Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're both pretty pricey. I was leaning towards MPP because I know KW coilovers are great. Not sure who UP got to make theirs. I think UP still shows on their site as pre order and not actually avail for purchase. Maybe thats why no one really has it. I'd like to just use lowering springs but a matched set of coilovers usually performs better than lowering the car on factory struts. I still haven't decided yet though. The price of the car out the door is still hurting the wallet atm. Maybe sometime in 2020 lol.
UP uses ohlins coilovers.

If the Redwood stuff wasn't $1000 more than most all other ohlins kits for other cars and options for Tesla I'd be all over them. A big fan of how the DFV or R&T work on Evos but they arent prefect. I run the double adjustable Flags on the Evo which require some custom parts to fix the things from self destruction. The Evo Ohlins happen to work well flipping front and rear springs but the balance is wrong per their spec.

Ohlins also has a history of putting out spring rates that are nonsense for the platform and never admitting failure (Look into what they put out for Mustangs).

Im still stuck trying to figure out which direction to go with UP (body length adjustable is a big benefit for what I have planned), MPP (the favorite here), or custom.

If the Redwood stuff wasn't $1000 more than most all other ohlins kits for other cars and options for Tesla I'd be all over them. A big fan of how the DFV or R&T work on Evos but they arent prefect. I run the double adjustable Flags on the Evo which require some custom parts to fix the things from self destruction. The Evo Ohlins happen to work well flipping front and rear springs but the balance is wrong per their spec.

Ohlins also has a history of putting out spring rates that are nonsense for the platform and never admitting failure (Look into what they put out for Mustangs).

Im still stuck trying to figure out which direction to go with UP (body length adjustable is a big benefit for what I have planned), MPP (the favorite here), or custom.
Totally agree with you there. It's ironic how many Ohlins coilovers have rates that don't seem to correspond well for the chassis. That's why Redwood has produced this custom kit to their own specs. Much like they have done with Sakebomb Garage FP specs for RX7's, S2K's, etc.... The added cost is because only the dampers come from Ohlins. The rest of the components are all their own. The cost to machine and manufacture in such low volumes is costly. I've seen their stuff first hand and been intimately involved during that initial process.

In regards to figuring out which damper to go with I'd say that the adjustable length shocks don't make sense for most people because that free length of the shock should be fixed and the rest of the height adjustment done at the spring with our without the use of helper springs if needed. It's possible you have a special case need but I see way to often that "JDM" setups have the shock lengths too short and the car has no droop. Then you see guys driving their cars down the street looking like bobble heads. With that said, Redwood has adjustable shock lengths but they advise you not to change that. They tell you what the shortest shock length should be and height is adjusted at the spring. I hope this is helpful info for some.

Totally agree with you there. It's ironic how many Ohlins coilovers have rates that don't seem to correspond well for the chassis. That's why Redwood has produced this custom kit to their own specs. Much like they have done with Sakebomb Garage FP specs for RX7's, S2K's, etc.... The added cost is because only the dampers come from Ohlins. The rest of the components are all their own. The cost to machine and manufacture in such low volumes is costly. I've seen their stuff first hand and been intimately involved during that initial process.

In regards to figuring out which damper to go with I'd say that the adjustable length shocks don't make sense for most people because that free length of the shock should be fixed and the rest of the height adjustment done at the spring with our without the use of helper springs if needed. It's possible you have a special case need but I see way to often that "JDM" setups have the shock lengths too short and the car has no droop. Then you see guys driving their cars down the street looking like bobble heads. With that said, Redwood has adjustable shock lengths but they advise you not to change that. They tell you what the shortest shock length should be and height is adjusted at the spring. I hope this is helpful info for some.

My unique situation is I make billet uprights for Evos looking into if its worth it for the Tesla. The effect of an upright change on a multilink suspension effects shocks travel reducing droop. But I have an idea for the lower control arm that would fix that. Hoping to finish the 3d scanning this weekend of the rest of the front bits to start getting an idea on what can be improved when lowered. If nothing else, bump steer adjustment and inner tire clearance are certainly desired.

But I really do prefer a double adjustable shock and since so many options are single height adjustable it may be necessary to just take that into consideration and run with the common MPP kit. Id buy their kit now but waiting a few weeks since Black Friday is so close.

Reactions: AxelR
I can't compare Redwood Öhlins DFV to MPP to UP (yet?), but I can say a little about my Öhlins experience so far.

Before buying our M3P, which wife & I picked up yesterday, we test drove several cars including a 2021 Polestar 2 with Performance Pack which comes with adjustable Öhlins DFV dampers from the factory. Going into the test drive I knew nothing about Polestar, and I had barely glanced at the P*2's spec sheet, just enough to see that on paper it looked inferior to a Model 3/Y...

The suspension and handling on that Öhlins-equipped P*2 P blew me away. It's night-and-day better than a stock 2021 M3P or M3LR. When pushed hard over twisty roads, especially uneven back roads, the Model 3 is a sloppy mess in comparison. Ride quality in the P*2 P is better as well. All this despite the P*2 weighing significantly more. The difference was very clear to my wife too, even though she's not into sporty driving like I am.

Will the Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV give the Model 3 some of that suspension magic? I don't know yet, but I'll find out once my order for a "Street Performance" set arrives and I make time to install them. I know there's much more to suspension tuning and handling feel than just shocks, but I'm quite certain Polestar's use of (well-tuned) Öhlins DFV dampers played a big part in how well-sorted the P*2 P feels.

Are the Redwood Model 3 Öhlins worth a price premium over MPP KWs or UP or anything else? I also can't say that yet, I've only driven stock Model 3's so far. :) Someday I'd love to get together with folks who have different aftermarket suspension parts on their cars and do some test fun driving.

I can't compare Redwood Öhlins DFV to MPP to UP (yet?), but I can say a little about my Öhlins experience so far.

Before buying our M3P, which wife & I picked up yesterday, we test drove several cars including a 2021 Polestar 2 with Performance Pack which comes with adjustable Öhlins DFV dampers from the factory. Going into the test drive I knew nothing about Polestar, and I had barely glanced at the P*2's spec sheet, just enough to see that on paper it looked inferior to a Model 3/Y...

The suspension and handling on that Öhlins-equipped P*2 P blew me away. It's night-and-day better than a stock 2021 M3P or M3LR. When pushed hard over twisty roads, especially uneven back roads, the Model 3 is a sloppy mess in comparison. Ride quality in the P*2 P is better as well. All this despite the P*2 weighing significantly more. The difference was very clear to my wife too, even though she's not into sporty driving like I am.

Will the Redwood Motorsports Öhlins DFV give the Model 3 some of that suspension magic? I don't know yet, but I'll find out once my order for a "Street Performance" set arrives and I make time to install them. I know there's much more to suspension tuning and handling feel than just shocks, but I'm quite certain Polestar's use of (well-tuned) Öhlins DFV dampers played a big part in how well-sorted the P*2 P feels.

Are the Redwood Model 3 Öhlins worth a price premium over MPP KWs or UP or anything else? I also can't say that yet, I've only driven stock Model 3's so far. :) Someday I'd love to get together with folks who have different aftermarket suspension parts on their cars and do some test fun driving.
I've owned four Model 3's and a Model Y.

The stock suspension sucks.

Ended up putting MPP Coilovers on all but my daily driver LR RWD. Difference is night and day.

The stock suspension is just a mass market cheap setup. It makes sense in the context, but it is a bit disappointing.

Reactions: DFW_MVP

Ended up putting MPP Coilovers on all but my daily driver LR RWD. Difference is night and day.

The stock suspension is just a mass market cheap setup. It makes sense in the context, but it is a bit disappointing.
Agreed. I installed MPP Sport Coilovers on my Model 3. The difference from stock is dramatic. It absolutely transforms the car.

Reactions: DFW_MVP

Agreed. I installed MPP Sport Coilovers on my Model 3. The difference from stock is dramatic. It absolutely transforms the car.

I'm excited to hear that! Even though I'm getting a different set, I've become quite convinced any of these are going to be significantly better than stock.

Have either of you done other suspension mods beyond the coilovers, or felt like you wanted to, just for more fun on the street / twisty back roads? E.g. are you 100% happy with steering response after "just" the coilovers (and good tires I presume), or do you find yourself considering things like firmer bushings?

I'm excited to hear that! Even though I'm getting a different set, I've become quite convinced any of these are going to be significantly better than stock.

Have either of you done other suspension mods beyond the coilovers, or felt like you wanted to, just for more fun on the street / twisty back roads? E.g. are you 100% happy with steering response after "just" the coilovers (and good tires I presume), or do you find yourself considering things like firmer bushings?
You will be happy either way. I've had both and installed both. The MPP offers a bit more fine tuning adjustment due to it also have compression adjustments but you really can't go wrong either way. It just comes down to what color you like and how deep your pockets are. Each has their merits.

You're welcome to drive my car if you're anywhere near Western PA lol.

For the street I was very happy with how I had my wife's 2018 setup. MPP Comfort Coilovers with Camber Arms front and rear. More than that and you might start to introduce additional harshness.

Question:

I'm considering going for MPP Sport Coilovers on my daily driver. I've modded many cars in the past and sometimes everything just works as if it's stock and sometimes a good mod has many negative tradeoffs such as noise..etc. My intention is light autocross and tracking the vehicle but mostly just a more enjoyable feel on an incredible car. Are there any negatives or drawbacks to the MPP Sport Coilovers? Anyone have any regrets? I'll have this car until the Roadster comes out soooo...it'll be a while. lol

Thanks!!

Best,
Gene

Question:

I'm considering going for MPP Sport Coilovers on my daily driver. I've modded many cars in the past and sometimes everything just works as if it's stock and sometimes a good mod has many negative tradeoffs such as noise..etc. My intention is light autocross and tracking the vehicle but mostly just a more enjoyable feel on an incredible car. Are there any negatives or drawbacks to the MPP Sport Coilovers? Anyone have any regrets? I'll have this car until the Roadster comes out soooo...it'll be a while. lol

Thanks!!

Best,
Gene

I have 0 regrets. Set to recommended street settings the car is firm but comfortable (wife hasn't complained yet) and has been incredible at AutoX with just the sport coilovers and front upper control arms.