Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Updated] Model 3 CCS / CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) The point at which to have it "native" in NA is kinda past right now, for a while. Plus that'd be a fugly, fugly thing if you've ever experienced a Type 1 CCS plug? :( I'm not even sure it would fit on the Model 3 body, like the Type 2 apparently does?
2) Tesla still has limited talent, limited attention,.
CCS Type 1 definitely fits under a Model 3 charge port cover. It almost looks like they could still fit a regular Tesla connector as well but I don't know if there would be enough room for the wiring on the inside.

Screenshot_20190216-102310_YouTube.jpg

I suppose they might have to rotate it slightly but I'm pretty sure they made it that big for a reason.

Last edited:
CCS is standard on the Model 3 now in EU no Tesla connector on the EU 3, and they have promised an adapter for the S/X which implies they could make one for the US 3 since it uses the same Tesla connector the S/X uses. They have the CHAdeMO adapter for the S/X already. So, hardware development should be minimal in both cases since they have working CCS/CHAdeMO connector to Tesla connector adapters already built for the S/X.

It appears to be only a software item that needs to be ported from S/X to 3. It is anyone's guess to how different the charging software is between the 3/S/X, but it is also hard to imagine that they do not try to unify as much of the software as possible for easier maintenance.
NA Tesla’s and EU Tesla’s use different plugs.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Well it may surprise you but I happen to own one of those expensive adapters and as I remember it the cost was 450 not 500. I bought it when I owned a Model S.

There are a few CHAdeMO stations here in the area that are free to use and a couple of them are located near biking/walking trails that I like to use. It was nice to park the car for a while go for a bike ride and return to a car that was fully charged.

When I sold the S I kept the adapter because I was told that they are working on the model 3 interface and it should be done any time now. As of today I am still waiting.
Me too. With my S I used CHAdeMO more often than I did Superchargers, just because of accessibility to my preferred exercise location. I used it frequently in Canada. For people anywhere in NA, the need is gradually reducing because of Superchargers expansion, but it is not disappearing, nor will it. We already would benefit for CCS for convenience. Other than Northern Ontario, parts of the Maritimes and the Prairies Superchargers are now mostly in place in Canada, but becoming crowded at peak times. Frankly we'd all be better off with both of these adapters for all Tesla models. Those who don't need them would not buy them.

CCS is standard on the Model 3 now in EU no Tesla connector on the EU 3
And the difference in situation of CCS in Europe and in North America is massive. Back in 2017 CCS was effectively non-existent nationally here. Now it exists here at least, with EA hoping to by the end of this year close the running gap of how far it is behind Tesla to only about 4 years. That's why, as your OK example highlights, it is in the eclipse shadow of Superchargers.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: KJD
CCS Type 1 definitely fits under a Model 3 charge port cover. It almost looks like they could still fit a regular Tesla connector as well but I don't know if there would be enough room for the wiring on the inside.

View attachment 377908
Good god man, look at where the latch at the top of the connector comes to. :eek:
....I'm pretty sure they made it that big for a reason.
Yeah "lack of taste and lack of foresight" and "quite content to scare the sugar out of potential BEV consumers so they'll stick with ICE vehicles" would count as "reasons" I suppose. :p

Last edited:
For people anywhere in NA, the need is gradually reducing because of Superchargers expansion, but it is not disappearing, nor will it.
Tesla DCs are about as close to CHAdeMO as the later is to Supercharging, even though one's AC and the other DC, and they are flooding that "I'm out locally" use case where the Urban SC aren't in yet.

I talked last weekend to someone that drives very widely, top 10 in unique SC locations. He carries his old adaptor but figured he hadn't used it at all in well over a year. The NE of the US was something of a use for it to bridge the SC gaps at one point. Portion parts of Eastern Canada along the St. Lawrence still have CHAdeMO where there's something of gaps. But those gaps are disappearing, too, and it's got DC and J-1772 AC charging for the small bumps you need to get through ahead of the SCs rolling out.

The "need" is very much disappearing, and CHAdeMO is effectively a zombie standard in NA at this point. Leaf had its heyday, and that's all that's driving CHAdeMO. If Nissan stops pushing here it'll start heading towards disappearing entirely. Maybe the Leaf's complete collapse in BEV will stall or even slightly reverse with the new Leaf, but there's no credible reason right now to expect it to rise above "also-ran" going forward.

Last edited:
You previously wondered if CCS would fit in the US.

