Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling Official Invite in LA on 3/31 in Evening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. You've misunderstood.

You might be the FIRST base model delivered if you've ended up with a low number....

But you're still going to be behind the "well spec'd" models. I guess if you want to be the 1st base model, then yes, camping out works for you. But the more realistic way to get a low VIN (not low-reservation number) Model 3 is to spend, spend, spend. check some boxes. spec it out.

Yes, but if you want the base model isn't it better to get the first base model rather than waiting another couple months? If you want a car as soon as possible, order a Model S. Whether you want a high spec Model 3 or a base Model 3 you will get the car sooner ordering in store than you will waiting.

No. You've misunderstood.

You might be the FIRST base model delivered if you've ended up with a low number....

But you're still going to be behind the "well spec'd" models. I guess if you want to be the 1st base model, then yes, camping out works for you. But the more realistic way to get a low VIN (not low-reservation number) Model 3 is to spend, spend, spend. check some boxes. spec it out.
The whole point is to get the car you want ASAP.

You may want a loaded M3, whereas I may want just a couple options. And there will likely be a hell of a lot of people who want just a couple options, so it makes all the sense in the world to camp out if you want to get your car before the other like-minded people.

We have no idea how the tax credit is going to work out, but if it so happens that only the first handful of people who want just a couple options are eligible, I'm gonna be damn glad I camped out to reserve my modestly optioned car.

The whole point is to get the car you want ASAP.

You may want a loaded M3, whereas I may want just a couple options. And there will likely be a hell of a lot of people who want just a couple options, so it makes all the sense in the world to camp out if you want to get your car before the other like-minded people.

We have no idea how the tax credit is going to work out, but if it so happens that only the first handful of people who want just a couple options are eligible, I'm gonna be damn glad I camped out to reserve my modestly optioned car.

OR you could think of the credit (or whatever amount you qualify for) as "free" options. That's what I'm doing. There are certain things I will get no matter what. But if adding more in options looks like it will make a difference in moving me up in the line so I actually am getting the full credit, then that's what I'll do. The credit doesn't phase out immediately - it steps down. I would consider adding an option or 2 if it would move me up. I'm not sure if that would be easy to discern, however.

OR you could think of the credit (or whatever amount you qualify for) as "free" options. That's what I'm doing. There are certain things I will get no matter what. But if adding more in options looks like it will make a difference in moving me up in the line so I actually am getting the full credit, then that's what I'll do. The credit doesn't phase out immediately - it steps down. I would consider adding an option or 2 if it would move me up. I'm not sure if that would be easy to discern, however.

Would love to go to this, anyone have a spare on their +1? I live in San Diego...Happy to drive too!

We won't really find out until the Configurator page goes live.

And when it does....will it show you your "expected delivery date" as you add/subtract options, and before hitting "send"?

If so, it could create a feeding frenzy for higher optioned cars.

If adding a Pano roof changes my delivery date by 2 months, and suddenly gives me a better shot at getting the tax rebates...yes....I'm checking that box. And I'm sure there will be many others in the same position.

I'm in the same boat. Knowing that I don't need the range (it'll be a city car, as the S is the roadtrip car), I want the smallest battery. BUT if that means I don't get the $7,500, I'll upgrade the battery to "move up" on the list.

We won't really find out until the Configurator page goes live.

And when it does....will it show you your "expected delivery date" as you add/subtract options, and before hitting "send"?

If so, it could create a feeding frenzy for higher optioned cars.

If adding a Pano roof changes my delivery date by 2 months, and suddenly gives me a better shot at getting the tax rebates...yes....I'm checking that box. And I'm sure there will be many others in the same position.

I don't know if it shows you your delivery date before you hit send, but I know X buyers changed things to get theirs moved up after they'd already configured. (Had to do with lack of parts pushing their date back - I think it was the grey wheels) So at the least you can change it after you've configured.

I don't know if it shows you your delivery date before you hit send, but I know X buyers changed things to get theirs moved up after they'd already configured. (Had to do with lack of parts pushing their date back - I think it was the grey wheels) So at the least you can change it after you've configured.

