Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick 2p worth having just downloaded the update and done some quick testing in the rain. To be fair, actually quite good - I tried reversing and forward parking in the driveway and up against my wife's car. Decent and within a few inches of the screen readout. OK these were very rough and ready checks in decent lighting (albeit raining) but better than I expected. Not sure about the wavy lines but I guess you'd get used to those.

Is it consistent? Too early to tell. Will it work when the cams are dirty? Too early to tell (probably not). But a reasonable start at least for me. Oh and it was definitely picking up kerbs.

The real argument is whether it will be as good as or better than USS i.e. what the Tesla sales rep promised me when I purchased and which I documented with an email shortly afterwards. If it isn't then I'll seek recourse, but at this point, I'm mildly encouraged. Ask me again in a week or so. Dismal that they didn't have a solution when they elected to remove USS but I'm prepared to see how it goes for a few weeks before throwing the toys out :)

Reactions: Redbaron73
Oh and it was definitely picking up kerbs.
As an owner with USS, I'm really interested in how vision handles kerbs when parallel parking.

The law states you must park within 50cm (19.7 inches) from the kerb, does the guidance on the screen give you any indication of how close/far to the kerb you are? At what point does it stay stop... don't go any further to the left/right?

As an owner with USS, I'm really interested in how vision handles kerbs when parallel parking.

The law states you must park within 50cm (19.7 inches) from the kerb, does the guidance on the screen give you any indication of how close/far to the kerb you are? At what point does it stay stop... don't go any further to the left/right?
Sorry, I need to do some more work with kerbs. As an initial quick check I was most interested to see how it performed reversing and parking forwards. However I did see it definitely picking up kerbs during my manouvering. To be honest, I find parking close to a kerb reasonably straightforward using the mirrors - you can see well enough I find, particularly when they angle down. I suspect I'll be using a combo of mirrors and the cameras for anything tricky e.g. tight parallel parking with kerbs in play.

I think my next check will be in the dark; it's poor out of the back window (Y) visually so it will be interesting to see how the camera manages.

Reactions: Medved_77
I've done a few more tests. By no means exhaustive but so far I would say reversing is pretty good. No surprises for me given the camera is probably in an ideal location at the back.

Out of the front it's being inconsistent. Earlier I pulled up to a fence and it said I was 24 inches away and I got out to look and it was no more than 8 inches. I pulled up to same fence just now and it was saying I was 15 inches away and it was around 24 in reality. Saw something similar at the local supermarket where it was telling me to stop and the red line was displayed on the front of the car and it was a good 18 inches away from where it needed to be (without hitting the post that was there) and the back end of the car was sticking out the space. Not disastrously so but could have been better.

I'm guessing we shouldn't rely on the measurements but the lines and beeps are as inconsistent out the front.

I hope my experience has just been unlucky or at least improvements come quickly. Because currently I don't feel I can trust the messages for the front.

Not tested in dark only in daylight

Also, haven't seen the loading message. It seemed to be available as soon as I was ready to go.

Reactions: Whyone
Found it annoying when in traffic. You anticipate the movement of traffic and soon as you move forward, it screams STOP before realising the car in front has actually moved forward. Guess that's the lag of not being able to see the entire car move forward due to the angle of the front camera.

Reactions: liamth91
Found it annoying when in traffic. You anticipate the movement of traffic and soon as you move forward, it screams STOP before realising the car in front has actually moved forward. Guess that's the lag of not being able to see the entire car move forward due to the angle of the front camera.

USS cars occasionally do that. If you pull up behind a car that has just started pulling away you still get the stop warning. Seems to be a bit of a latency between what car thinks is happening now and what happened 1/2 a second before.

You soon get use to false alarms. Thankfully only occasional (but consistent in the circumstances), at least with USS.

Reactions: linkinruss
Initial thoughts: A welcomed update which needs work.

Been driving most of the day in the rain and reversing with rear camera "measurements" is a lot better than the front ones.

I imagine with AI and Neuralink network itll get better, quickly.

The bings and bongs are a little annoying, even in Joe Mode.

As ever, youll get the usual suspects who just love to moan and say "I told you so"
USS has its pro's and con's, so will TV.

Ill be patient with it and see what the new updates bring.

Been driving most of the day in the rain and reversing with rear camera "measurements" is a lot better than the front ones.

As ever, youll get the usual suspects who just love to moan and say "I told you so"

it will be even better with single stack, blockchain and crypto

what cons of USS?

• Disagree
Reactions: Redbaron73
Just watched rsymons - TV was woeful and i certainly would not trust it. The visualisations were bizarre
Kind of feel the same. It's the inconsistency that makes me not trust it. If it was consistently over cautious I could learn how much further I could go before needing to stop. Or if it was consistently under cautious I would learn to stop before it told me to. I want to test more, but initial impressions are that I want to see this updated pretty quickly.

Oh. And Mrs. McChimp who is unencumbered by brand loyalty or techy geekiness gave her verdict after taking the car out and parking in the local town.

"Cr*p"

Was her succinct appraisal when I asked her opinion.

I would like to see more scenarios where a USS equipped car is compared to the new TV cars. Because my experience of cars with USS suggests this does not have performance parity. But my experience is not with Tesla's.

However. The fact it seems to detect kerbs pretty well is a plus. Especially as Mrs. McChimp and I have a bet on as to who will kerb the alloys first. So at least this update will help prevent the alloy damage we have been expecting 😆

Very much agree with this post, I was really waiting on this update (just because I like a gadget), IMO its better than nothing with the help of cameras and a persons eyesight. It will improve over time.

Just on to the next wait as in Auto Park, Summon and Smart Summon. I can't see these being released until Park assist is more reliable.

Err - this is junk. Embarrassing junk. Maybe i'm just annoyed after such a long wait and need to be patient for improvements (although - why should i for a basic feature?). Got the update yesterday morning and did lots of town driving.

It was wet yesterday, really wet. A lot a traffic about and this damn thing made the whole experience appalling by blinging and bonging at every movement in slow traffic. Roundabouts, traffic lights. Doesn't matter if i am going the same pace as the car in front or i have stopped. I got a loud 'bong' and STOP message. Sometimes, if the car in front pulls away and i am stationary the wiggly line goes through the image of my car and and i get the stop message. I am not parking and i have stopped!

Then, i get to a car park in town. There is one tight spot available. At last i think, a chance to get the benefit from this rather annoying journey. Then i see the magic message 'Parking assist not available'.

Pathetic. My 2004 Mazda 3 was able to get this right.

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR and H43lio