1) The point at which to have it "native" in NA is kinda past right now, for a while. Plus that'd be a fugly, fugly thing if you've ever experienced a Type 1 CCS plug? :( I'm not even sure it would fit on the Model 3 body, like the Type 2 apparently does?

I then posted an image showing it could fit alongside the Tesla connector.

Yeah, I missed the "not CCS" at the end. I tripped myself up on expecting something relevant to the discussion about CCS. :rolleyes:

In the second post, i was pointing out that it is possible to have two different connectors on a Model 3 and that Tesla currently does this in some countries, setting precedent to how they could handle it in other countries. Tesla could possibly have both CCS and Tesla connectors in North America eventually. I'm sure some would find it relevant.

Last edited:
Does it actually matter if you didn't already have that adaptor sitting in your garage? That's a pretty low payout. How many years would it take to cover the $450 of the CHAdeMO for that electricity? You certainly aren't going to be worried about whether you get home, or not.
((I know what the CHAdeMO costs, as you can tell from my other posts, my guess was $500 for the CCS because it's going to be even more unwieldy))
If they offered a CCS adapter for $450 or $500 I would buy it today. Its not about saving money. A free charger is just a nice bonus of having more options.

A CCS or CHAdeMO adapter would give all of us more options. If you have no need for one then you do not have to buy it.

If they offered a CCS adapter for $450 or $500 I would buy it today. Its not about saving money. A free charger is just a nice bonus of having more options.
And you don't grasp how in the minority you are? How niche that is, and so rightly down the priority list of To Do things? Where there are a quickly increasing number of other options of native charging?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: outdoors and KJD
I then posted an image showing it could fit alongside the Tesla connector.
To which I responded pointed out an issue (and you even talked about rotating the connector? BWHAAHAH).
In the second post, i was pointing out that it is possible to have two different connectors on a Model 3 and that Tesla currently does this in some countries,

Which is a lot different dimensions. Because CCS plugs are both monstrosities (Type 1 arguably worse because it's got the same issue as G/T, a external latch). It is sorta the bottom "ball sack" hanging down, only that is just he DC portion that was graphed on post-hoc to two other standards. How can you not possibly grasp this crucial difference?????

I understand standards age, and some less gracefully that others. But CCS was born a mess.

Last edited:
It does look like CHAdeMO is probably going to be limited in the US. CCS appears to be the one all the European car makers are going to use. Yes they are behind Telsa now in charging stations, but they are working on it. Volkswagen group (Audi, Volkswagen, Porsche) is putting in 300 highway locations, with 100 already installed. They are also planning 650 in town locations, I do not know how many they have of those built. Essentially they have committed as part of the emissions cheating settlement to spend 2 billion putting in charging stations.

I would indeed buy a CCS adapter if Tesla sold it for my model 3. Just having the option of fast charging by my house would be worth it, I have only had my car since September, but I have had a few times where I had to wait on my car to charge at home (and yes I have a 100 amp 220 circuit feeding the 48 amp max draw the model 3 can take).

I would indeed buy a CCS adapter if Tesla sold it for my model 3. Just having the option of fast charging by my house would be worth it, I have only had my car since September, but I have had a few times where I had to wait on my car to charge at home (and yes I have a 100 amp 220 circuit feeding the 48 amp max draw the model 3 can take).
Then Tesla should definitely drop other items on the To Do list to pour resources into rushing the item through design, sourcing, and regression testing of hardware and software for the sub-%1 of customers that would buy it? For a standard that they don't control that is still finding its feet to stabilize in the field?

If you were Tesla would you really want to be doing the live product testing for EA, and providing customer support for this, to find out if it is functional in use? Because nobody else is, yet.

Troll?

JFC :rolleyes:

Numerous owners in here are telling you why an adapter would be valuable to them, and you are simply arguing that it's not important. Obviously it's not important to you. The usefulness of a Chademo adapter is directly related to where you live, and where your travel patterns take you.

It's like me chiming in on a thread about auto-sensing wipers, saying they seem to work perfectly, meanwhile I live in Arizona and it rains 3 days a year...

Numerous owners in here are telling you why an adapter would be valuable to them, and you are simply arguing that it's not important. Obviously it's not important to you. The usefulness of a Chademo adapter is directly related to where you live, and where your travel patterns take you.

It's like me chiming in on a thread about auto-sensing wipers, saying they seem to work perfectly, meanwhile I live in Arizona and it rains 3 days a year...
If wipers that reliably work in rain were something approaching niche and we about vaguely irrational "feels good but sure it makes no money sense", you'd have a valid comparison.

But they aren't and so you don't.