Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updating from 40.3 to 40.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This coming from a 2 year Model 3 owner and a robotics developer, namely me.
For best results and fewer mood-altering oddball anomalies. After every update:

Reboot the screen computer. Hold the 2 thumb salute until the logo appears.
Put phone in Airplane Mode, sit in your seat as you power off the car,
then wait 3 minutes. That's what it takes to reboot the control computer.
Don't forget to then re-enable your phone to avoid hassles with the alarm ;-)

Do a walk-around and wipe your cameras and sensors before the day's first drive,
or after driving through muck.

Now, as to why. The car does several initializations when installing an update.
But these are part of a complex sequence that overlays new code piece by piece,
reloads map data and copies user settings to finally put together an operating system.
There isn't, as far as I can tell, a complete reinitialization of the final "assembly".

That reset takes up to 10 minutes, and needs to remove the car from connection
w/ the controlling phone, and off the network. That puts the system in an "out of reach"
state. Makes sense that it's best left to the user, who can react if the system gets "looped".

Of course, it's a small inconvenience, but it's well worth the time. And "why not?"
As to the pre-flight inspection, any dirt on the cameras will obscure some detail,
and until you look, you don't know how much. As to the IR sensors etc, cleanliness
is next to godliness ;-) It can't hurt.

gotta say the speed assist in 36.11 was a huge step backwards, but 40.3 was a step further back.
Roads that were OK in 36.11 and ran a steady 65 were now either 40 or 55 in 40.3.
Also felt that 36.x really badly messed with the smoothness of long sweeping curves and turned them into a series of sharp corners and straights.
Add random USB and BT issues and you get a pretty crappy 40.3
I've got another long drive next weekend over the same roads that 36.11 and 40.3 made unusable with AP - so I'll find out for sure.

The speed limit reading has been messing up, up and down. I had a stretch of freeway from Las Vegas towards Bakersfield that the car thought was a plain highway with cross traffic, thought it was clearly a divided freeway. So it dropped out of NOA at 80MPH, and was imposing a 60 MPH AutoSteer max, forcing me to (shudder!) drive in manual.

They are doing a bit of whack a mole nailing boundary cases and sometimes it spills over like that. Oh well, they break 'em and they fix 'em.

freeway from Las Vegas towards Bakersfield that the car thought was a plain highway with cross traffic, thought it was clearly a divided freeway.

"....... though (?) it was clearly....." ?

Not many regular surface streets on that journey!

In the UK I suspect the issue is worse given the proximity and intertwined nature of our roads. Basic geofencing of certain behaviors isn't going to work.

I can put up with a pretty high level of strange behavior and anomalies, but changes without warning makes for quite a stressful driving experience.

If only Tesla would structure and document their updates so at least you got some warning when features like lane control / discipline or speed related behavior has been modified.

Can anyone confirm if the exterior speaker in the bumper is outputting motor noise now while driving forward? Last night I was driving by a wall about 20mph, and it sounded like it was making an audible electric whine with the windows down.

Never heard this before, thinking it may have been part of this update.

This coming from a 2 year Model 3 owner and a robotics developer, namely me.
For best results and fewer mood-altering oddball anomalies. After every update:

Reboot the screen computer. Hold the 2 thumb salute until the logo appears.
Put phone in Airplane Mode, sit in your seat as you power off the car,
then wait 3 minutes. That's what it takes to reboot the control computer.
Don't forget to then re-enable your phone to avoid hassles with the alarm ;-)

Do a walk-around and wipe your cameras and sensors before the day's first drive,
or after driving through muck.

Now, as to why. The car does several initializations when installing an update.
But these are part of a complex sequence that overlays new code piece by piece,
reloads map data and copies user settings to finally put together an operating system.
There isn't, as far as I can tell, a complete reinitialization of the final "assembly".

That reset takes up to 10 minutes, and needs to remove the car from connection
w/ the controlling phone, and off the network. That puts the system in an "out of reach"
state. Makes sense that it's best left to the user, who can react if the system gets "looped".

Of course, it's a small inconvenience, but it's well worth the time. And "why not?"
As to the pre-flight inspection, any dirt on the cameras will obscure some detail,
and until you look, you don't know how much. As to the IR sensors etc, cleanliness
is next to godliness ;-) It can't hurt.

Don't forget to check the oil level.

The speed limit reading has been messing up, up and down. I had a stretch of freeway from Las Vegas towards Bakersfield that the car thought was a plain highway with cross traffic, thought it was clearly a divided freeway. So it dropped out of NOA at 80MPH, and was imposing a 60 MPH AutoSteer max, forcing me to (shudder!) drive in manual.

They are doing a bit of whack a mole nailing boundary cases and sometimes it spills over like that. Oh well, they break 'em and they fix 'em.
I had to take the car out of Auto-Pilot because the speed was limited to the School speed limit even though it was in the evening - way after school hours...