Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from Model Y to Model S Worth IT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I currently I am a recent owner of a Model Y and was wondering if you guys think it is upgrading to a Model S. I actually really like the Model y. I like the way it handles and I like the space. The main thing that keeps bugging is the highway noise. It is really bad and I commute approximately 2-3 hours everyday on the highway. I am coming from a german vehicle and that car was extremely quiet on the highway. Do you guys think it is worth upgrading to the Model S for that reason alone? I should have just spent the extra money and went with the S to begin with.

So I currently I am a recent owner of a Model Y and was wondering if you guys think it is upgrading to a Model S. I actually really like the Model y. I like the way it handles and I like the space. The main thing that keeps bugging is the highway noise. It is really bad and I commute approximately 2-3 hours everyday on the highway. I am coming from a german vehicle and that car was extremely quiet on the highway. Do you guys think it is worth upgrading to the Model S for that reason alone? I should have just spent the extra money and went with the S to begin with.
I would go with the S due to its longer range but not its yoke and stalklessness.

I don’t know about how much noise relief you would get in the S.

I got wind noise with the 2012 S, 2017 X, and 2018 3 that I've owned throughout a decade. No such wind noise from my new Lucid perhaps because if its semi-framed windows. You should take a look at Lucid Air Pure that starts at $87,400 with 410 mile range.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and cwerdna
my Performance Model y with 21” wheels is fairly quiet on California highways. Not sure how your roads are. You could put 18” wheels on the model y. More sidewall means less road noise.

Reactions: GSP
I would go with the S due to its longer range but not its yoke and stalklessness.

I got wind noise with the 2012 S, 2017 X, and 2018 3 that I've owned throughout a decade. No such wind noise from my new Lucid perhaps because if its semi-framed windows. You should take a look at Lucid Air Pure that starts at $87,400 with 410 mile range.
I would love to get the Lucid but the thing thats stopping me from the Lucid is the self driving technology. I think Tesla is probably way better in that regards.

Honestly I just wish there was an aftermarket solution to the noise issue.

I could try the tires, but the thing is not sure if how much of a difference that would make.

I would love to get the Lucid but the thing thats stopping me from the Lucid is the self driving technology. I think Tesla is probably way better in that regards....
On the way back to the Central Valley after I picked up my Lucid from Orange County, CA we encountered very thick fog on the way down from the mountain at the Tejon Pass at around 6:30 PM 12/17/2022, the Lucid Adaptive Cruise and Lane Keeping function continued to work flawlessly while my relative in the 2017 FSD Model X had to drive manually because the system complained poor visibility and quit working suddenly.

It's true that Lucid doesn't have many features just yet (no auto lane change, no Autosteer in city streets...) but it’s safer in the fog.

I would love to get the Lucid but the thing thats stopping me from the Lucid is the self driving technology. I think Tesla is probably way better in that regards.

Honestly I just wish there was an aftermarket solution to the noise issue.

I could try the tires, but the thing is not sure if how much of a difference that would make.
AP1 was probably better than Lucid. The new system, probably about even.

Have you tried any of the noise reduction kits?

What tires do you currently have? How much tread is left? Worn tires can make any car loud.

You could also apply sound damping material inside the doors and hatch. I did that to my 2015 and it made a big difference.

Apparently there is a new option to bring back the wheel. I guess they have heard enough complaints.

The glass roof will reflect noise that an ordinary headliner would absorb. There's sunshades available could hold up an extra layer that could help.
Yes, the sunshade itself even helps a little.

I have an S Refresh (for reference) and my friend recently got a Y. I was surprised how quiet his Y was. But I have not driven it for 2-3 hours a day either.

What tires does OP have?

I'd vote for the S (and we have both a 2022 S and 2022 Y. Both are nice cars! I've made an extensive comparison between the latest cars, you can select the Y and the S (and the variant you are considering): Vehicle Comparison Selector – TeslaTap

As others pointed out, on the 2023 S you can now select the old-style round steering wheel that some prefer or the safer yoke-style steering wheel. I prefer the yoke as it's easier to grip IMHO, but it's not a huge thing. Round is ok too. Seems most people quickly adapt to the yoke in a few weeks of use, but some are unable to adapt and quite a few have never used it, but pipe in with their thoughts!

