Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTH, took my car in to SC to get uncorked.
Its a 75D that I took delivery before July 1.

Manager said I have all the hardware for it but they need authorization from corporate.

Apparently corporate only allows cars after July 1st to get the upgraded speed. It's BS ,
Tesla's marketing has been a car that gets better as it ages because of the software changes but they won't do this on hardware equipt cars? Tesla sure did it for the inventory cars that were built the same month as mine . So frustrating!!

Reactions: OBX John and Swift
Pardon my ignorance, but what changes when the 75 gets "uncorked?" Does it gain more range? more power? I had not heard about this...
It increases performance of the non-performance vehicles:
  • Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
  • Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds
  • Model X 100D: 4.7 seconds down from 5.2 seconds

It's a bit controversial because Tesla is refusing the upgrade vehicles after a hard set delivery date although a lot more cars are capable hardware-wise. Some folks were rushed delivery at the end of the quarter and barely missed the cutoff point. And they're also taking old CPO vehicles and giving them "uncorking" which makes me wonder if my '14 RWD S is capable of such numbers...

Last edited:
As far as we all know, all 75Ds have the hardware to be uncorked. Its only the 75s that need the new DU. Tesla wants new car sales. Once you're an existing customer, get used to being second class. Its not like Tesla does nothing but what they do give you isn't the same (i.e. homelink flexibility and camping mode are great and all but its not the same as dropping a second off 0 to 60.

Reactions: Swift and Bebop
It increases performance of the non-performance vehicles:
  • Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
  • Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds
  • Model X 100D: 4.7 seconds down from 5.2 seconds

It's a bit controversial because Tesla is refusing the upgrade vehicles after a hard set delivery date although a lot more cars are capable hardware-wise. Some folks were rushed delivery at the end of the quarter and barely missed the cutoff point. And they're also taking old CPO vehicles and giving them "uncorking" which makes me wonder if my '14 RWD S is capable of such numbers...

That is helpful, thanks!
How did this become known? I see nothing about it in the Tesla store. Was it a "secret upgrade" offered to certain people, or something? It does not apply to my 70D, apparently, but somehow I missed hearing about this as an option (if that is what it is...)

That is helpful, thanks!
How did this become known? I see nothing about it in the Tesla store. Was it a "secret upgrade" offered to certain people, or something? It does not apply to my 70D, apparently, but somehow I missed hearing about this as an option (if that is what it is...)

In July, Tesla updated its design studio which showed new performance numbers for base model vehicles and to add the fold-flat 7-seat MX interior option. So new cars currently have increased performance, and it was speculated that the change was to differentiate the Model S from the Model 3 (to justify the "premium-ness" of the S).

Then people began figuring out that current cars could be uncorked, and it wasn't a hardware change...

Here's the article about the rollout of new performance upgrades to the S & X

When Model S was first introduced, the RWD P85 version had a 0-60 of 4.2 seconds. I wonder if the difference between the P85 and the regular S85 RWD vehicles was just a software lock to limit performance. If so, it would make sense that Tesla wouldn't uncork the old RWD vehicles since it would piss off the old P85 customers that paid extra for the performance bump.

Last edited:
Let me tell you a story...

I guy I know uncorked his car manually (yes, you can do it), verified it works, and then Tesla logged into his car and corked it back. So the guy, being a persistent person reuncorked the car. And now Tesla called him and warned him that they'd void his battery warranty if he keeps doing that.

I'd like to try that out for a couple days

I'd like my one warning too

Uhh... I thought I was pretty sure that it had nothing to do with a software lock. My understanding is that it's a whole new electric motor that's enabling those new performance numbers

That was #fakenews.

It turns out that even those without the new drive unit have been able to get their cars uncorked. I think you actually need the new hardware for a older 75. But an older 75D it’s just a software thing. Hence a bunch of people getting angry and rightfully so.

Reactions: Swift
Let me tell you a story...

I guy I know uncorked his car manually (yes, you can do it), verified it works, and then Tesla logged into his car and corked it back. So the guy, being a persistent person reuncorked the car. And now Tesla called him and warned him that they'd void his battery warranty if he keeps doing that.

Which makes you wonder if they some change to the car that affects how uncorking impacts battery reliability. I mean, why would they threaten the battery warranty in particular? Why not the motor warranty or the overall vehicle warranty?

Which makes you wonder if they some change to the car that affects how uncorking impacts battery reliability. I mean, why would they threaten the battery warranty in particular? Why not the motor warranty or the overall vehicle warranty?
I have no idea. Esp. since somehow newer car with same parts are ok. And even these same cars that went through CPO process are ok too.
Also keep in mind that Tesla battery warranty is mostly a joke, they don't cover battery degradation at all, no matter how fast it is.

• Love
Reactions: Swift and croman

wk057 has confirmed the battery is more than capable of even more amps. Tesla also is doing this for their own CPOs, so clearly they can't be that concerned as long as they are making their money.

As far as we all know, all 75Ds have the hardware to be uncorked. Its only the 75s that need the new DU. Tesla wants new car sales. Once you're an existing customer, get used to being second class. Its not like Tesla does nothing but what they do give you isn't the same (i.e. homelink flexibility and camping mode are great and all but its not the same as dropping a second off 0 to 60.
Yea it’s kind of like cable/Internet service providers where the best promos are only offered to new customers. Old customers are stuck with more expensive plans.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but this “pre-July 2017 uncorkable” thing feels like an urban legend. I’m sure cars delivered late June 2017 probably have the identical HW as those delivered July and later, but what is the source indicating cars built much earlier are “uncorkable”?