Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UP vs MPP Coilover

Coilovers

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Motion122

Hooke's Law describes linear spring forces: F = kx
where:
F = Weight of one corner of the car, say 450 kgf (1000 lbs) on a Model 3.
k = Spring rate at the wheel, say 3 kgf/mm
x = Vertical travel from full droop (loose spring) to ride height.

So in this example you would have a droop of x = F/k = 450/3 = 150mm (5.9") and you can see from the formula that the droop distance is defined entirely by the weight of the car vs the spring rate.

Now to circle back around to spring locations (coilover vs divorced): Say you have a divorced spring located halfway between the control arm pivot and the wheel centerline (the Model 3 spring is close to this location). That 2:1 leverage means the wheel moves twice as far as the spring so you'd need a 6 kgf/mm rate to get the same ride quality as above.
In this case your droop *at the spring* will be F/k = 450/6 = 75mm but the droop at the wheel will be twice that - 150mm just like above.

• Informative
Reactions: Ren.OG
Sorry, you're still not really right. Wheel total travel is only defined by the shock length. The only thing hookes law is stating is where spring would become "loose".

Also, your 2:1 leverage ratio would have a 4:1 effect on spring rate (MR^2).

Last edited:
@Motion122

Hooke's Law describes linear spring forces: F = kx
where:
F = Weight of one corner of the car, say 450 kgf (1000 lbs) on a Model 3.
k = Spring rate at the wheel, say 3 kgf/mm
x = Vertical travel from full droop (loose spring) to ride height.

So in this example you would have a droop of x = F/k = 450/3 = 150mm (5.9") and you can see from the formula that the droop distance is defined entirely by the weight of the car vs the spring rate.

Now to circle back around to spring locations (coilover vs divorced): Say you have a divorced spring located halfway between the control arm pivot and the wheel centerline (the Model 3 spring is close to this location). That 2:1 leverage means the wheel moves twice as far as the spring so you'd need a 6 kgf/mm rate to get the same ride quality as above.
In this case your droop *at the spring* will be F/k = 450/6 = 75mm but the droop at the wheel will be twice that - 150mm just like above.
Not sure how that applies here. The wheel or unsprung weight isn't hanging off the end of the spring.

@Dallas J is correct that the shock length determines the droop as it acts as a restrain or limit.

The milling looks pretty damn good.
I mean….quality is quality
9EA78FC1-79ED-4DC1-8B9E-9F824DA22CA8.jpeg

053A7F6E-038E-4AB1-B89D-E3948545ABFF.jpeg

If I read that correctly, that is 100 all around. Is this the sport coilovers? I don't understand why their spring rates are all over the place depending when you receive your kit.
Yes it’s 100 on all 4 corners and their sport. That you’d have to ask them but I’d imagine being modular and customizable is the appealing factor for each owner. I have a friend with a Y and he has their coils but they were able to a do a custom luxury max low version for him.

Wheel total travel is only defined by the shock length. The only thing hookes law is stating is where spring would become "loose".
Absolutely. The loose spring is all I was referring to because the context was the effect that springs have on "usable" droop. And specifically that the free length of the spring doesn't enter the equation - only the rate.

Also, your 2:1 leverage ratio would have a 4:1 effect on spring rate (MR^2).
You're correct that there is a trigonometry term in there that I didn't mention, but that's because it divides out. In my divorced spring example the wheel actually travels in an arc, but so does the spring. And the arc length at the wheel is twice as long as the one at the spring so whether or not you include the trig you still end up with the same 2:1 ratio.
And MR^2 is an inertia term, we're talking about static forces here. The torque equation (T = Fd) would be a better fit if that helps to visualize the force/distance ratios.

Reactions: Lindenwood
I only posted to show that they do work with ohlins. I never stated this set was on sale. Atomic even stated this was an R&D set.
There are 2 sets done there - another one was supposed to be mine, a year ago. This is not done in cooperation with Ohlins - it's custom mounts, valving, springs with stock motorsport TTX dampers. To the best of my knowledge, UP is dealing with Ohlins stuff through Atomic for a first time. I never seen UP stating that they use or cooperate with Ohlins...