Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brilliant Borgy and Cafz

Don't worry about the max draw, a C curve 63A breaker won't pop on the startup spikes same as the 80A fuse. Even if it hits 100A spike no issue. It's to protect your 16mm cable and that will have no issues. Your Sparkly will give the same advice. But you are far better off with a 63A breaker popping instead of your 80A service fuse.

Good to know the C63A has similar behaviours to the big supply fuse. I understand totally your helpful insights into better practice. Im going to pay for ugrading from a master switch to a CB.

Yes I just looked up the datasheet from the model number in your photo.

If your main switch really isn't a circuit breaker (if it says C63 on it, then it is), I'd get that replaced with a MCB. It's the current standard, and as @Borgy says, you don't want your service fuse to pop, you'd be without power until you can get a level 2 electrician on site.

Champion. Ill find that datasheet too. Yeah now I understand this whole level 2 thing, gawd, thats a drama I need to avoid.

fuseboxclose.jpg

For sure now that main switch isnt going to be staying in my fuse box - his days are numbered :)

don’t charge it at all on days that the aircon needs more draw or other appliances such as oven/cooking are on?
Thanks Paul. I'm kinda let down a bit by the smart meter upgrade. I thought now I have a smart meter itll probably let me do cool stuff like knowing what my peak use was, the instantaneous use etcetc. I had thought I could log on to my retailer which is currently Red Energy and see graphs and data from 30mins ago etcetc. Well it seems I cant see diddly squat. The smart meter has this 03 display then a 14 display and then just data and time and thats it. Red Energy said they dont do data in my customer portal like I thought and worse Id have to manually call them and then they take forever to come up with a manually built spreadhsheet from them on my use when trying to expense the electricity for the Tesla etcetc.

So Im kinda left to guesses on my own and better doing guesses based off deeper insights into what Im doing with power at the cottage etcetc

The big battle looming before me will be the unsafe 6mm power pole to my PAO being upgraded to 16mm so I can actually safely get 63A single phase into the cottage.

Is the wiring from a power pole to the POA actually copper? Gawd I hope its not Al

Thanks Paul. I'm kinda let down a bit by the smart meter upgrade. I thought now I have a smart meter itll probably let me do cool stuff like knowing what my peak use was, the instantaneous use etcetc. I had thought I could log on to my retailer which is currently Red Energy and see graphs and data from 30mins ago etcetc. Well it seems I cant see diddly squat. The smart meter has this 03 display then a 14 display and then just data and time and thats it. Red Energy said they dont do data in my customer portal like I thought and worse Id have to manually call them and then they take forever to come up with a manually built spreadhsheet from them on my use when trying to expense the electricity for the Tesla etcetc.

So Im kinda left to guesses on my own and better doing guesses based off deeper insights into what Im doing with power at the cottage etcetc

The big battle looming before me will be the unsafe 6mm power pole to my PAO being upgraded to 16mm so I can actually safely get 63A single phase into the cottage.

Is the wiring from a power pole to the POA actually copper? Gawd I hope its not Al
A powerwall battery will provide you the data you seek. I can see my peak solar, grid in, grid out, and house consumption. It will also provide your more power for sudden surges (But it too has limits)

Reactions: OzTzlaBloke
I thought now I have a smart meter itll probably let me do cool stuff like knowing what my peak use was, the instantaneous use etcetc. I had thought I could log on to my retailer which is currently Red Energy and see graphs and data from 30mins ago etcetc. Well it seems I cant see diddly squat.
Your distributor might have an interface like that, even if your retailer doesn't.

However, you can also get a device like a Powerpal or Emerald Electricty Advisor that sticks onto the front of your smart meter and gives you that kind of data.

I had thought I could log on to my retailer which is currently Red Energy
Energy Australia does
But its latency is 48hrs - you get the data 2 days later. But it is accurate and granularity down to the hour. Plus historical data as well

And I find their rates are on par with RE and better than OVO - after including all the elements of the electricity plan

I have TOU with EA
No peak tariff on any weekend
No peak tariff Sep/Oct/Mar/Apr
Unlimited solar export

I recently negotiated a deal with them for Flexi 20%. I had told them RE offered me a good deal and I was going to jump ship. They didn't know I spreadsheeted my electricity bills from the last year. As electricity retailers have different plans a spreadsheet is the only way to win the game - easy to enter tariffs and discounts which recalculates the whole 12 months bills instantly. Eventually they discounted their standard discounted plan Flexi 7% to Flexi 20%.

Fairly big discount as I export 20,000kWh to the grid each year and import 20,000kWh pa from the grid each year

• Informative
Tesla have agreed to give me replacement 10A & 15A tails, for my 8A & 12A, free of charge
I reckon they should be doing that for everyone. I know they have been pressured by some of us who pointed out that what they advertised didn't match what they delivered. Hopefully they will do the right thing by anyone who asks for replacements.

I now only have one spare UMC, having sold the other (after upgrading it's firmware in case Tesla break that option again!).

I reckon they should be doing that for everyone. I know they have been pressured by some of us who pointed out that what they advertised didn't match what they delivered. Hopefully they will do the right thing by anyone who asks for replacements.

I now only have one spare UMC, having sold the other (after upgrading it's firmware in case Tesla break that option again!).
Now they just need to stop blocking it from charging other electric cars

I have used mine (current firmware, ie 10A/15A enabled) to charge a Hyundai Kona and also a Porsche Cayenne PHEV.

Do you have a specific repeatable example of an EV that the UMC can’t or won’t charge?
I was confused by this as well. Having recently updated my UMC firmware, I just checked that I can still charge the 2022 Kona EV, and it is working fine - currently delivering 2.1 kW, as my voltage is often as low as 220V.

I know some of the earlier Wall Chargers have not been able to charge non-Tesla's, and apparently only some of them could be updated to allow it, so perhaps that is what hooty was referring to. I was nearly caught out at accommodation which advertised EV charging - only one of their Tesla wall chargers could charge the Kona. I am looking forward to a time when charging is universally available and compatible. I am pleased that Australia is increasingly free of the need for charging adapters.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I have used mine (current firmware, ie 10A/15A enabled) to charge a Hyundai Kona and also a Porsche Cayenne PHEV.

Do you have a specific repeatable example of an EV that the UMC can’t or won’t charge?

I had a BYD Atto 3 for a couple of days and it wouldn't charge with my UMC. I didn't try too much with the troubleshooting though, so may have been user / new car error.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian
BYD Atto 3
I know of several Atto 3 users who either also own a Tesla or who specifically went out and bought a UMC to use with their Atto 3 and the combination is working for them. I even just asked in the Atto3 thread on Whirlpool earlier this morning to reconfirm and got two replies already that it works fine for them.

Maybe jump over to https://whrl.pl/RgDaMX and ask if there is some particular Atto 3 firmware update or an in-car setting or something that needs to be done if you can’t get the UMC working with your Atto3, because it _should_ be working and certainly doesn’t appear to be deliberately blocked by Tesla for any reason.

• Informative
Reactions: JonDarian