Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. Good luck on taking delivery before your lease expires--that seems like a tight window, but California deliveries still seem to be the quickest once you have a VIN, so you've still got a shot.

Thanks. I think if I can get the VIN by next Monday, I will be ok. I only work 4 miles from home and have an e-bike so going without a car for a while won't be too bad (still have the wive's car for weekends). My parents are coming out to visit Memorial Day Weekend (well, coming out to visit my son) so would be nice to have it to show them when they are here.

I suspect they are pushing the 200,000 into the next quarter. I ordered in April. I just got the e-mail stating my delivery date is being pushed into July. Considering they just shut down the plant to make some changes in order to ramp up production, this sudden delay is odd... unless they're delaying US deliveries for a very short while. Somehow I expect my car will arrive the first week of July, coincidentally the start of a new quarter.

As long as I'm still getting the credit, I don't mind the delay. I think it would have been stupid of them not to try and squeeze out another quarter of full credit if they're able to. As long as they sell the cars somewhere and keep improving the rate of production, who cares? I'm not crazy enough to have tried to time a lease to end to coincide with delivery of a car 2 years in the making. Even if you had, just rent a car for a month or two if you need to rather than get something else.

Reactions: chojn1 and bhzmark
As long as I'm still getting the credit, I don't mind the delay. I think it would have been stupid of them not to try and squeeze out another quarter of full credit if they're able to. As long as they sell the cars somewhere and keep improving the rate of production, who cares? I'm not crazy enough to have tried to time a lease to end to coincide with delivery of a car 2 years in the making. Even if you had, just rent a car for a month or two if you need to rather than get something else.

Then why don’t they keep selling elsewhere around the world and just keep delaying model 3 deliveries in the US till beginning of 2019. Then even the $35k will get full tax credit.

Then why don’t they keep selling elsewhere around the world and just keep delaying model 3 deliveries in the US till beginning of 2019. Then even the $35k will get full tax credit.
Because the only place other than the US they are selling right now is to Canada and they are already sending most, if not all production for the next month or so, there. And trying to make whatever changes would be required to sell to other markets, even left hand drive ones, would probably just add more delays and complicate production all over again.

As much as Tesla is doing their best to push out deliveries to 7/1 (Q3) to help max out the tax credit, how many customers have they upset with this push? Now, I understand that the "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", it's clear that Tesla see's this as the lesser of the two evils.... Upset a smaller subset of people now and please a larger group with a full tax credit....

But...... It's appears that trying the max out the number of deliveries in Q3 and Q4 comes with a whole new set of problems.... SERVICE CENTERS..... Can the overwhelmed service centers get this large amount of cars into the hands of purchasers by the end of Q4?

If not, then not only have they upset current customers by making them wait (for up to 10 - 14 weeks), but may also upset a great many more because the centers can't handle to volume and get them into inventory on their own lot?

Anyone else think this will completely bury the service centers with inventory, issues of handing off new cars, and also handling issues with these new cars needing service or correcting defects?

As much as Tesla is doing their best to push out deliveries to 7/1 (Q3) to help max out the tax credit, how many customers have they upset with this push? Now, I understand that the "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few", it's clear that Tesla see's this as the lesser of the two evils.... Upset a smaller subset of people now and please a larger group with a full tax credit....

But...... It's appears that trying the max out the number of deliveries in Q3 and Q4 comes with a whole new set of problems.... SERVICE CENTERS..... Can the overwhelmed service centers get this large amount of cars into the hands of purchasers by the end of Q4?

If not, then not only have they upset current customers by making them wait (for up to 10 - 14 weeks), but may also upset a great many more because the centers can't handle to volume and get them into inventory on their own lot?

Anyone else think this will completely bury the service centers with inventory, issues of handing off new cars, and also handling issues with these new cars needing service or correcting defects?
No, I don’t think a one month delay in deliveries in June will have any substantial impact on how swamped the service centers are in December. Either they’re going to be swamped, or they’re not. Swamping Canada in June will have no bearing on that.

Reactions: bhzmark

It'll likely be way past that before the $35k version becomes profitable and they can only delay so long before the S/X models eat up the 200K number. Those people need the credit even less than the LR Model 3 people.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911

You obviously try to please as many customers as possible. That's not a hard decision at all.

And Tesla plans on cranking out hundreds of thousands of 3's per year. The service centers will be strained regardless.

Reactions: DR61
So, are there any actual numbers, or respectable estimates of the number of cars Tesla has sold so far, and when they will reach 200k? Any comments/tweets from Elon on the topic?

There's lots of speculation here about when and why, but none of it is based on any actual information, is it?

I too am hoping for the 200k to hit on or after July 1, as I configured a single motor, but am deferring for the dual motor, and I expect delivery before the end of 2018, but maybe not before the end of Q3, 2018.

So, are there any actual numbers, or respectable estimates of the number of cars Tesla has sold so far, and when they will reach 200k? Any comments/tweets from Elon on the topic?

There's lots of speculation here about when and why, but none of it is based on any actual information, is it?

I too am hoping for the 200k to hit on or after July 1, as I configured a single motor, but am deferring for the dual motor, and I expect delivery before the end of 2018, but maybe not before the end of Q3, 2018.
You won't know for sure until Elon tells us, which won't be until after July 1.

As embarrassed as I am to say this, the thing I am most looking forward to in life is the expiration of the Tesla Federal $7,500 tax credit. Because then the internet will no longer be clogged up with endless speculation concerning when the credit expires, whats the formula for lessened credit by quarter, <insert random intricate point here>, yadda, yadda, yadda...

But no doubt when we finally arrive at that glorious magical date when anyone buying a Tesla no longer gets any Federal rebate, I will start having nightmares about them reviving the rebate for Tesla, and wake up in a cold sweat every night running through all the endless calculations required to figure it out and the ensuing TMC chatter over such... ;)

RT

As embarrassed as I am to say this, the thing I am most looking forward to in life is the expiration of the Tesla Federal $7,500 tax credit. Because then the internet will no longer be clogged up with endless speculation concerning when the credit expires, whats the formula for lessened credit by quarter, <insert random intricate point here>, yadda, yadda, yadda...

But no doubt when we finally arrive at that glorious magical date when anyone buying a Tesla no longer gets any Federal rebate, I will start having nightmares about them reviving the rebate for Tesla, and wake up in a cold sweat every night running through all the endless calculations required to figure it out and the ensuing TMC chatter over such... ;)

RT
A suggestion for you.

Considering your stated aversion to the topic, you may want to consider NOT reading or commenting on a thread titled "
US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker"

Or maybe you actually are interested.

So, are there any actual numbers, or respectable estimates of the number of cars Tesla has sold so far, and when they will reach 200k?
Insideevs seems to have reasonable numbers.
The 6 Automakers Closest To Losing Federal Tax Credit

Poke around their site a bit they also have estimates for Model 3s produced so far this quarter. Best I can figure, Tesla will produce enough Model 3s to put them over the limit by about 20k. Whether or not they figure out a way to stall that many is the interesting thing.