Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with moderation and personal attacks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The inside access and info Tesla gives this site and some of the obviously well connected members on here is nice but also leads to the inherent flaw on here. The lack of separation from TMC.com and Tesla the company. The claim of "not affiliated with Tesla Motors, Inc" I don’t really believe to be true. That sets the tone for moderation on here IMO.

None of the moderators are paid by Tesla (or at all), work for Tesla or have any official capacity with Tesla.

I saw this today... figured I'd drop this in here.

12002319_10150559924659950_3214328714444092620_n.jpg

There seem to be quite a few people defending wk057's behaviour in this thread, maybe because people do not bother to speak up.

My experience in one encounter with wk057 was that his response to my post was disrespectful and condescending. There were no more encounters, as after seeing his similar condescending exchanges with other posters, my response to such tone is - no more exchanges with this individual, stay away.

I also dislike that one individual takes up so much oxygen on this forum and here I am contributing to it. In this case I find it valuable to expend some oxygen to support Canuck's view as he seems to be outnumbered here.

Of course, but the forums I've frequented in he past have had a much higher level of tolerance for this kind of behavior. Thus the comment about cultural differences since those forums where all based in Norway;)

I've had a few of my posts reported because I pointed out that someone was wrong. We're not talking opinions, we're talking wrong on facts. I suppose you can consider it an opinion that 2+2=5, but the rest of the world may view you in a different light, or may choose to group you into a special category. Pointing out the fact that 2+2 does not equal 5 is not condescending, it's explaining the facts - and I think sometimes the "shiny happy people" mentality is favored over the truth by some posters.

(Note no mod action was taken but I was asked kindly to be more friendly to people who say that 2+2=5.)

- - - Updated - - -

The inside access and info Tesla gives this site and some of the obviously well connected members on here is nice but also leads to the inherent flaw on here. The lack of separation from TMC.com and Tesla the company. The claim of "not affiliated with Tesla Motors, Inc" I don’t really believe to be true. That sets the tone for moderation on here IMO.

Tesla doesn't give any inside access to TMC or members based upon their posting on TMC. If anything, Tesla is more cautious about members of TMC.

I saw this today... figured I'd drop this in here.

View attachment 95383

I bet people who offend or attack other people would love for all people to be like this fictional "Tim" so they can keep offending or attacking other people without having to face any consequences for their actions... :rolleyes:

The expectation that people who are attacked or unfair accusations lobbed against them should just deal with it, be quiet, and move on is why I created this thread as that notion is wrong and unacceptable, especially when people who are attacked don't have the option to stand up for themselves due to unfair moderation.

My take on this matter is people who are unfairly attacked should speak up so that it does not become the norm and it will help others being treated more fairly in the future.

No, we're not asking people to "deal with it". Far from it. We're simply asking that people not escalate the mess by responding in kind.

Take the high road. Stay polite and factual. If you find a post offensive, report it to us. If we agree it's rude or offensive, we will as a minimum move it to snippiness. If there is a pattern of behavior then greater sanctions may be imposed.

Please be aware that it's hard to disentangle the threads. If you quote someone who says something snippy, your post may be moved to snippiness simply because it contains that quote.

No, we're not asking people to "deal with it". Far from it. We're simply asking that people not escalate the mess by responding in kind.

Take the high road. Stay polite and factual. If you find a post offensive, report it to us. If we agree it's rude or offensive, we will as a minimum move it to snippiness. If there is a pattern of behavior then greater sanctions may be imposed.

Please be aware that it's hard to disentangle the threads. If you quote someone who says something snippy, your post may be moved to snippiness simply because it contains that quote.

Thank you for clarifying this. I saw your earlier comment about that and I think it makes a lot of sense.

In my case what I should have done was "report" the offensive post and let you all take care of it. I guess I am not used to online forums being this well managed and moderated :) Most other online forums I frequent, the Tesla Motors official forum included, you are pretty much on your own and that's what I'm used to so if I'm unreasonably attacked I would say something back, but still in a respectful way, but I think this is where things go to Snippyland and get complicated.

So almost after about a year of using this forum I think I am starting to understand how things are supposed to work here... :tongue:

Basically don't engage people who are unreasonably offensive or attack you. Report them and let the moderators take care of things. Easy enough.

I've had a few of my posts reported because I pointed out that someone was wrong. We're not talking opinions, we're talking wrong on facts. I suppose you can consider it an opinion that 2+2=5, but the rest of the world may view you in a different light, or may choose to group you into a special category. Pointing out the fact that 2+2 does not equal 5 is not condescending, it's explaining the facts - and I think sometimes the "shiny happy people" mentality is favored over the truth by some posters.

(Note no mod action was taken but I was asked kindly to be more friendly to people who say that 2+2=5.)

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla doesn't give any inside access to TMC or members based upon their posting on TMC. If anything, Tesla is more cautious about members of TMC.

