Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Updated] Model 3 CCS / CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a bit of a strawman argument, i don't think anyone is really trying to make that claim (definitely not in the OP)?
Tesla vehicles that already have the capability to use ChaDEMO actually using was relatively rare to start with, due to requiring $500 hardware (people would borrow the gear from local "clubs", informal or more organized, when they were going to do a long distant trip to certain areas). Use even when you have the hardware is becoming rarer, because the motivation (need, convince, or desire based) is continuing to ebb away.

That's not a "straw man".

Vehicles that have the capability to use it actually using was rare to start with, due to requiring $500 hardware. Use even when you have the hardware is becoming rarer, because the motivation (need, convince, or desire based) is continuing to ebb away.

That's not a "straw man".

Trying to claim that you don't run out of electricity often and therefore you don't need CCS or Chademo is not the point that the OP was trying to make. That is basically the definition of a straw man logical fallacy when you present a new argument and pretend it was the original one since it's easier to make it fit your narrative/desired result.

Trying to claim that you don't run out of electricity often and therefore you don't need CCS or Chademo is not the point that the OP was trying to make. That is basically the definition of a straw man logical fallacy when you present a new argument and pretend it was the original one since it's easier to make it fit your narrative/desired result.
Use case the OP is suggesting is not practical outside a very narrow niche. "I'm going to run out of electrons otherwise" is probably the strongest of a set of very weak arguments for it.

It's punching out the strongest case there is. If you want to call that a "straw man" then the whole pile of it is chaff....well, maybe that's right but it probably isn't what you're trying to get at here.

Tesla vehicles that already have the capability to use ChaDEMO actually using was relatively rare to start with, due to requiring $500 hardware (people would borrow the gear from local "clubs", informal or more organized, when they were going to do a long distant trip to certain areas). Use even when you have the hardware is becoming rarer, because the motivation (need, convince, or desire based) is continuing to ebb away.
Well it may surprise you but I happen to own one of those expensive adapters and as I remember it the cost was 450 not 500. I bought it when I owned a Model S.

There are a few CHAdeMO stations here in the area that are free to use and a couple of them are located near biking/walking trails that I like to use. It was nice to park the car for a while go for a bike ride and return to a car that was fully charged.

When I sold the S I kept the adapter because I was told that they are working on the model 3 interface and it should be done any time now. As of today I am still waiting.

Reactions: jbcarioca
It's weird people are trolling this thread in some kind of defence of Tesla and/or trying to minimize the issue.

I think all of the threads on this topic show there are a sizeable number of Model 3 owners for whom this is an important issue.

For me, it is now my #1 issue. The auto sensing wipers were my biggest gripe until they were fixed in a recent software update.

It's weird people are trolling this thread in some kind of defence of Tesla and/or trying to minimize the issue.

I think all of the threads on this topic show there are a sizeable number of Model 3 owners for whom this is an important issue.

For me, it is now my #1 issue. The auto sensing wipers were my biggest gripe until they were fixed in a recent software update.

It’s costing Tesla sales here. Another one of our local group just jumped ship. His first choice is a Tesla but the local Chevy dealer just brought in 12 bolts and lined them up on the highway. He bought one two days again. He has enough money where he’ll probably still get a Tesla if the model 3 becomes non proprietary but in the meantime he can now drive Electric and access parts of the province he wouldn’t have been able to in a model 3. We can wait a little longer as our Leaf and smart ED are serving us well.

Cmon Elon. Giterdun

I don't know if I got this update....would I have been notified?

How many times have you run out of power due to this disastrous lack of CCS and CHAdeMO charging capability?
Really? I'm going to agree that you're being a pain with this strawman. People don't just set off into the unknown and then discover they are screwed and run out. The point is that people are having to not make these trips because the charging support isn't there.

Really? I'm going to agree that you're being a pain with this strawman. People don't just set off into the unknown and then discover they are screwed and run out. The point is that people are having to not make these trips because the charging support isn't there.

Exactly. I have personally never run out of power but then again I have a first generation leaf with Chademo that allows me to travel where I want to go in the province. If I switch to a model 3, I just can’t go anymore...because there are no Superchargers in those regions and you can’t use Chademo on a model 3. So yah. It’s going to cost them sales. Probably not a lot, but some.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
First I've seen the suggestion that CCS is where there aren't SC in OK.

There are 5 superchargers by Tesla in OK, 4 by Electrify America.

The Electrify America one in Ardmore is about 1 mile from the supercharger.

The Electrify America in OKC area is in Moore (South of OKC), Tesla's is in NW OKC about 20 miles apart, I live in Moore...

The Electrify America in Tulsa area is about 20 miles SW of Tulsa, Tesla's is in NW Tulsa

The Electrify America in Weatherford is about to open near the Tesla one

Tesla has one in Perry OK that EA does not have one near.

OK is a big state, much more charging is needed. Tesla has 3 coming in 2018 er now 2019.

Electrify America does not have any showing on the map beyond the 4 mentioned above.

Anyways, why would it hurt Tesla in any way to have both CCS and CHAdeMO adapters? If I have them side by side I will pick the least expensive one, and that would be Tesla's. Tesla should be avidly supporting both adapters, if it is worth a few hundred to buy one because of the local charging situation, then Tesla should offer the option.

