Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Superchargers open to CCS vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • I am a Tesla driver, what additional benefits do I get compared to other electric vehicles?
    As a Tesla driver you benefit from the seamless integration of charge post and vehicle, optimized route planning and battery pre-conditioning. With your Tesla, you’ll also have access to the lowest Supercharger pricing.

So who will be the first to post a video or image of this working? Just go into the Tesla app, click your acct. then sipe left on the icons below your image and choose Charge Your Non-Tesla and you'll see all the chargers you can use:

B42F82B2-E5BD-41F6-82A8-79ECC1B664F1_1_201_a.jpeg

West coast:

Placerville, CA
Scott's Valley, CA

3CC2C96A-3CF3-450C-8CC7-1924ACEA4C9B_1_201_a.jpeg

East Coast:

Batavia, NY
Brewster, NY
Hancock, NY
Fredonia, NY
Malta, NY
Parish, NY
Red Hook, NY
Verona, NY

Last edited:
Might also be able to determine that by VIN. Most CCS cars should be able to transmit that under the Plug and Charge standards.

Also note that it's more likely to be the other way around.
Tesla's charging in alternate spots will prevent a non-Tesla with the port on the wrong side from charging - so those cars might learn to skip busy times.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
I don't see how this would work. In order for it to work, you have to use the Tesla app to select the specific stall you are at to enable charging. If you just brought your own Magic Dock connector to an arbitrary Supercharger that doesn't have a Magic Dock already, the app wouldn't have the pin for your to select your stall & start charging.
One could certainly select the location they are at via the app (and location aware requirements would do that) and then select the SC number on the stall/stack to enable charging. the SC should already know if that SC #/unit is in use and of course if not, enable charging.

One could certainly select the location they are at via the app (and location aware requirements would do that) and then select the SC number on the stall/stack to enable charging. the SC should already know if that SC #/unit is in use and of course if not, enable charging.
Well, you currently can't, as non-MagicDock locations aren't listed in the map to select. Sure, they could make it so you could do that, but they won't. Just like in Europe they are only opening select locations, even though every one of them has CCS and could be used by non-Teslas. They aren't intending to let CCS vehicles use the entire Supercharger network.

I am sure it will be like the lines that spontaneously form when a Supercharger fills. All the backwards CCS cars will populate the SpC from the right leaving the Teslas and Tesla-norm CCS cars to fill the spaces where you actually park in the Supercharger's correct space. This will result in a single unused space between the two opposing sides, perhaps a cone could be placed in that space that says <--Teslas/CCS--> and people can move it to meet demand

I am sure it will be like the lines that spontaneously form when a Supercharger fills. All the backwards CCS cars will populate the SpC from the right leaving the Teslas and Tesla-norm CCS cars to fill the spaces where you actually park in the Supercharger's correct space. This will result in a single unused space between the two opposing sides, perhaps a cone could be placed in that space that says <--Teslas/CCS--> and people can move it to meet demand
It would seem that the CCS enabled charger should always be the right most charger (assuming there is some buffer between a side curb or cabinet, so any car could park either IN the stall or to the RIGHT of the stall? Might not be fully possible at this point for all chargers, but certainly many might have an open space to the right.

Well, you currently can't, as non-MagicDock locations aren't listed in the map to select. Sure, they could make it so you could do that, but they won't. Just like in Europe they are only opening select locations, even though every one of them has CCS and could be used by non-Teslas. They aren't intending to let CCS vehicles use the entire Supercharger network.
Well, at this point it just means they aren’t ENABLED, but requiring the MD solution it might be a solid way to truly limit how many non-Teslas could effectively charger or monopolize a Tesla charging location, regardless of whether TECHNICALLY the solution could be turned on if they wished to.

I’ve had people for several years bring some sort of Tesla to CCS adaptor to Tesla Destination chargers and take up all the stalls charging whatever NON tesla car they bring. Of course, there is no fee or authentication there, but it’s already been an issue in some areas where one thinks based on the Tesla SC “network” map that there will be chargers available, but can often be 50-100% occupied by NON tesla cars. YMMV

IMHO, Tesla could have redesigned stalls for existing SuperCharger locations to prevent CCS vehicles taking two stalls. The new SuperChargers should have two clearly marked areas: one for Tesla only, and the other one for Tesla/CCS vehicles.
If not, we are going to face long waiting lines because the number of available stalls would be cut in half.

Watching the OofS video with Dave's GV60 it seems like there might be a way to move the GV60 partly into the correct spot (obviously not all the way) and maybe still have a Tesla pull in next to it (also not perfectly in the spot) and not have a blocked spot. But if another CCS car wants the next spot past the Tesla that wouldn't work. Although a line of Teslas all shifted over a bit may still work.

Still, going to be lots of issues at busy stations if Tesla opens any busy stations. Especially if everyone feels they have to park perfectly between the lines. I know in Europe they didn't open up the busy stations so hopefully that will be the case in the US (and if it ever opens in Canada).

Reactions: MP3Mike
IMHO, Tesla could have redesigned stalls for existing SuperCharger locations to prevent CCS vehicles taking two stalls. The new SuperChargers should have two clearly marked areas: one for Tesla only, and the other one for Tesla/CCS vehicles.
If not, we are going to face long waiting lines because the number of available stalls would be cut in half.
While we don’t yet know what the strategy or plan for deployment is, for how many per SC location, how many SC’s, WHICH SC locations, knowing that only 10% of the available SC stalls will be CCS enabled wouldn’t mean that nearly 50% of overall stalls could be cut in half..

Certainly, if Tesla enabled ALL stalls at 1 SC with say 10 Stalls, and then did NONE at some or only 5-10% at others - to net out at 10% overall well then that ONE SC location with all Stalls enabled for CCS could have close to 50% (but still probably still not 50% since I doubt every situation would require two stalls to be taken up what with a right most stall with space next to it always allowing a CSS car of any type to charge without blocking another stall) or certainly MANY CCS enabled cars can pull IN or BACK in and charge similar to a Tesla Without taking up two spaces.

But yes, it could get a bit out of hand and frisky during peak holiday periods, weekends maybe on roadtrips, some URBAN locations where it’s already a cage match to get a spot, who’s next, etc. (I’m talking to YOU Santa Barbara and Carlsbad!)

Reactions: Falcon73
I noted that I don't have the option to charge a non-tesla in my Tesla app. I'm in Canada where it obviously isn't open. But if I traveled to the US with a CCS car would it then allow me that option based on geo-location??
No. From the FAQ:

Can I Supercharge if I am visiting a pilot Supercharger site from another country?
The non-Tesla Supercharger pilot is currently limited to EV drivers who live in the following countries:
  • United States
  • Australia
  • The Netherlands
  • France
  • Norway
  • Germany
  • UK
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Belgium
  • Austria
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • Luxembourg
  • Switzerland
  • Iceland
  • Italy
Tesla drivers from any country can charge as they normally would at these sites.

It's not just the lines, it's that the app will tell you stalls are open and then you arrive to find a line. Had you known you'd have stopped at an earlier charger...