Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsworth Vs Musk defamation trial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you may be wrong about that. I am not sure but I thought that Unsworth played a very key role in organizing a very complex rescue.

He is not a scuba diver and did not plan the rescue.
It was known that the kids had gone to the cave, since at least one of them stayed home from the chaperoned trip.
Unsworth knew about the cave and had contacts in the British military who were divers and those personnel made first contact.

I admire Elon Musk, and not for his wealth or bravado, rather he embarrassed an entire industry that for decades said it could not be done and simply did not have the gumption to try.

He has also made me a great deal of money. However this was truly unseemly. First to even engage someone in this manner for a man whom is worth billions and has sights on the stars, to dwell in such a gutter reminds me of another fragile egotistical infant in the guise of an adult.

Unsworth damages claim were also disproportionately leveraged against the "insult" however I do believe Elon would have been better served to simply apologise to Unsworth directly, invite him to Tesla's facilities, have him see the sincere efforts Tesla made to aid these children, and perhaps even settle out of court. Being a gentleman, being just should not be so bloody difficult.

I will continue to support Tesla and drive their cars, however this was disappointing to say the least.

Reactions: aaron0k and STARR X
I admire Elon Musk, and not for his wealth or bravado, rather he embarrassed an entire industry that for decades said it could not be done and simply did not have the gumption to try.

He has also made me a great deal of money. However this was truly unseemly. First to even engage someone in this manner for a man whom is worth billions and has sights on the stars, to dwell in such a gutter reminds me of another fragile egotistical infant in the guise of an adult.

Unsworth damages claim were also disproportionately leveraged against the "insult" however I do believe Elon would have been better served to simply apologise to Unsworth directly, invite him to Tesla's facilities, have him see the sincere efforts Tesla made to aid these children, and perhaps even settle out of court. Being a gentleman, being just should not be so bloody difficult.

I will continue to support Tesla and drive their cars, however this was disappointing to say the least.
I seem to recall
1: Musk asked if he could help in any way.
2: Unsworth went on international tv to blast Musk publicly.
3: Musk answered, less than diplomatically but without naming names, then immediately deleted that AND apologised.
4: Musk was madly engaged doing many other things at the time.
5: THE END? No, but it coulda, shoulda been.
? ? ?
Infinity: Unsworth provokes court by extortionate claim and promptly loses case. BOTH PARTIES AGREE TO END THE FEUD, in legal writing!
Infinity + 1: Internet commentators comment on the Internet, incessantly over the dead horse. It's over, OK?

Just give it up already, folks. Please.
Not only Musk has other things to do. Why not find something too, eh?

PS Was writing this epos while a better one posted :oops:

I fully agree with the courts decision!!! Space-X and Boring engineers volunteered their expertise & time (along with Elon's money) to develop a mini sub to save those kids if all else failed. Then Mr. Unsworth tells Elon that "he can shove the sub where the sun doesn't shine"! So Elon responded in an unprofessional (South African street kid) way.... so what?.... but he did delete his post and immediately apologized after learning who this insulting guy was despite Mr. Unsworth's public outburst. Look, it's very obvious, Mr. Unsworth WAS LOOKING FOR A PAYDAY... AND HE LOST! What's wrong with you people? Elon's a great guy and was publicly vindicated.

I seem to recall
Jermey Arnold wrote up a quora answer that goes into quite a bit of detail of Elon's involvement in the rescue, with links to sources such as the request by Richard Stanton(one of the leaders in the rescue) for Elon to keep working on the sub because they were concerned about the smallest lad.

He's also written a piece at medium on media bias against Elon/Tesla.

This whole thing tarnished my image of Elon forever. Billionaire calling someone a pedophile with no evidence, pretty much the worst type of accusation you can make about someone. Then gloats about getting away with it...

I guess we're used to Billionaires crapping on little people and smiling about it these days. Too bad Elon has joined camp.

He's a visionary... and a jerk.

Can't have much respect for the Tesla sycophants defending such behavior either.
Except if YOU actually had facts you would know that the guy tweeted to Elon First to shove it up his a$$. He was responding to that. SO I guess you think only non rich people can be abusive. Then it's ok? If you start a fight, don't whine when you get answered.

As a result Elon retaliated with a very poor choice of insult by referring to Vern as "Pedo Guy" - a common insult in Elon's region of South Africa just meaning "creepy old man", not an actual accusation of pedophilia.

LOL, you're so gullible, if you really believe that's what it means in South Africa, I have a bridge to sell you. Maybe two.

Billionaires are people too, even Elon. He was right to strike back, he just took an unfortunate attack vector.

There is no question that basic human instinct dictates a natural defence of ones position however I suppose my position remains that one should elevate the discourse and not engage every halfwit in a gutter fight.

That said I’m looking forward to next generation Model S.

Cheers

There is no question that basic human instinct dictates a natural defence of ones position however I suppose my position remains that one should elevate the discourse and not engage every halfwit in a gutter fight.
Indeed, and have you actually considered how many halfwits attack him multiple times every single day? If not, you should, and consider how many daily attacks you would endure before lashing out at one of them. From my viewpoint Elon is incredibly patient and reserved, much more so than I would be.

Reactions: Thora
LOL, you're so gullible, if you really believe that's what it means in South Africa, I have a bridge to sell you. Maybe two.
Elon Musk is right, it seems: in the 1980s the phrase "pedo guy" was used as an insult in Pretoria, where he grew up – and it was a generic reference that did not necessarily mean someone was a pedophile
Elon Musk is right, ‘pedo guy’ was slang in South Africa in the 1980s– but it wasn’t that common

So let's talk about those bridges...

here is a quote from the Unsworth attorney's letter on this whole thing. If he can move past it, so should the rest of us. Time to let this thread die...

Lin Wood (attorney for Unsworth):

"The truth vindicated Musk and Unsworth. Our system of justice worked. Truth emerged and all of those privileged to participate in our system leave this case as winners."

Last edited:
Reactions: MaryAnning3
Status
Not open for further replies.