Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This post is really interesting. I also have the 1072923 battery pack. Originally the car was delivered as a 70D back in July 2016 fully charged with 240Mile range reading on the instrument gauge. I asked my SC to upgrade the car to 75D. After fully charging the car again, it had no change in range what so evero_O. It still read 240miles...I was expecting 259 or some kind of increase. The SC has fobbed me off for 3 years with various excuses and now are saying they don't keep records that long and after testing the car, saying it is within an acceptable range. To top it off the uncorking was also a no :(

I really do believe there something definately wrong with this 1072923 battery pack sadly.

Did you ever get anywhere with your service centre with regards to below average range or uncorking?

Did you pay for the range increase? I would get your money back if you did. That's an easy argument.

I really do believe there something definately wrong with this 1072923 battery pack sadly.

Did you ever get anywhere with your service centre with regards to below average range or uncorking?
No. I accept that it can't be uncorked. It wasn't something I expect when I bought it in early 2016. I am disappointed with the range degradation. I'm down to 229 miles at 100% with 38.3k miles on the odometer.
Everything else about the car has gotten better. I'm pretty sure total supercharging time is less now on trips even though the peak rate is slightly lower.

I believe the older 70D’s from 2015 with the nose cone have the 70 battery that can’t be unlocked to 75. The newer 70D’s from 2016 with the new face lifted front end have the 75 battery that can be unlocked.
I have a 2016 made in April 2916 with the refreshed front and it cannot be uncorked! I believe the change came in July from what I remember. Think on the bright side, less wear and tear on tires and less wear on the CV joints.

Question on the topic. I'm hunting for a used S and I'm looking at a facelift 2016 60D. Is there a way to be absolutely sure I will be able to unlock to 75 and get in uncorked, before making the purchase? Also, if yes on both, what are the current costs for these?

Initial info from a quick email to a sales rep was a vague and incomplete answer that "all facelift 60D can be unlocked to 75" but he didn't answer anything on the uncorking.

I know the build date may be relevant but from the VIN all I can get is that it was sold/titled late in 2016 (nov). I can't find the build month.

Don't know how battery degradation affects software locked battery packs. I would not spend money to unlock if the capacity if you plan on charging the car every day @ home/office or the way tesla says "Plugged in tesla is a happy Tesla"

Not range got me researching on this. Only reason I'd pay to have a 60D unlocked to 75 is to get the max performance available, those 4.something seconds 0-60.

well, except that they can’t be charged to 100% and usually get charged to lower SoC. Both of which are better for the pack’s long term health. So it’s likely that they degrade (slightly) slower than most 75 packs.

Perhaps, though that’s so specific to particular use scenarios that I think it would be hard to draw any conclusions.

What I meant was a software locked battery degrades just like a regular battery, insofar as if the real battery has degraded by 3%, the software locked portion (and associated rated miles) degrades by the same 3%. Some people think the software lock is to a particular amount of rated miles, and that will hide any actual degradation of the battery, but that’s most definitely not true.

I’ve seen no evidence to suggest it has changed from the long-standing upgrade price of $2k US.

Ok, that's not too bad. If I do end up getting a 60, I'll just drive it home and put the shipping budget to the batt unlock. Wonder if I can get them to do this by delivery... surely I could use all the extra range on a big roadtrip.

a software locked battery degrades just like a regular battery, i

If I was buying a 2nd hand car, a car that was software-limited and not (yet) unlocked would give me the reassurance that it had never been charged to 100% and left sitting like that.

Might have been sat at 1% though of course ...

Wonder if I can get them to do this by delivery... surely I could use all the extra range on a big roadtrip.

I would expect "flash credit card" and car will have it OTA in fairly short order - might well be "instant"