Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elsewhere he shows that he’s running 2022.28.2, which is pretty old, and was released over a month before Tesla even announced that USS were being removed.

I’m not particularly surprised that a safety critical system fails safe when unplugged, and as a precaution “remembers” what it last saw.

Pretty unscientific testing, with a tester who is motivated to find a preferential result (for social clout), etc. I’m not buying it I’m afraid.

Elsewhere he shows that he’s running 2022.28.2, which is pretty old, and was released over a month before Tesla even announced that USS were being removed.

I’m not particularly surprised that a safety critical system fails safe when unplugged, and as a precaution “remembers” what it last saw.

Pretty unscientific testing, with a tester who is motivated to find a preferential result (for social clout), etc. I’m not buying it I’m afraid.
another question: when in garage and car shows "stop" with removed bumper:
a) Distance is like half a meter before the wall - why it shows that obstacle is inch away?
b) What obstacle car sees in front?
c) How the hell it sees anything if bumper is so below the bonnet?

I’ve often seen when driving a flicker like a parking sensor alarm, but too far away from something to be the parking sensor themselves and must be camera based. Stuff like a hedge a few meters to the side of the road. But that’s not a parking aid, it’s just the side collision sensing type stuff. I’ve not watched the video, maybe I should but I’m not going to support what’s almost certainly fake news, and it’s clear that those with USSless cars don’t get anything resembling parking sensor functionality.

I’ve often seen when driving a flicker like a parking sensor alarm, but too far away from something to be the parking sensor themselves and must be camera based. Stuff like a hedge a few meters to the side of the road. But that’s not a parking aid, it’s just the side collision sensing type stuff. I’ve not watched the video, maybe I should but I’m not going to support what’s almost certainly fake news, and it’s clear that those with USSless cars don’t get anything resembling parking sensor functionality.

I've watched two videos of his on this. Dunno if there are more. But in the first one he was outside and approaching other cars and getting park distance readings that appeared fairly accurate counting down to 12" then 'STOP'. All with the bumper removed. He then covered cameras and it stopped detecting. I guess people commented maybe it was his radar being used, so he disconnected that but only showed minimal testing of that in the second video just moving a few inches back and forth inside his garage which again seemed to alter the detected distance in line with the car moving.

So definitely seems to be something going on. Perhaps Notateslaapp's take on it in their article is correct - that some USS replacement code is running on USS equipped cars to gather data correlating the vision code with actual USS, and has been for some time? It's definitely interesting and I wouldn't wave it off as fake news quite yet. Keeping an open mind. I mean shouldn't be a surprise - this is what they say they are working on, and this is certainly how they might go about it. Tempted to take off my bumpers and see for myself.

I'm pretty sure that if Tesla had vision based distance measurement working as well as that video in 28.2, they'd have released it as 'beta' already. There's basically no reason not to.. it's not like they've shied away from releasing unfinished stuff before.

I don't believe that video for a microsecond.
Tesla releasing software to a rando, who just happens to remove the wiring to the USS and radar "just because.."?

Actually, as you were......