Edit: FlasherZ, my comments below do not refer to you being moderated as I am not familiar with your posting style. My comments below are general in nature and I made them to further discuss the comments in your post on being right and factual vs being wrong.

I'd like to think that the tone of the post trumps contents. If the tone is disrespectful, that sets the exchange to fail and the contents are less likely to be considered.

When we are 100% sure that the facts are on our side and we are the knowledgeable one, it is even more important to pause and pay attention to the tone of the post. The less knowledgeable one has to deal with the unpleasant fact of being either wrong or less informed, so it would be more effective and nice to make it easier for the receivers to recover from such position by staying respectful and not rubbing it in.

It is extremely frustrating to deal with ignorance. It is easy to lose it. However losing it with someone who is not our peer in knowledge might be on the same level as losing it with a child.

Last edited:
I will make an assumption, and presume most moderators are reading this thread with interest. The fact that Ms. Electric's request to have the thread title changed back to something more accurate of her concerns, or at least use proper capitalization has not been done speaks for itself.

If per chance a defence of this is ..well it was merged with another thread, I would argue that also speaks volumes.

I will make an assumption, and presume most moderators are reading this thread with interest. The fact that Ms. Electric's request to have the thread title changed back to something more accurate of her concerns, or at least use proper capitalization has not been done speaks for itself.

If per chance a defence of this is ..well it was merged with another thread, I would argue that also speaks volumes.

Most moderators can't edit anything in this subforum. Did she report her concern for a thread title change or contact the site using the contact us link?

This sounds like a bit of a criticism of the mods, and one that I'm not sure is at all appropriate. I think it is completely within the mods' discretion to change thread titles and merge threads as necessary. An OP having started a thread doesn't necessarily mean they should be able to dictate for all time what the thread title should be. If the mods have a good reason to merge threads and /or change a thread title, I think that is absolutely fine. I definitely don't think that is a power that in any way has been abused.

Why in the world was the wk057 thread merged into the MsElectric thread???

Just crazy - they're completely different topics and no explanation was given at all.

And as I predicted, the moderation of the original thread here is far from optimal and only further alienates MsElectric as seen in her recent post in this thread several pages up.

Normally I am a big fan of the moderators on TMC and as moderator on MNL I model my own moderation after the style of moderation here, but moderation of this thread is just messed up.

And as I predicted, the moderation of the original thread here is far from optimal and only further alienates MsElectric as seen in her recent post in this thread several pages up.

Seems like MsElectric is good with the outcome. Her reply up thread to a moderator:

Thank you for clarifying this. I saw your earlier comment about that and I think it makes a lot of sense.

In my case what I should have done was "report" the offensive post and let you all take care of it. I guess I am not used to online forums being this well managed and moderated :) Most other online forums I frequent, the Tesla Motors official forum included, you are pretty much on your own and that's what I'm used to so if I'm unreasonably attacked I would say something back, but still in a respectful way, but I think this is where things go to Snippyland and get complicated.

So almost after about a year of using this forum I think I am starting to understand how things are supposed to work here... :tongue:

Basically don't engage people who are unreasonably offensive or attack you. Report them and let the moderators take care of things. Easy enough.

How many concurrent moderation threads does the forum need?
If that's the logic, one might as well merge all the moderation threads on the forum into one massive thread.

Seems like MsElectric is good with the outcome. Her reply up thread to a moderator:
Not initially.

The point of the thread was not that I was just unhappy with moderation, as the altered thread title suggests, but the fact that I was unhappy with being personally attacked and subject to arbitrary moderation on top of that which made the situation worse.

May suggest the alternate thread title "Unhappy with moderation and personal attacks?" I suppose that is less click-baity while still conveying what I was trying to communicate. At the least it would be nice if the new name bestowed on this thread by a moderator can be properly capitalized...

I stand by my assertion that merging the MsElectric and wk057 threads was a mistake - two completely different moderation topics with different conversations and no note was left as to why the threads were merged. Eventually the wk057 ban topic took over the thread.

I stand by my assertion that merging the MsElectric and wk057 threads was a mistake - two completely different moderation topics with different conversations and no note was left as to why the threads were merged. Eventually the wk057 ban topic took over the thread.

At the time the threads were merged there hadn't been any posts in the original thread in over seventeen hours. It would seem that the wk057 ban topic "took over" the thread because the other topic's discussion had pretty much run its course.

At the time the threads were merged there hadn't been any posts in the original thread in over seventeen hours. It would seem that the wk057 ban topic "took over" the thread because the other topic's discussion had pretty much run its course.
Using that logic, any time there is some arbitrary amount of dead time in a thread, it's OK to merge a different thread into it if the subject matter is only broadly related. Does that really make sense?

If so, there's quite a few threads that could use the same treatment to reduce thread count.

Status
Not open for further replies.