Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated iPhone X to iOS 13 now doesn’t work as key [Update: go to Settings > Privacy > Bluetooth]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
So my Tesla updated last night to version 2019.32.2.2.

today I updated my iPhone X to new iOS, left work and phone wouldn’t work as a key.

thought it was a fluke but persistently not working.

Anyone else experience this?

//update

I launched the Tesla app on my phone and it looks like it reset permissions in the app, wanted me to okay the app to use BT.

Annoying.

Hopefully that sorts the issue. Maybe this info will help someone else.

I have 32.2.2 and iOS 13 and everything works except Apple or Tesla screwed up the media volume stuff. Now I change volume on the car and the phone echos the change, boo!

So can you please explain the use case for two different volumes? I think this is about 200,000x better! I am /thrilled/ that the volume changes “pass thru” to the phone now.

And it was a change in 2019.32; has nothing to do with iOS 13.

Reactions: ISoGrumpy
I had this happen to me this morning after updating to 32.2.2 last night. Before I happened to update my iPhone to iOS 13 later in the day. So it seems this issue is with the Tesla update.

my phone worked fine this morning when I unlocked the car and left for work, I had updated the car yesterday when I got home from work.

At work I updated to iOS 13 and phone stopped working.

So can you please explain the use case for two different volumes? I think this is about 200,000x better! I am /thrilled/ that the volume changes “pass thru” to the phone now.

And it was a change in 2019.32; has nothing to do with iOS 13.

So here's how it all worked for me in the old days - volume on car did nothing to phone but car couldn't get louder than phone setting.

Then Tesla "fixed" it so that the car's volume was independent entirely to the phone which I liked :) It let me keep my phone's sounds settings to near off but have full blast music in the car.

Now the phone gets it's volume turned up when I blast it in the car meaning when I take the phone out of the car, it blasts me via the headphones... At least iOS could have volume per bluetooth device on something...

Reactions: dmurphy
my phone worked fine this morning when I unlocked the car and left for work, I had updated the car yesterday when I got home from work.

At work I updated to iOS 13 and phone stopped working.
We may have run into different issues. I also got the bluetooth permissions request for the Tesla app after the iOS update so that likely would have caused another issue with phone key today if I had not seen it before going out to my car.

So here's how it all worked for me in the old days - volume on car did nothing to phone but car couldn't get louder than phone setting.

Then Tesla "fixed" it so that the car's volume was independent entirely to the phone which I liked :) It let me keep my phone's sounds settings to near off but have full blast music in the car.

Now the phone gets it's volume turned up when I blast it in the car meaning when I take the phone out of the car, it blasts me via the headphones... At least iOS could have volume per bluetooth device on something...

I remember when it was two completely independent settings - the car couldn't be louder than on-device volume setting. That was annoying as all get-out.

The second one, I don't remember but I certainly wasn't looking for it either.

The third option wouldn't work, I don't think. I don't think there's a way to have separate volume channnels per-bluetooth device. Remember, the phone can connect to multiple devices at the same time, and even now with iOS 13, can stream to multiple devices simultaneously. So not sure that'd be a good idea either. :-/

The current functionality to me seems to be the best, simplest case ... but that's just my $0.02.

In iOS 13, Apple added a requirement that each app ask you to allow connection to Bluetooth as a security issue. Many apps had secretly been using Bluetooth to track you and did not otherwise need to use a Bluetooth connection. See

The Verge:
Here’s why so many apps are asking to use Bluetooth on iOS 13

Credit to Apple even if it requires us to approve specific apps like the Tesla app.

I had to erase the phone off the car and forget the Bluetooth on the phone and car. Then I rebooted and then reinstalled the phone with key. This fixed the issues with IOS13

I forgot that I had to do this last June when I started using iOS 13 beta. I haven't had any issues since then.

It is amazing how many apps use Bluetooth since most have absolutely no reason to access Bluetooth.

The new iOS 13 reset bluetooth permissions for every app. When you launch it for the first time it will ask if you want to let the app use your bluetooth. The reason for this was because apps that didn't need bluetooth will use it to track your location.

Just launch the app and click ok everything will work like normal.

In iOS 13, Apple added a requirement that each app ask you to allow connection to Bluetooth as a security issue. Many apps had secretly been using Bluetooth to track you and did not otherwise need to use a Bluetooth connection. See

The Verge:

Credit to Apple even if it requires us to approve specific apps like the Tesla app.

Be patient! Space-x will soon take over that market and you wouldn’t need to use your Bluetooth because your network carrier will be Space -x, which will get around all that jargon! Just a thought!

The Verge:

Clearly a good thing. I'll proceed with the iOS 13 update and re-sync my phone to Tesla if I need to. Appreciate the information.