Reactions: KJD
<snip list of stuff that exactly makes my point>
Serving inter-city travel is where the state of L3 charging is currently. 20 miles one way or the other isn't really anything when you're primarily charging at home or some other L2. If you're not doing that, and especially if you're not charging at a Tesla SC, you're likely paying gasoline prices, and up.

I live 30+ miles from SC and I couldn't care less that they are that far away. The closest planned SC location to me that I'm hoping for, that would be useful for me, is about 35 miles the other way.....and having it closer than that would make it less useful. Its function to me would be to allow me to skip the current Austin clusterbang without having to divert a bit sideways to San Marcos.
Anyways, why would it hurt Tesla in any way to have both CCS and CHAdeMO adapters?
1) The point at which to have it "native" in NA is kinda past right now, for a while. Plus that'd be a fugly, fugly thing if you've ever experienced a Type 1 CCS plug? :( I'm not even sure it would fit on the Model 3 body, like the Type 2 apparently does?
2) Tesla still has limited talent, limited attention, because it has so much that can be improved. What gets done first, the priority list is what this is about for adaptors for the cars right now. That is $450 adaptors that are going to have a quite limited market, so unlikely to pay off for Tesla for some time. There's maybe three ChaDEMO adaptors that I know of among all of the Houston area Model S owners right now.

High effort for low reward. If you'd like to argue "well Tesla should have build the Model 3 to do Type 1 native from the start"? When the Model 3 was being designed and first it wasn't clear there would be anything of any meaningful sort for CCS. There still isn't any meaningful vehicle fleet to use it. The only vehicles out there at the moment are the portion of the Bolt EVs that were built with the DC Fast option a handful of iPaces. The Bolt EV utilizes barely over 50kW. It isn't clear yet when (if?) CCS will be a viable thing. Where as Tesla had all this installed infrastructure and a fleet multiple times bigger then than there is of NA CCS vehicle now that was using Tesla connectors and cabling....

.....that aren't fugly and scary looking monstrosities. That impact alone, when you're trying to penetrate to a "mainstream" market, would be a huge cost.

Last edited:
It’s costing Tesla sales here. Another one of our local group just jumped ship. His first choice is a Tesla but the local Chevy dealer just brought in 12 bolts and lined them up on the highway. He bought one two days again. He has enough money where he’ll probably still get a Tesla if the model 3 becomes non proprietary but in the meantime he can now drive Electric and access parts of the province he wouldn’t have been able to in a model 3. We can wait a little longer as our Leaf and smart ED are serving us well.

Cmon Elon. Giterdun
Come on Webeevdrivers. Check my avatar.

Hopefully they bought that as a local commuter....and their butt continues to fit the seat. Because when it doesn't it isn't a happy thing to drive in. ;)

There are a few CHAdeMO stations here in the area that are free to use and a couple of them are located near biking/walking trails that I like to use. It was nice to park the car for a while go for a bike ride and return to a car that was fully charged.
Does it actually matter if you didn't already have that adaptor sitting in your garage? That's a pretty low payout. How many years would it take to cover the $450 of the CHAdeMO for that electricity? You certainly aren't going to be worried about whether you get home, or not.

((I know what the CHAdeMO costs, as you can tell from my other posts, my guess was $500 for the CCS because it's going to be even more unwieldy))

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Come on Webeevdrivers. Check my avatar.

Hopefully they bought that as a local commuter....and their butt continues to fit the seat. Because when it doesn't it isn't a happy thing to drive in. ;)

He kinda did actually. He didn’t want to go another summer without electric but needs to travel into the Kootenays via highway 3 so a Tesla Model 3 is outa there for obvious reasons. A model S would have worked but he wanted something a little smaller. My guess is he’ll buy a model Y...assuming it has CCS or Chademo.

High effort for low reward. If you'd like to argue "well Tesla should have build the Model 3 to do Type 1 native from the start"? When the Model 3 was being designed and first it wasn't clear there would be anything of any meaningful sort for CCS. There still isn't any meaningful vehicle fleet to use it. The only vehicles out there at the moment are the portion of the Bolt EVs that were built with the DC Fast option a handful of iPaces. The Bolt EV utilizes barely over 50kW. It isn't clear yet when (if?) CCS will be a viable thing. Where as Tesla had all this installed infrastructure and a fleet multiple times bigger then than there is of NA CCS vehicle now that was using Tesla connectors and cabling....

CCS is standard on the Model 3 now in EU no Tesla connector on the EU 3, and they have promised an adapter for the S/X which implies they could make one for the US 3 since it uses the same Tesla connector the S/X uses. They have the CHAdeMO adapter for the S/X already. So, hardware development should be minimal in both cases since they have working CCS/CHAdeMO connector to Tesla connector adapters already built for the S/X.

It appears to be only a software item that needs to be ported from S/X to 3. It is anyone's guess to how different the charging software is between the 3/S/X, but it is also hard to imagine that they do not try to unify as much of the software as possible for easier maintenance.

Reactions: dhrivnak