wouldnt work for some people.

I was just saying that if you were truly not happy with a none uss car and you ordered before April and didn’t get the notification to accept and were within your 30 days that you may still have options to explore.

Reactions: MrBadger
Tesla's been putting Matrix headlights into their cars for a while, the even have a light show showing they can flash up Tesla onto a wall with them. Yet no matrix light functionality has arrived while driving. You'd think with all the cameras and their work on FSD that it would be pretty easy for them to identify cars and bend the matrix lights around them.

Point is I'm not expecting this to be resolved anytime soon.
They arguably are under more pressure to get some kind of USS simulation working since it is a basic feature that pretty much everyone is used to and demands (particularly at this price point), whereas matrix headlight functionality is an “advanced” feature that people can live without (even if it’s also a pretty ridiculous omission given the price point).

Because I’m eternally cynical I’m expecting that they’ll get something working with cameras, which will even reproduce the beeps and the lines that traditional USS did, all of the usual suspects pro-Tesla websites will report “USS is back! Tesla delivers!” uncritically, and the actual experience of using it will be unreliable but will be white noise that no one really listens to, or gets any traction. You’ll even get some owners, zealots and secret TSLA shareholders saying “It works ok for me must be something wrong with your car”, diminishing the experiences people have, like what happens with other stuff like phantom braking, auto wipers being crap, etc

Because I’m eternally cynical I’m expecting that…

Your summary is spot on.

I think it’s the realist rather than cynic in you. For me it’s the pessimist in me that thinks exactly the same - an optimist (borderline former fanboy) with experience. Thankfully with no direct financial interest, I didn’t become an apologist.

I was just saying that if you were truly not happy with a none uss car and you ordered before April and didn’t get the notification to accept and were within your 30 days that you may still have options to explore.
I'm actually rather more 'truly not happy' with Tesla's handling of this whole fiasco, and in particular its treatment of customers, than the actual removal of USS functionality per se.

I also fondly imagined that when Tesla finally deigned to speak to me and told me that the functionality previously supplied via USS would be restored 'soon' they meant a week or three (I know, I know... naive in the extreme!)

I'm actually rather more 'truly not happy' with Tesla's handling of this whole fiasco, and in particular its treatment of customers, than the actual removal of USS functionality per se.

I also fondly imagined that when Tesla finally deigned to speak to me and told me that the functionality previously supplied via USS would be restored 'soon' they meant a week or three (I know, I know... naive in the extreme!)
100% with you on this - It was even more of a kick in the teeth losing £5k after 3 weeks of ownership. I am still waiting on response to my request to reject. Their customer service is just terrible.

Reactions: Danny_F and Whyone
USS is not the same as RADAR. Unplugging RADAR has nothing to do with USS.
Right, he was doing that because people complained and said that even though all the USS were unplugged that it was just falling back to using radar. In that video you can clearly see that the bumper harness, where the USS connect, is disconnected, as well as the radar.

I would like to see better/more video of what is happening, but it is interesting.

Last edited: