Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Updated] Model 3 CCS / CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does that even mean?

I'm sure you have the sales figure and profit margin for the Chademo adapter to make whatever point you are trying to make.
It means it is entirely rational for Tesla to make it low priority because it is a low use case because some anecdotal of people here don't stand up to reality of actual use out in the wild. EDIT: On top of the cost, because "profit margin" if you're looking at that requires accounting for development costs.

Would you really put CCS/CHAdeMO at much less above reliable auto-wipers on the priority list if your job was looking at ALL owners?

Would you really put CCS/CHAdeMO at much less above reliable auto-wipers on the priority list if your job was looking at ALL owners?

I never said I would. I said it's my new #1 issue now that wipers seem to be working well for me. It's certainly ahead of any easter eggs and fart noises. It's ahead of the dashcam feature that already got implemented (though sentry mode looks good).

Actually, it's ahead of anything EAP for me since I didn't buy that package.

Amazing that different people have different priorities isn't it?

You previously wondered if CCS would fit in the US.

I then posted an image showing it could fit alongside the Tesla connector.

In the second post, i was pointing out that it is possible to have two different connectors on a Model 3 and that Tesla currently does this in some countries, setting precedent to how they could handle it in other countries. Tesla could possibly have both CCS and Tesla connectors in North America eventually. I'm sure some would find it relevant.
Tesla installing both the North American Tesla connector and a CCS1 socket on any of their cars is highly unlikely. High power electrical switching is the reason. Chinese cars can easily have two ports because one port is for AC and one port is for DC. There is no switching between AC and DC as required with the Tesla connector. In addition, cars with CCS have dedicated pins for AC and DC. Once again, no switching necessary. The switching necessary to support both the North American Tesla connector and a CCS connector would be an unnecessary expense for the majority of owners. It could be optional, but Tesla has demonstrated that they don't really like to provide this kind of optional equipment. So, a CCS adapter is the best solution. Those who want it pay for it.

Reactions: KJD
Tesla installing both the North American Tesla connector and a CCS1 socket on any of their cars is highly unlikely. High power electrical switching is the reason. Chinese cars can easily have two ports because one port is for AC and one port is for DC. There is no switching between AC and DC as required with the Tesla connector. In addition, cars with CCS have dedicated pins for AC and DC. Once again, no switching necessary. The switching necessary to support both the North American Tesla connector and a CCS connector would be an unnecessary expense for the majority of owners. It could be optional, but Tesla has demonstrated that they don't really like to provide this kind of optional equipment. So, a CCS adapter is the best solution. Those who want it pay for it.

Sorry I'm wrong. Googled it technically I learned it was separate before, but the architecture change (around AC/DC switching) changed .

Honestly I don't know what Tesla will do long term. Adapter seems most likely given what is happening in Europe. Just wish everyone could have used CCS Type 2, (yes it can do single-phase AC) then everything would be simpler.

Note: if there's going to be any indication watch to see what happens in South Korea. Tesla is using Type 2 but the SK govt decided to use CCS Type 1, so I don't know if Tesla would ship the Model 3 with the type 2 CCS connector there or something else...

Last edited:
Technically though we are already doing switching with the NA port today, since it does AC and DC over the same connector. Though having 2 available DC inputs does increase cost and such more as well.

Actually they don't currently do switching. When you Supercharge it just bridges the battery directly to the AC input of the port. The AC charger circuitry has to ignore the DC voltage, which is one of the reasons that a failure in the AC charger can prevent Supercharging.

I don’t suppose anyone has any updates on the Chademo adapter availability for the three. We still have some time between having to make our choice between the model 3 (first choice) and Nissan Leaf E-Plus (second choice) but the leaf will win hands down if there is no adapter. Chademo (and CCS) locations now outnumber Tesla locations about 10 to 1 and continue to grow in this province. We want the model 3 but not enough to have to buy two vehicles. Just sayin.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I don’t suppose anyone has any updates on the Chademo adapter availability for the three. We still have some time between having to make our choice between the model 3 (first choice) and Nissan Leaf E-Plus (second choice) but the leaf will win hands down if there is no adapter. Chademo (and CCS) locations now outnumber Tesla locations about 10 to 1 and continue to grow in this province. We want the model 3 but not enough to have to buy two vehicles. Just sayin.

You might want to check Tesla's map of Supercharger locations. Your profile doesn't specify where you live any more precisely than "Canada," but there are a huge number of planned Supercharger installations underway in southern Canada. (They're the grey markers on the map.) I clicked on a few, and they were all reported as opening in 2019, but the information wasn't more precise than that.

Reactions: APotatoGod
You might want to check Tesla's map of Supercharger locations. Your profile doesn't specify where you live any more precisely than "Canada," but there are a huge number of planned Supercharger installations underway in southern Canada. (They're the grey markers on the map.) I clicked on a few, and they were all reported as opening in 2019, but the information wasn't more precise than that.

Thank you. They do have some planned for the southern Kootenays region but none for the island or 97 north to Prince George. Those areas are kind of crucial to us, especially the Vancouver island.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

No update.

I suggest that anyone who considers a Model 3 CHAdeMO adapter to be a priority should keep an eye on news about the Model 3 in Japan. CHAdeMO support is most important in that market. It was the first market to get the Model S CHAdeMO adapter.

Based on Elon Musk tweets to people in the UK and Australia, it seems that sales in RHD countries might begin late June 2019 or in July 2019. I don't know whether deliveries in Japan will begin at the same time.

There's maybe three ChaDEMO adaptors that I know of among all of the Houston area Model S owners right now.

Your count just went up by 25%, sort of -
I own one but have never used it myself. It is located at Rouses Market (PlugShare) in New Orleans because there isn’t a SuperCharger there yet. It has done more good being loaned out by the Rouses staff, than if it were locked away in my frunk. edit to add: they have a free public 50kW Nissan charger that gives the adapter 35kW.

I will have to go pick it up and take it to a Service Center when the firmware for 3 is released. There’s a flasher at Service Centers that connects to the CHADeMO adapter on the “ugly end,” and to a PC with a serial port. Thus is thy adaptor flashed. Now you know.

To @Webeevdrivers , I have no doubt an update will happen, to enable the adapter to feed a 3. What I don’t know is if it’ll happen by your fall road trip. In the meantime, since you know the route pretty well, and are courteous as well as articulate, you could suggest the best locations to Tesla and suggest Tesla to the best locations.

And I just have to add... Did you know that a Twitter account is free? I pledge to retweet any of your tweets to help visibility, and rest assured many here will do the same. Sincerely. The “3deMO” needs to happen, but you can state the need better than I can!

CCS stations are really starting to pop up around the Midwest. There's already one that might be useful to me in Burlington Iowa about 90 miles away. Plus two more locations going in along I-80 nearby with at least one of them at a fairly popular stop. The minute one goes in at Peoria or along I-74 between the Quad Cities and Peoria while a supercharger isn't available along that route is the minute a CCS adapter becomes essential for me. Right now that relatively short trip to Peoria requires quite a long time with the available L1 and L2 charging.

Long term it just seems like CCS is going to become the standard fast charging plug to find in smaller destinations that Tesla so far doesn't seem interested in.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and KJD
Lack of chademo made me not want to buy the model 3 as I am in Quebec..

I had one of the 1st Leafs and for the first 2 years there were no quick chargers and just a few near the end of the 4 yrs I had it.

Now they are everywhere.

But there are so many Superchargers popping up and they have so many stalls.

The chademo’s have one unit. If someone is using it realistically could be 10 min to 49 min wait. Then it is what 50-75 kwh depending on temperature?

With the supercharger some have 20 stalls. Even if they are All full, someone will leave withiin a few minutes and it charges minimum twice as fast as a chademo.

I drove my Leaf for 4 yrs and quick charged a handful of times.

Realistically I will never supercharge unless on a trip, with supercharging that is possible, with chademo it is just not within a reasonable time frame.

And let’s not forget thr adapter for an S was about $600...

So I ordered a 3 and will have it this week