Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Comfort Non-Adjustable kit is zinc plated rather than stainless steel, so if you wanted to run them with Pittsburgh winters I would recommend spraying them with a rust preventative coating before winter and wiping it off in the spring. That should do the trick! Functionally they will be fine even if the zinc plating is eaten by the salt, but they won't look nice and shiny gold if that happens.
That is most likely what I would do! Thanks for the feedback.
Ugh Pittsburgh winters… this is why I stick my car in the garage for 4 months 😂
I also have a few other vehicles so I don't really HAVE to drive the Tesla. But given it seems all of the companies buying used cars are giving the same price whether the car is pristine or ran into the ground I'll just drive it :)

• Love
Reactions: SK360
Anyone have experience with Unplugged's rear spring arms, and their custom springs that eliminate the need for separate spring perches? It seems like a really nice way to reduce weight and simplify the whole assembly at the least. But how much does the increased spring travel matter? Visually it looks like the usual solutions take up a ton of travel, but when is that ever a problem?

link:

If this has been discussed a bunch here already I apologize

Anyone have experience with Unplugged's rear spring arms, and their custom springs that eliminate the need for separate spring perches? It seems like a really nice way to reduce weight and simplify the whole assembly at the least. But how much does the increased spring travel matter? Visually it looks like the usual solutions take up a ton of travel, but when is that ever a problem?

link:

Another weight reduction option and you can use the highest quality linear rate springs from Hyperco or Swift. If you know KW, there springs sags over time. Lots of dicussion on that issue on many other platforms:

2.6 lb. of weight savings per corner using an articulating height adjuster(yes, height adjustable without removing the control arm), Swift springs and Swift thrust sheets.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 74
Another weight reduction option and you can use the highest quality linear rate springs from Hyperco or Swift. If you know KW, there springs sags over time. Lots of dicussion on that issue on many other platforms:

2.6 lb. of weight savings per corner using an articulating height adjuster(yes, height adjustable without removing the control arm), Swift springs and Swift thrust sheets.
Interesting, is this a solution you rolled yourself, that just drops into the factory spring arms?

link:

I have them. They’re pretty awesome. Super easy to adjust.
8C6632E7-6C98-479F-8306-7C528B8E6218.jpeg

…eliminate the need for separate spring perches? It seems like a really nice way to reduce weight and simplify the whole assembly at the least. But how much does the increased spring travel matter? Visually it looks like the usual solutions take up a ton of travel, but when is that ever a problem?
Droop travel is defined by the spring rate and is not affected by perches or spring size/configuration.

Compression travel is defined by the shock and bump stops, so again the perches don’t matter.

And lastly, while those perches are a clunky jumble of adapters and spacers, they have no significant weight.

@MasterC17, did you install yourself or where did you have them done?
I've installed everything myself, I've been in Automotive my whole life and worked several years as a technician. I currently work in the EV field.

Installing Coilovers on the 3/Y is not hard, setup is more important than anything else. Any competent independent shop should be able to handle it for you, I specifically try to find people with experience in corner balancing and track alignments as they have a wider knowledge base.

Reactions: P3D-R
Droop travel is defined by the spring rate and is not affected by perches or spring size/configuration.

Compression travel is defined by the shock and bump stops, so again the perches don’t matter.

And lastly, while those perches are a clunky jumble of adapters and spacers, they have no significant weight.
Spring free length will also affect droop travel unless you preload the crap out of a short spring.

No, the free length has nothing to do with it.

The difference between ride height and droop limit is - by definition - the spring rate.
That only works if the spring is exactly zero preload at max travel. Like what would happen with a car using body length adjustment for ride height. You can do this with UPs coilovers since they are body length adjustable.

With MPP, droop is a function of shock length (fixed) and ride height. But the maximum droop of tire to body, is fixed by body length of the shock.