Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update: Model X has a single charger, but only 48A capable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to significant numbers of incorrect home installation of the HPWC and the heat generated by charging @ 80 amps continuous, Tesla has decided to reduce home charging from a maximum of 80 amps to 48 amps, beginning with the Model X. I think one can anticipate the same action being taken with the Model S when the current supply of 40 amp chargers is used up.

Due to significant numbers of incorrect home installation of the HPWC and the heat generated by charging @ 80 amps continuous, Tesla has decided to reduce home charging from a maximum of 80 amps to 48 amps, beginning with the Model X. I think one can anticipate the same action being taken with the Model S when the current supply of 40 amp chargers is used up.

You didn't answer the question. Where are you getting this data?

Yeah, no. Otherwise there would be a safety notice issued.

- - - Updated - - -

When I work with product teams, the first thing we do is identify the key features that make the product. For instance, if the product collects and analyzes data, we cannot say that data integrity is 'pretty good'. Data integrity IS the product. It has to be present and reliable. Without it, there is no product. We build that list of 'non-negotiable' features, so the engineers know they can't get that wrong.

For an EV, range and time to charge should be two non-negotiable features. By reducing the rate of charge, Tesla is crippling many users. It's no better than, after taking deposits and allowing people to confirm, saying 'oh by the way, no one hardly ever uses full range, so we're giving you all smaller batteries.'

Rate of charge should have been a non-negotiable feature. I'd be fine with it as an option, just like we choose battery size. But right now, we're taking a step backwards.

Yeah, no. Otherwise there would be a safety notice issued.

- - - Updated - - -

When I work with product teams, the first thing we do is identify the key features that make the product. For instance, if the product collects and analyzes data, we cannot say that data integrity is 'pretty good'. Data integrity IS the product. It has to be present and reliable. Without it, there is no product. We build that list of 'non-negotiable' features, so the engineers know they can't get that wrong.

For an EV, range and time to charge should be two non-negotiable features. By reducing the rate of charge, Tesla is crippling many users. It's no better than, after taking deposits and allowing people to confirm, saying 'oh by the way, no one hardly ever uses full range, so we're giving you all smaller batteries.'

Rate of charge should have been a non-negotiable feature. I'd be fine with it as an option, just like we choose battery size. But right now, we're taking a step backwards.

Bonnie, Has it been confirmed to you as well that you SigX will be delivered with a single 48 and that there is no room/plan to install a 'dual' at the Service Center?

I am not an authority on this issue, but I have read many of the posts related to HPWC installations. My opinion is based on my observations and Tesla's actions. I think that Tesla has decided that it is just too risky to allow their vehicles to be charged at home using 80 amps continuous. Since few people are ordering the Model S add on 40 amp charger, they have decided to restrict any further production vehicles to charge at greater than 48 amps. I hope I have answered the questions above.

I am not an authority on this issue, but I have read many of the posts related to HPWC installations. My opinion is based on my observations and Tesla's actions. I think that Tesla has decided that it is just too risky to allow their vehicles to be charged at home using 80 amps continuous. Since few people are ordering the Model S add on 40 amp charger, they have decided to restrict any further production vehicles to charge at greater than 48 amps. I hope I have answered the questions above.

Speculation is fine, but in the future, I suggest you clarify that vs posting it as fact.

To paraphrase Moynihan, "you're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts." I appreciate you clarifying that this is your opinion, built from anecdotal evidence. Personally, I would argue that the facts disagree with your stance.

bullsh**! That's what NEC and building inspections are for. Do you see houses with 200 amp and 400 amp service catching on fire all the time?

So you think it was OK for Founders cars to be delivered with 72A charging but it's too risky for Signature and production cars to have more than 48A charging? Sorry, I don't think there is any evidence to support your theory why Tesla changed the Model X charger.

As for the Model S, few people order the second charger with the Model S because it's not listed as an option on the order page. Most mainstream buyers who don't follow the forums obsessively wouldn't even know such a thing exists, until they plug in at destination charger that is listed as 80A and wonder why they're only charging at 40A.

People not ordering the dual chargers like you said is the more likely reason. Not danger of charging at 80A. There is zero evidence this was done for safety reasons after 6+ years of people changing at 70A+ between Roadster and Model S.

It seems very likely that Tesla will discontinue access to greater than 48 continuous amps AC for all their future production vehicles, shortly. The more commonly available, 60 amp breaker, will be all that is required to max charge at home. It is also, very likely, that the only way one will be able to charge faster will be through DC connecting stations. Unfortunately for me and many others, we will have to dial down our HPWC from a 100 amps to 60 amps. It is also unfortunate that I had to install #3 copper AWG, although it will come in handy when I #charge my Tesla 3 at the same time. I expect delivery of my Sig X to be February 9th 2016, unsubstantiated of course.

I was under the impression that a 72 amp charger never existed. If one is referring to the photograph of a founders car displaying "72 A", I suggest that once the vehicle was plugged in, the display would indicate "48 A", the maximum charge rate available. I was also under the impression that founder's owners have none disclosure agreements with Telsa so they are not saying. The only way I can be sure of my facts is by plugging in my Tesla X which, unfortunately, is not an option at this time.