Reactions: Yelobird
Model S & X are the Grand Touring vehicles from Tesla. Latest refresh makes them even quieter, more smooth, and solid on the road. Dual pane windows, active noise suppression, improved aerodynamics, fantastic sound system, and combine to make driving them a wonderful experience.
Latest Active adjustable air suspension gives you the dual benefits of soft and comfy ride whan going slow and easy, switching to buttoned down firmer control when cornering agressively or cruising through the sweepers at extra legal speeds. You can order them with either latest Yoke or Conventional round steering wheel. They are quite remarkable personal transportation.
If you mention "Paul sent me" your local delivery/service center will give you a free test ride :)

Just be aware the active road noise reduction feature is junk, and I’ll stake my life on that. Do not buy the car for that feature in any part. In any other way, the S is much quieter than the Y anyway.
A Model X owner also mentioned here somewhere that the ANC in car was worthless.

With that said, I would love to have an S. Great car.

The 3/Y seats are much more comfortable if you're driving multiple hours a day. I do like the cooled seat function, but it's like sitting on a box compared to the 3 seats I came from.

The S is a lot quieter inside than the 3/Y; it feels more solid, and there's almost no rattles or squeaks compared to the 3/Y. An occasional thing here or there, but it's 75% better for sure.

Reactions: Gpa9504
Why upgrade if you like your car? We went from a new M3P to a plaid s and yea its way faster and bigger but the Y has the space and is pretty peppy. Is it worth twice the price? if speeds your #1 then yes if its not then no just keep your car. Escpeically if it is issue free. The plaids had the yoke which you can now swap to a normal wheel so thats nice, they have issues if your use the 21" wheels they pop like your driving over acorns when turning the wheel lock to lock. its super annoying and it makes the 158k car feel like a POS. People stare at you in parking lots. If you have a child in a booster seat buckling them in is impossible. If I wouldnt looks 35k on the plaid trading it in for god knows what I would have by now. Should have just kept my m3p that IMO was a better car for the money spent...unless you just want to go fast then nothing else matters and its 100% worth it. The brakes dont suck, just the cars so fast you need to re-adjust how your use to stopping. It has the same braking distance as a BMW m5 and can pull more G's on a skid pad.

Why upgrade if you like your car? We went from a new M3P to a plaid s and yea its way faster and bigger but the Y has the space and is pretty peppy. Is it worth twice the price? if speeds your #1 then yes if its not then no just keep your car. Escpeically if it is issue free. The plaids had the yoke which you can now swap to a normal wheel so thats nice, they have issues if your use the 21" wheels they pop like your driving over acorns when turning the wheel lock to lock. its super annoying and it makes the 158k car feel like a POS. People stare at you in parking lots. If you have a child in a booster seat buckling them in is impossible. If I wouldnt looks 35k on the plaid trading it in for god knows what I would have by now. Should have just kept my m3p that IMO was a better car for the money spent...unless you just want to go fast then nothing else matters and its 100% worth it. The brakes dont suck, just the cars so fast you need to re-adjust how your use to stopping. It has the same braking distance as a BMW m5 and can pull more G's on a skid pad.
Just to clear up any confusion, there's no popping issue with the 21s unless you're driving in colder climes. This has been addressed many times (Ackerman Effect). In the spring/summer, the 21s have no problems. If you're experiencing popping/wheel hop when it's warm out, take your car to service as that's not normal.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
We have a 21 model Y performance with 34000km and just picked up a 23 Model S, they are very different types of cars. The MYP is fun and very playful while the S is a sophisticated (apart from the low speed steering noise and wiper noise which will be looked by Tesla on Tuesday) and comfortable cruiser.

If I could only have one car/EV, MYP would be my choice. I wish the S have better brakes and perhaps a sportier character, but as a fast and comfy sedan, I really enjoy it for now.

Is it worth the upgrade from Y to S? IMO it’s a good to have but not necessary scenario.