Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upset at Major Headliner Issue - Anyone notice this? (resolved)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received the following email from Tesla. Great customer service!

I am happy to report that, going forward, all performance Model S will have a cost option for the Alcantara headliner. Since you already configured your car, you will be receiving the Alcantara headliner at no additional cost.

For those that received a Model S with a textile headliner, we will be offering the option of a 500 dollar discount or a no cost replacement of your current headliner with the Alcantara varient

Just received the following email from Tesla. Great customer service!

I am happy to report that, going forward, all performance Model S will have a cost option for the Alcantara headliner. Since you already configured your car, you will be receiving the Alcantara headliner at no additional cost.

For those that received a Model S with a textile headliner, we will be offering the option of a 500 dollar discount or a no cost replacement of your current headliner with the Alcantara varient

Excellent! Another instance of them doing the right thing which they seem to do more often than not.

UPDATE!
Got an email from Tesla. Offer 500 back or will retrofit to alcantara. Trying to decide if the retrofit can be done in San Diego as the service center there said they could not handle it.
That is more of what I expect from Tesla. Feeling better now.

I'm happy for all of you who ordered a P85 and got the fabric headliner as a post-delivery shocker. We'll never know for sure, but I don't doubt that this thread (and TMC in general) gets some of the credit for prompting this latest announcement.

Perfect. I think this was the right way to handle this. It shouldn't have happened in the first place to need a sort of retcon, but at least it is being handled.

FWIW, I'd take the Alcantara vs $500.

I agree as well...just that since the car will be taken apart anyway I'd rather try to see if I can get black alcantara. Especially if a private shop has to come out and do the retrofit in San Diego.

UPDATE!
Got an email from Tesla. Offer 500 back or will retrofit to alcantara. Trying to decide if the retrofit can be done in San Diego as the service center there said they could not handle it.
Hurrah! To be honest, this was what I expected to happen and I'm happy Tesla met that expectation. A little disappointed Tesla got themselves into this situation, but sometimes what's obvious to the outside viewer hits a blind spot for those on the inside.

UPDATE!

Thanks for the update. I have personally not heard back, so it is nice to know what to expect. It's a no brainer that I will take the alcantara over the $500. It does make it a hassle for me since the nearest service center is 250 miles away and who knows how long it will take.

Thanks EMdoc for bringing it to everyone's attention!
I am glad you got a response. I haven't heard back yet but it sure sounds like problem resolved.
Thanks TeslaMotorsClub for being here to get the word out and fix the problem.
If you haven't donated to the TMC yet this is a good reason to help support TMC.
I wouldn't have known until delivery and gotten surprised in a bad way.
Thanks again to everyone that spoke up to help get this resolved.
Now I just need to wait for red.

If they used the word replete then I agree. I didn't remember they saying that. Hopefully it was just a glitch and they can fix those affected or make it more clear for future buyers.
Yeah, just put "replete with Alcantara" into Google.

Glad they're fixing it for you all but I still have to wonder WTF they were thinking. This is now going to cost them WAY more to retrofit than they're going to save. I love Tesla but talk about making an unforced error....

Tesla may be hoping now that more folks would ask for $500 back than opt for the Alcantara install after-the-fact given the obvious inconvenience involved.

Very sloppy overall at the end of the day on Tesla's part. How could they have ever thought that they could slip this under the radar given TMC's existence?! :tongue:

Here is the explanation I just received.

Thank you for contacting Tesla.

The Alcantara headliner will still be a part of Model S. Originally the headliner was removed to address customer requests for a more stain resistant material.

However, all Performance Model S will have the option for the Alcantara headliner. If your vehicle is not delivered with the Alcantara headliner, you will have to option to receive either a $500 credit or choose to have the Alcantara headliner installed. Currently, the Alcanatara is not in production so there is possibility of receiving your Model S with the textile headliner. If this is the case, our service center will replace the headliner with the Alcantara at no added cost.