Not only that, for the X it was announced that the P90D will be built first, expect it <insert date>; then the 90D, expect it <insert date>; and last the 70Ds, expect it <insert date>.

So people knew how long they'd be waiting, or at least roughly, for their trim level.

Not only that, for the X it was announced that the P90D will be built first, expect it <insert date>; then the 90D, expect it <insert date>; and last the 70Ds, expect it <insert date>.

So people knew how long they'd be waiting, or at least roughly, for their trim level.

I don't think they'll even attempt to give us that level of detail for a year or so. :frown:

Not until they see just how many reservations they get, then line up suppliers, get the production line together, get the "mules" out for testing, etc etc etc

I don't think they'll even attempt to give us that level of detail for a year or so. :frown:

Not until they see just how many reservations they get, then line up suppliers, get the production line together, get the "mules" out for testing, etc etc etc

Agreed, but before they take confirmations (you select which trim and features you want), they should have this info available, at least as a rough ballpark (I don't think the X reservation holders turned into confirmation holders when that info came out).

When the configurator page finally goes live, you won't see dates changing as you add and remove options. What happens if you configure early with a halfway maxed out model, then 1000+ other people configure completely maxed out models that bump yours back. That could be a sh** storm for Tesla as hundreds or thousands of people get bumped from the dates on the configurator page -- especially if they're bumped more than a single month. Nope, not gonna happen.

You can change your specs right up until the vehicle enters the production stream. At that point you're committed. My guess is if you have a reservation, you'll be notified when the configurator page goes live, you spec your car, then you wait. And wait. Then you wait some more. One day you'll get an email that your car is about to enter production and here's your VIN. That's about it. If, at some point before you get that email you decide to upgrade your specs, you'll probably get that email sooner than you would have otherwise, but you wouldn't really know.

And unless you have a maxed out configuration, you can't even use your reservation number as an approximator. But those who *do* max and have low reservation numbers will be in a very good position to estimate delivery date once customers start receiving theirs.

Sorry everyone else. With Tesla, patience is not so much a virtue as it is a necessity.

Don't even think for a second that Tesla will tell us what options and their pricing will be on March 31. None of that will be worked out until very late in the game. What we will see on March 31 is the prototype and few specs such as performance and maybe battery sizes. They will surely talk about the design and their motivations and the importance of a compelling mass market EV, maybe a bit more info about auto pilot but that's about it. They want to keep some secrets until the car is ready for production.

For the Model S and Model X Tesla most definitely gave estimated delivery dates for the various options. Whether those date are realistic is an entirely different proposition.
Yes, but EM didn't come out and say that the more you pay the sooner you'll get your Model S or X. With the 3 that's changed. The real question is how long he'll keep that going -- there could be people who want a base Model 3 that end up waiting 2 years for it if they don't change that policy at some point.

Yes, but EM didn't come out and say that the more you pay the sooner you'll get your Model S or X. With the 3 that's changed. The real question is how long he'll keep that going -- there could be people who want a base Model 3 that end up waiting 2 years for it if they don't change that policy at some point.

Well he kind of did - since Sigs were first and they were optioned out.

We need 4 production lines - 1 for S, 1 for X, 1 for highly optioned 3 and 1 for lowly optioned 3. Would be nice to get a mix out.

I don't understand what you mean. For both the Model S and Model X it was very clear that they were shipping the larger battery configs first and the lower configs later (for the Model S it made no difference whether you got performance or not, for the Model X they are doing performance versions first). The whole quote about higher options coming first was just Elon saying that they were going to be doing this the same way with the Model 3 that they did with the Model S and Model X.

We need 4 production lines - 1 for S, 1 for X, 1 for highly optioned 3 and 1 for lowly optioned 3. Would be nice to get a mix out.
If they did 2 M3 lines, you can bet they'll both pump out highly optioned cars, 'cause that's where the money is...

I do expect a few low-optioned 3's in the early mix, though. That way they can say "Oh, we aren't shipping only P80DL's - we've done a few base 50's"